Should people who oppose gay marriage be banned from this forum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: #fightintolerance
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Should people who oppose gay marriage be banned from this forum?  (Read 7966 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »

No, they will evolve eventually.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »

How surprised. Shua misintreprets things on purpose again, to fit his agenda than social conservatives are discriminated.

They are not. Trolls are.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »

They are on the AlternateHistory.com message board, so it's not unheard of for a reasonable level-headed forum to enact such a rule.

I didn't know that was the case although I remember they banned the thelyniezien for constantly bringing up the subject.

Didn't the AH mods ban you?

Yes but because I was an immature p**** a half-decade ago.

You're allowed to say penis again, friend. Inks isn't moderator anymore.

Evidently Inks spends most of his free time reporting posts with profanity according to MODLEAKS on the IRC.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »

They are on the AlternateHistory.com message board, so it's not unheard of for a reasonable level-headed forum to enact such a rule.

I didn't know that was the case although I remember they banned the thelyniezien for constantly bringing up the subject.

Didn't the AH mods ban you?

Yes but because I was an immature p**** a half-decade ago.

You're allowed to say penis again, friend. Inks isn't moderator anymore.

Evidently Inks spends most of his free time reporting posts with profanity according to MODLEAKS on the IRC.

Awful. This sort of anti-social would-be vigilantism he is undertaking needs to be cracked down.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »

I think respectful  hatred along the lines of TJ or DC is not banworthy.

Neither TJ nor DC are hateful people in the least.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 12:46:04 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2014, 12:49:50 AM by shua »

How surprised. Shua misintreprets things on purpose again, to fit his agenda than social conservatives are discriminated.

There is no misrepresentation involved. This poll is a simple enough question. What is your opinion on it?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:16 AM »

There is no misrepresentation involved. This poll is a simple enough question. What is your opinion on it?

I obviously voted no. I deeply respect TJ, he is a very insightful poster. We happen to disagree on certain subjects, but he is an huge FF in my book.

That's not the case of everyone.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 02:04:54 AM »

No.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:03 AM »

No.  People who married this forum should be opposed to gay bannings.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 03:41:24 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2014, 03:47:23 AM by Hifly »

I think respectful  hatred along the lines of TJ or DC is not banworthy. But vocally overt homophobia (aka Hilfy) should be.

What overt homophobia?  

I think I support more gay rights than DC or TJ do.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 04:10:50 AM »

A claim that if true just makes your opposition to gay marriage more jarring because their opposition has the benefit of making sense.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:09 AM »

A claim that if true just makes your opposition to gay marriage more jarring because their opposition has the benefit of making sense.

So you accept religious opposition to gay marriage as a valid reason?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 06:04:30 AM »

You know that opposing gay marriage is not worthy of a ban, shua. The question should have been: "should an Oxford College sweet irredentist be banned from this forum?" Maybe, or maybe not. Why not another poll on how nice looks Eastern Prussia in historical atlases or on the advisability of a Hapsburg dynasty comeback? I sing the Radetzky March sometimes, because I'm all for the Austro-Hungarian monarchy.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 06:27:54 AM »

The only valid opposition to gay marriage is opposition to the archaic construct in its entirety. Anything else is recycling engrained dogma or bigotry.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 06:45:32 AM »

No of course not. If we don't just want to become another echo chamber like free republic or democratic underground we can't just randomly start to ban people based on their opinion on certain issues.

That being said, I fully support calling people like Hifly out on their overt bigotry towards other people.   
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 07:18:22 AM »

No...?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »

They are on the AlternateHistory.com message board, so it's not unheard of for a reasonable level-headed forum ideological echo chambers to enact such a rule.

edited for a better description.

But the objection to anti-SSM opinions are in my opinion okay on AH.com, because it's a historical forum where they sometime discuss politics. But what you suggest are making a mainstream political opinion ground for banning on a political forum. It would destroy debate, create a discussion culture of baiting, both people careful avoiding saying anything direct, and also people trying to lay trap and tattling to the moderators. It would be a disaster for the forum.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The moment it was no longer mainstreamed (as in social acceptable to support).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »

The only valid opposition to gay marriage is opposition to the archaic construct in its entirety. Anything else is recycling engrained dogma or bigotry.

I simply believe that marriage is a traditional institution which should not be sullied through arbitrary redefinition. I like the homosexuals and I have homosexual friends. But I do not support them having the ability to enter matrimony.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »

I simply believe that marriage is a traditional institution which should not be sullied through arbitrary redefinition. I like the homosexuals and I have homosexual friends. But I do not support them having the ability to enter matrimony.

Maintaining a tradition for the sake of the tradition is the worst reason to do so. All traditions of any kind should always be under a lens of strict scrutiny, and be replaced, modified, or altogether removed if it becomes inadequate, outdated or inegalitarian.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »

That was Snowstalker.  The real Hifly has never stated the reasons for his opposition to marriage equality so clearly or succinctly, AFAIK.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »

That was Snowstalker.  The real Hifly has never stated the reasons for his opposition to marriage equality so clearly or succinctly, AFAIK.

Aye I see. When posting on an iPhone it's a lot easier to go by avatars.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »

^ Same.  I fell for it too, and thought he'd started talking to himself.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »

Everyone who honestly thinks people who hold terrible opinions should be banned should be banned from this forum. Basically:

I really enjoy this place. I think it's a unique dot on the internet where a lot of people with interesting brains have somehow congregated to discuss society and the minutia of politics. But it is such a colossal waste of everyone's time that I can't help but feel that its absence could possibly lead to wonderful achievements in a myriad of fields.

Or, you know, we'd all occupy ourselves doing something equally as useless yet entertaining. Whatever.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »

No.

The thing about gay people is that they are incredibly patient. We've always had to wait on each step of the rights movement from decriminalisation to marriage, on the majority deciding when it was appropriate to give us some rights. How very nice of them. So we can wait. But there will be a point when opposing it becomes indefensible. When society isn't crumbling because of it and people you know are gay and married and the vast majority of people don't even notice sexuality as a defining characteristic, those who still oppose it or wave about a leather book en lieu of using thought will join the ranks of societies greatest assholes alongside those who think women should be in the kitchen and mixed race babies are an abomination.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:59 AM »

I accept it as less nonsensical than whatever your reasoning is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies