Millennials Up For Grabs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:59:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Millennials Up For Grabs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Millennials Up For Grabs?  (Read 21342 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

The Millennials:

1) Typically connect Bill Clinton as "their" president growing up
2) Blame George Bush and Karl Rove for this nation's problems and experienced that trainwreck of a second term after two solid economic terms under Clinton (his doing or not)
3) Are socially liberal
4) Are far less religious
5) Are growing up in more unstable households than generations past. The "family values" deal may be a thing of the past
6) Viewed Mitt Romney as a smug elitist (overall). 
7) Don't like being told their s..t stinks and that they have to work for everything.
Cool Are entitled, or believe they are.

The Republicans just don't connect with that, but #1/#2 were absolutely backbreaking for the GOP concerning those 22-35 years old.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

I think that the Millennial cohort (1977 to 1992 births) will be solidly in the Democratic column for quite some time to come, but the post-1993 cohort will probably lean right. 

As a 1981 millenial I beg to differ personally.

The Millennials:

2) Blame George Bush and Karl Rove for this nation's problems and experienced that trainwreck of a second term after two solid economic terms under Clinton (his doing or not)
3) Are socially liberal
5) Are growing up in more unstable households than generations past. The "family values" deal may be a thing of the past
7) Don't like being told their s..t stinks and that they have to work for everything.

The Republicans just don't connect with that, but #1/#2 were absolutely backbreaking for the GOP concerning those 22-35 years old.

1. I connected to Reagan as my president
2. I blame both Republicans and Democrats for the nations problems though I concede the point regarding Clinton/Gingrich terms of economic prosperity
3. I'm socially conservative
4. I do take my faith seriously
5. Unstable home life is an understatement but I plan on changing as much of that as I can
6. Your right on that one
7. Um I don't think so
8. See #7

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »

So what is everyone's definition of the Millennial Generation? Just so we know each other's viewpoint.

I personally ascribe to the 1982 starting point view, but think the end year is more 2000 - 2005.

And what are we calling the generation after?

I agree with a start at about 1980 or so to around 1997-1998 ish. I've always felt being a Millennial required two things: remembering the growth of computers and 9/11.

In terms of technology, I was born in 1993 and I firmly remember my family buying our first computer in 1998 and dealing with dial-up. When I was growing up, we weren't truly universally connected yet. For kids that were born in 1998-2001, it's incredibly likely that they've never experienced life without a computer and their first phone will very likely be a smart phone. Sure, my sister who was born in 1985 experienced changes in technology that I never knew, but we both lived life before the Internet permeated all aspects of a person's life.

As for politics, I hate to ascribe to a certain euphemism, but 9/11 really did change a lot about the way America operated, almost to a way that all Boomers remember the changes in society during the late 1960's. Racism towards those who looked like Muslims didn't really exist before 9/11 to the extent it does today (this isn't to say they didn't face any prejudice before). Privacy was an afterthought, then the TSA patted you down in airports and surveillance become extensive. We learned what are government was capable of (torture, indefinite detention, lying to gain public support) in wartime.

If the Republican Party went full libertarian, they might win some votes from Millennials, but the neo con, socially conservative wing is almost always going to lose us 2-1 to the Democrats. We're not going to forgive them for Bush, for Iraq, for their backwards views on social issues, and the economic collapse that ruined our prime years in the economy. Their ignorance on this is why the core of young voters so eagerly votes for Obama, why they'll vote for Clinton, and it's why Jeb Bush will never win a national election. Unless there's a complete Democratic collapse, Jeb Bush losing is the one thing I'm completely certain of in 2016.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 11:12:25 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2014, 11:16:33 PM by Frodo »

Let's not forget that the demographic explosion of minorities skews heavily young and thus more likely to be Democratic. Minority births reached a majority in 2011 , and around 55-60% of today's under 18 group is minority. It is projected that the under 18 cohort will reach minority majority status later this decade.

The young vote will be skewing even more black and brown each election cycle , furthering their Democratic lean.

Unless the Republicans actually ... *gasp* ... reach out to minorities.

They won't. It's much easier for them to become the white party.

Historic levels of immigration being the main driving force behind it.  According to this study by the Brookings Institution, the polarization of the parties by race will benefit the GOP at least in the short to medium term given that whites will remain the vast majority in this country for decades to come -especially as registered voters. And if whites regard their interests are best served by the GOP, we will continue to see them winning an ever higher percentage of the white vote.  
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »

Speaking of generations, I've always felt that the Baby Boomer generation (born 1946-1964) does not really match the counter-cultural associations given to it, given that, for instance, Mario Savio and other leaders of the Berkeley Free Speech movement were born 1942-44 and thus are technically a part of the Silent Generation. At the other end of the spectrum, someone born in 1964 and would have graduated college in 1986, e.g., later than the character Bud Fox in Wall Street. An alternative, more cultural definition of the generations:

1942-1960 : Baby Boomers
1961-1979: Generation X
1980-1998: Millennial
1999-: Homeland

This also matches up closer with the Strauss and Howe definitions, except I tried to make each one exactly 19 years.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »

nah, even if Repubs get on board with pot and gay marriage, youngs will be on the Dem train for good since the party took on their most important issues. And the few who have full time employment are firmly ensconced in financial services/money shuffling professions, so they are on board with the party that has given Wall Street everything in their wildest dreams.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 01:02:49 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 01:05:49 PM by dmmidmi »

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

Pretty spot-on, especially that last sentence.

I think that the Millennial cohort (1977 to 1992 births) will be solidly in the Democratic column for quite some time to come, but the post-1993 cohort will probably lean right.  

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

2. I blame both Republicans and Democrats for the nations problems though I concede the point regarding Clinton/Gingrich terms of economic prosperity
5. Unstable home life is an understatement but I plan on changing as much of that as I can
7. Um I don't think so
8. See #7

Just to be clear--you were seven years old when the President you identify with the most left office.

I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong to feel that way, but this is kind of inconsistent with the original observation.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 05:44:53 AM »

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

This is mostly true with the exception of #7. It's not that millennials don't want to work, it's that we cannot find any work. Many millennials my age are more concerned about the bread and butter issues like the economy and education than we are about marriage equality or abortion. Millennials have been told their whole lives to go to college because it'll get us farther ahead with better paying jobs, so naturally millennials are going to vote for a party that sees education as a right and not as a privilege for the favored few. Many millennials after college are finding themselves moving back in with their parents because the jobs they went to college for just aren't there for them. I see and hear about it so often about how they are having to get low-paying jobs or work multiple part-time jobs in retail or restaurants just to make ends meet (I'm one of them with two part-time jobs, one of which is minimum wage while the other pays about $2.00 an hour more. My friend world three jobs, two of which are minimum wage and even moonlights as a drag queen just to have extra cash and he's still almost always broke). For these millennials, the prospect of raising the minimum wage appeals to them since many are working minimum wage jobs. I would argue that it's not solely about the cultural issues, although that certainly does play a factor as most millennials reject the family values nonsense spewed from the right regarding marriage equality. Not sure how my generation feels as a whole on sbortion as that's not a major issue to me when I vote since I'm a) not a woman and b) not straight and c) never going to have children, although I certainly consider myself pro-choice as I believe the government should not be in the business of making reproductive health decisions for women. The culture issues do turn millennials off because we/they grew up/are growing up in a time where more gay people are coming out and it's being more accepted, even in schools where it's cool to have a gay friend.

sg0508
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2014, 07:31:02 AM by sg0508 »

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

This is mostly true with the exception of #7. It's not that millennials don't want to work, it's that we cannot find any work. Many millennials my age are more concerned about the bread and butter issues like the economy and education than we are about marriage equality or abortion. Millennials have been told their whole lives to go to college because it'll get us farther ahead with better paying jobs, so naturally millennials are going to vote for a party that sees education as a right and not as a privilege for the favored few. Many millennials after college are finding themselves moving back in with their parents because the jobs they went to college for just aren't there for them. I see and hear about it so often about how they are having to get low-paying jobs or work multiple part-time jobs in retail or restaurants just to make ends meet (I'm one of them with two part-time jobs, one of which is minimum wage while the other pays about $2.00 an hour more. My friend world three jobs, two of which are minimum wage and even moonlights as a drag queen just to have extra cash and he's still almost always broke). For these millennials, the prospect of raising the minimum wage appeals to them since many are working minimum wage jobs. I would argue that it's not solely about the cultural issues, although that certainly does play a factor as most millennials reject the family values nonsense spewed from the right regarding marriage equality. Not sure how my generation feels as a whole on sbortion as that's not a major issue to me when I vote since I'm a) not a woman and b) not straight and c) never going to have children, although I certainly consider myself pro-choice as I believe the government should not be in the business of making reproductive health decisions for women. The culture issues do turn millennials off because we/they grew up/are growing up in a time where more gay people are coming out and it's being more accepted, even in schools where it's cool to have a gay friend.

I'm a Millennial as well.  Many are finding out their first job isn't their dream job, and it's not meant to be.  You have to pay your dues and many from the age of 20-30 just don't want to do it.  Guess what? The supply of labor badly exceeds the demand for our labor. As for going to college....look at how many go to college and waste their time while there.  They get wasted/stoned, but don't learn anything, don't bother networking, and then oops, no employer wants me and I bring no value or skills to the market as a college graduate. That's the reality.  

As for Minimum Wage, most people have no concept (and it's scary) that raising that just results in an inflation adjustment for cost.  

There is work out there, but the prospect of putting in 80+ hour weeks the first few years out of school for an average salary doesn't appeal to many Millennials.  As a CPA/Accountant in practice, I see it all the time.  Many can't handle it and quit after a year in public or private accounting, and then boom, their careers are off to a train-wreck of a start, living at home, with no path to success.  As for the hours in some industries...it is what it is and yes, there are sacrifices that sometimes have to be made, including personal relationships during that "paying your dues" timeframe. It's all a choice.

That is the reality.  The odds are clearly against the Milliennials in this global economy given the supply/demand labor, but I get annoyed when I hear "there's no work available for decent money".  There is, but do the Millennials want to do the work and EARN it is the bigger question.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 06:25:54 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2014, 06:28:00 PM by MooMooMoo »

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

I'm a Millennial as well.  Many are finding out their first job isn't their dream job, and it's not meant to be.  You have to pay your dues and many from the age of 20-30 just don't want to do it.  Guess what? The supply of labor badly exceeds the demand for our labor. As for going to college....look at how many go to college and waste their time while there.  They get wasted/stoned, but don't learn anything, don't bother networking, and then oops, no employer wants me and I bring no value or skills to the market as a college graduate. That's the reality.  

As for Minimum Wage, most people have no concept (and it's scary) that raising that just results in an inflation adjustment for cost.  

There is work out there, but the prospect of putting in 80+ hour weeks the first few years out of school for an average salary doesn't appeal to many Millennials.  As a CPA/Accountant in practice, I see it all the time.  Many can't handle it and quit after a year in public or private accounting, and then boom, their careers are off to a train-wreck of a start, living at home, with no path to success.  As for the hours in some industries...it is what it is and yes, there are sacrifices that sometimes have to be made, including personal relationships during that "paying your dues" timeframe. It's all a choice.

That is the reality.  The odds are clearly against the Milliennials in this global economy given the supply/demand labor, but I get annoyed when I hear "there's no work available for decent money".  There is, but do the Millennials want to do the work and EARN it is the bigger question.

I have kind of learned the hard way that STEM jobs are really the only way to go and to have a high enough GPA to get into a graduate program helps you avoid dead end jobs that give you the Pawn Star treatment.

What are you looking for?
Ugh.....50?
Not gonna happen. We can do 33.
45?
34 is my last offer.

That's about what you get with a graduate adsistship.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »

The population of my high school in suburban Massachusetts is pretty conservative, not sure if you can't the rest of us with the same paint but that's just my observation as a millennial.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 07:04:30 PM »

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

Pretty spot-on, especially that last sentence.

The Millennials:

3) Are socially liberal

7. Um I don't think so
8. See #7

Just to be clear--you were seven years old when the President you identify with the most left office.

I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong to feel that way, but this is kind of inconsistent with the original observation.

As a 1992 born, I was about as young when Clinton left office...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »

Good news for Republicans!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »

I can believe it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »

I don't think Millenials will necessarily swing to the right, but many will stay home because they won't be enthused about Hillary.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 11:33:24 PM »

I don't think Millenials will necessarily swing to the right, but many will stay home because they won't be enthused about Hillary.

Where's your evidence for this assertion? Every poll I've seen has Hillary dominating among Millennials, both in the primary and the general election. For instance, the most recent CNN poll has her leading Romney 63-34 among 18-34 year olds, a bigger margin than Obama won them by in 2012. Seems like you're projecting based off your own personal bias here.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 01:00:05 AM »

I don't see Millennials shifting to the actual right. The GOP keeps hoping that there will be a 'candidate' ... it keeps showing they just don't get it. As long as the GOP's policy platform remains as ridiculous as it is, they've not got a hope.

Hillary will be fine.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »

Where's your evidence for this assertion? Every poll I've seen has Hillary dominating among Millennials, both in the primary and the general election. For instance, the most recent CNN poll has her leading Romney 63-34 among 18-34 year olds, a bigger margin than Obama won them by in 2012. Seems like you're projecting based off your own personal bias here.

Wait till they find out how much a warmonger 3rd way corporatist she is.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:18 AM »

To be fair, a lot of us remember 2008. It's not as if those positions weren't brought to the forefront during the primary.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 03:45:55 AM »

Where do you come up with these terms? Get over yourself already. 

I highly doubt Millennials are going to go running to the Republicans all because Hillary cast one "bad" vote for a war that was 12-14 years ago when they were only in diapers. The Iraq War isn't going to matter to them (only to the so-called "true progressives" and Hillary haters such as yourself), and I really doubt they are going to go running to the Republicans when they hear the comments replayed regarding rape and birth control and how the Republicans want to tell people whom they can and cannot marry.   
OAM

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »

Can't believe I missed this topic.  Millennial voting patters are actually shaping up to be my specialty within academia and I recently conducted a survey study and wrote a 50ish page quant thesis using it, regarding issue importance and millennial voters.

Being a bit late to the party in here, there's a bit too much to be to just jump right into, but if there's anything people might be curious with specific questions I might be able to help.  Far from me to claim to be an expert, but it was good enough the university paid to send me to a national research convention and pay for a fancy chart to go with my findings (which, in short, has parts that could point either way.  Personally I wouldn't say a millennial shift is impossible, but the GOP would need to shift as well for it to happen)
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »

Can't believe I missed this topic.  Millennial voting patters are actually shaping up to be my specialty within academia and I recently conducted a survey study and wrote a 50ish page quant thesis using it, regarding issue importance and millennial voters.

Being a bit late to the party in here, there's a bit too much to be to just jump right into, but if there's anything people might be curious with specific questions I might be able to help.  Far from me to claim to be an expert, but it was good enough the university paid to send me to a national research convention and pay for a fancy chart to go with my findings (which, in short, has parts that could point either way.  Personally I wouldn't say a millennial shift is impossible, but the GOP would need to shift as well for it to happen)

I think, as a whole, technically, my fellow Millennials are trending Libertarian in their views, which could benefit the GOP, but possibly could not. I guess it would depend on whether those voters care more about social issues, which could lead them to supporting a Democrat, or if they care more about economic issues, which could lead them to supporting a Republican.
OAM

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »

Eh, I wouldn't exactly say libertarian, though as always "it depends".  There's certainly some things that could point to that, but a lot of it is also in the phraseology.  That would be a topic for another day, however.

In short though, from the questions I asked, in general those under 25 marked general economic issues (for the purposes of this answer represented by traditional welfare) at around 30% of the time.  Of those who marked it important, roughly 30% could be considered pro-Democrat, 45% pro-Republican, and the remaining 25% undecided (but apparently thinking the issue is important.  The option was allowed for participants to admit they did not know enough about an issue to make an informed decision, and it was actually used to a degree).  Of the entire demographic surveyed, roughly 20% could be considered pro-Democrat, 35% pro-Republican, and the remaining 45% undecided.

Granted, this information is likely only valid for the state of Illinois.  My university pulls from all corners of the state and I was able to get roughly 5% of the entire university to participate (because having access to the emailing list is a great tool.  If we're just counting how many people it was sent out to vs responses, I had a 23% response rate which is pretty unheard of in a lot of survey work).

All that being said, at average importance participants put on social issues was around 65%, and most of the time on those issues the overall sample polled at about 70% in the Democrat direction, which is a significant lead.  Furthermore, one metric I performed involved sorting issue importance by self-professed party identification in an effort to judge motivational levels.  Those professing to be Democrats were significantly more likely to mark issues and important (in the instructions, an issue being important was defined to the participants as an issue that would be specifically likely to induce political action at the voter level or greater).  The top five issues for Democrats were all rated between 55% and 62%.  The highest for Republicans was 52% (Immigration Reform), with second place at 43%, then a sharp drop off.  The respondents were actually pretty evenly split between Dem, Rep, and Ind, with Dem pushed out to 38% and the other two more or less splitting the remaining share.

I'll stop blithering on here for the moment.  Trying to retrieve my actual data from the toolset, but the program is a bit buggy, and not working with it since April doesn't help.  Most of my options wouldn't be much use to anyone without SPSS or Stata to display the raw data either, but there could be a few other ways for me to share.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »

So as allegedly obsessed the likes of the Udall campaign are with social issues, its actually a good idea. Of course, with there being a 50/50 chance that Supreme Court will throw out the Right to Privacy in the next five years, it may be a good idea. The Republican Party has told libertarianesque moderates that they just say stuff to get people to vote and that they were unable to act on those things. With that gone, things will be different.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »

As a 20 year old born in 1994, I personally lean towards the growing Libertarian wing within the GOP, and I also know several other people in my age group who are also leaning in that direction. On the other hand, I live in suburban Georgia, which is currently a GOP stronghold as is.

Nationally, I agree that those born after 1993 will be more pro-GOP than the 1982 - 1992 crowd. However, the Republicans must become moderate to liberal on social issues. People in my age group are less keen about the Democrat Party's view on fiscal matters, but we're as socially liberal as those who were born in the 80's. An evangelical, socially conservative GOP cannot survive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies