Discussion about Organ Scholarships split from Comedy Institute
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:24:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Discussion about Organ Scholarships split from Comedy Institute
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Discussion about Organ Scholarships split from Comedy Institute  (Read 435 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
« edited: August 01, 2014, 03:03:13 PM by Bacon King »

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:39:21 AM »

Please be aware that an Oxbridge organ scholarship is not like an American sports scholarship where you can be dumb as dumb can be and get into good universities.
You must have exactly the same academic credentials as normal candidates (they are extremely strict in this respect except maybe for candidates applying to read Music) with the added extra that you are able to play a significant part in Chapel music (I have a professional diploma in organ performance with music theory). The academic interview and application processes are all the same, with the exception that they are carried out earlier.
The best organist among my application year group was rejected outright before interview.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »

who careeessss
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »

I don't know what's going on here but I just wanted to say I gave Hilfy's mom a full-ride organ scholarship last night. Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »

Please be aware that an Oxbridge organ scholarship is not like an American sports scholarship where you can be dumb as dumb can be and get into good universities.
You must have exactly the same academic credentials as normal candidates (they are extremely strict in this respect except maybe for candidates applying to read Music) with the added extra that you are able to play a significant part in Chapel music (I have a professional diploma in organ performance with music theory). The academic interview and application processes are all the same, with the exception that they are carried out earlier.
The best organist among my application year group was rejected outright before interview.

I'll admit Oxford is a really high-ranked school and you should be proud of yourself for getting in and even prouder for graduating.  That being said, you seem to have convinced yourself that going to a higher-ranked college than someone else means you're inherently better than them or that it makes your opinion more legitimate than theirs regardless of the context.  Your posts about Oxford are often dripping with egomania and (albeit to a lesser degree) condescension towards anyone who didn't go there.  I didn't go to a "name" college and I'm not ashamed to admit that I got rejected by the two of the highest ranked schools I applied to (Kenyon and Oberlin).  I know there is no way in hell I'd even be considered by Oxford either, but you know something?  I'm better off for it.  I'm pretty sure I got a lot more out of my college experience than you did based on your posts here.  Let's compare and contrast, shall we? 

You probably met some people who will be useful down the road, but (and I don't know you, so this could be way off) you really don't seem to be too happy.  If anything, it's like you're so insecure about the whole thing that you need to constantly try to make everyone else feel inferior because they didn't go there instead of just being happy with yourself.  This strange and rather annoying inability of yours to talk about Oxford without turning it into a pissing match or trying to make some silly hierarchy out of it (using it to put others down instead of just being content with your accomplishment) is quite telling.

On the other hand, I admit my college experience wasn't perfect, but I sure as hell came out of it a lot more prepared for the real world than I was going in.  I didn't go to some big-name school and I'm doing just fine.  I have a great job in a field I've wanted to work in for as long as I can remember.  I got my job only three weeks after I graduated.  I admit I don't have my own place yet, but I've been able to help my parents quite a bit with the bills and will be helping more and more until I can move out, so I won't be jeopardizing their retirement.  Most importantly, I'm content enough with where I'm at in my life that I don't feel the need to rub it in everyone's face twenty four hours a day.  I can just be satisfied with what I've accomplished and you know something?  I didn't have to go to Oxford to do it.  What's more, I doubt I'm the only one here who did pretty well for themself without attending Oxford.

TLDR version: Seriously dude, enough with the Oxford stuff.  We get it, you went to Oxford, we heard you the first 500 times.  It doesn't make you Emperor of the Atlas Forum.  Plenty of people are doing just fine without ever so much as applying for Oxford.  We don't need the Official Hifly Seal of Approval ® for our opinions to be valid either Angry

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gutCFMc5khY
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2014, 06:25:14 PM by Hifly »

If I had not cleared that up you would be wondering I got accepted simply because I could play the organ.

I don't like having to repeat all this all the time, but some of you really force me to. It's not my intention to rub it into peoples' faces, if you try and make fun of me because of it, I will use it against you.

Also jdb, I'm nowhere near graduating (yet)! I start in October (yes I've mentioned this too).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »

Joe Republic, please stop trying to insult me. Whether you like it or not, I was accepted to the greatest university in the world on an organ scholarship; the only reason you interpret me as being boastful about it is because how much you bring it up and force me to respond.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »

Joe Republic, please stop trying to insult me. Whether you like it or not, I was accepted to the greatest university in the world on an organ scholarship; the only reason you interpret me as being boastful about it is because how much you bring it up and force me to respond.

**** off.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »

I got accepted simply because I could play the organ.

I have indeed noticed that you are exceptional at playing the organ. You, as an Oxford student, will astutely notice that my usage of "organ" points towards your genitalia. Ungainly as it may be, your lateral thinking will also connect the dots and realize that my reference to your genitalia is symbolic - to your ego and self-worth. How your intellectual caliber has penetrated my multilayered facade to reveal the true intent of my barb! You have realized that I've accused your head of being firmly lodged inside of your excrement's last passage. An overwhelming urge froths in your subconscious - a wish to call me childish. Truly is this the pontification of a poo-poo head.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »

Is Snowstalker trying to pull a Vander Blubb?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »

Unfunny discussion is banned from the institute so if you must talk about oxford organ scholarships please do so here

PS snowstalker stop impersonating hifly it's p. funny yeah but let's not be dicks
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »

If I had not cleared that up you would be wondering I got accepted simply because I could play the organ.

I don't like having to repeat all this all the time, but some of you really force me to. It's not my intention to rub it into peoples' faces, if you try and make fun of me because of it, I will use it against you.

Also jdb, I'm nowhere near graduating (yet)! I start in October (yes I've mentioned this too).

Does this mean you have yet to take even a semester of college?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »

It's pretty disastrous that this went so badly wrong. "Organ scholarship" is an inherently funny phrase. "Me and the head boy studied organs on the rugger grounds wot".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies