Atlasians For Parliamentary Democracy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:15:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasians For Parliamentary Democracy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atlasians For Parliamentary Democracy  (Read 855 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »

This is not, I stress, a new political party. This is a political action group dedicated to advancing the idea of an Atlasian Parliament as opposed to the current political system. I ask everyone and anyone who supports this idea to sign in below.

X Dr. Cynic
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »

I've flirted with this idea but came to the conclusion that it would be quite literally unworkable. We don't have anywhere near the active membership that a parliamentary government - a government party, an opposition, backbenchers... - would require in order to function.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »

xGAworth

If only to simply bring up the issue.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »

I've flirted with this idea but came to the conclusion that it would be quite literally unworkable. We don't have anywhere near the active membership that a parliamentary government - a government party, an opposition, backbenchers... - would require in order to function.

I agree - to me, this is a critical-mass issue. I don't see the critical mass of activity.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:17 PM »

I agree - to me, this is a critical-mass issue. I don't see the critical mass of activity.

It has to be promoted though and is is something worth exploring at least. I think that by promoting the idea, you can eventually find the activity you need for it. It might take awhile, it might never happen. Since when though does that stop an advocacy group?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:48:13 PM »

No, absolutely have the discussion but if something like this is going to happen, it's a long-game scenario.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »

No, absolutely have the discussion but if something like this is going to happen, it's a long-game scenario.

Right now even, the group is just in a planning phase. I'm not saying I want this done tomorrow. This is something I want to work towards eventually.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 01:39:38 AM »

I'll support this.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:45:56 AM »

x TheCranberry
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »

x LumineVonReuental

I understand how hard would be to enact this type of change, but I would personally enjoy a Parliamentary system (and I worked with the Progressive Union to create a Shadow Cabinet back in January, even if many mocked the idea) and I feel it's worth exploring and discussing the possibility. The bicameral proposal would certainly be of great help if it passes the regions.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »

A parliamentary democracy is an interesting concept, no doubt, but I agree that activity at this time would make this system unworkable.

But by all means, let us discuss this and present the pros and cons.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

Basically, this all party group is designed to advance the idea of a parliamentary government. Sure, right now, there probably isn't the activity to do it, but I figured what the hell?

There are a couple of ideas I have that could be batted around to see if it could work. The first idea lines up as follows:

PM---Leader of the Opposition
Secretary of Internal Affairs---Shadow Secretary
Foreign Secretary---Shadow Secretary
Treasury Secretary---Shadow Secretary

Backbenchers (Between 10-20. Depending on activity)

GM (as before)

Courts + Attorney General.

Elections are party list PR. (Haven't considered really if I prefer open or closed list)

Party loyalty will be more important in this particular style of the game.

That's the first proposal of what I'd hope a parliamentary system would look like.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »

Guys,
This game is based on the US.
Not the UK
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »

Guys,
Not the UK

It doesn't matter. It's not a model unique to any one country. The UK doesn't elect by party list PR and it's not like such a system can't be allowed here over time. That strikes me as an absurd reason to oppose it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 02:55:13 PM »

We could consolidate the regions. Also can we have a constitutional monarch? I want King Bacon.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »

Guys,
Not the UK

It doesn't matter. It's not a model unique to any one country. The UK doesn't elect by party list PR and it's not like such a system can't be allowed here over time. That strikes me as an absurd reason to oppose it.

Cynic,
There is a difference between simply changing the voting vote, and between completely changing the system, from a presidentialism system to a parlementarism system.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »

Guys,
Not the UK

Cynic,
There is a difference between simply changing the voting vote, and between completely changing the system, from a presidentialism system to a parlementarism system.

I want to change the system.... Someday. Let's face it, it's doubtful it will ever happen, however, it's not as if parliamentary democracy is unique to the UK.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »

x Barnes

I've long been in favor of this.  While I know the process of significant reform is daunting, it will never hurt to try! Wink
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »

x Supersonic
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »

I think what the ideologues fail to realize is how this would basically end Atlasia the game if it became a parliamentary style system. It may be cool for the hardcore politickers who are fascinated by how it works, but you'd literally have maybe 30 people who cared about it.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly support reform, and I authored a plan to overhaul this game, but I don't support the type of reform that will drive off 75% of the people who play this game.

Regardless, this would have 0 chance of passing a referendum, so it doesn't matter.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 05:00:27 PM »

We can't even get the admins to create individual regional sub-boards. There's no way they'd restructure for a parliamentary democracy. And that kills it right there.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »

If anyone has paid any attention to it, yes, it would probably end Atlasia. We probably would need to found a new nation (Though I've never understood why that's so horrible). But that's not necessarily the case. We would need a new constitution though.

As far as admins, that's not anyone's fault. Dump them and get new ones then that will. Shall we campaign for that? I know it's popular to campaign to dump admins...
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 07:21:22 AM »

A parliamentary democracy is an interesting concept, no doubt, but I agree that activity at this time would make this system unworkable.

But by all means, let us discuss this and present the pros and cons.

This table contains the number of registered citizens since January.
Also there is an average of the change between any update and with these numbers I've made projections of the numbers of registered citizens between 10, 20 and 30 updates. Also there are projections with the same method but with a different number of Office Holders, 68 (53 + 15). 15 is the number of members of an hypothetical House of Representatives.

I think that 15 is the perfect number for an hypothetical House of Representatives.
The 15 members should be elected by congressional districts (I suppose 3 for each region) or with a proportional system.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 07:27:29 AM »

15 members is nowhere near enough to create sufficient drama for a parliamentary politics simulation. The reason the parliamentary idea is unworkable is because there'd have to be (at the very least) upwards of 40-50 members (i.e. the entire office-holding population of Atlasia plus) in order to have an actual dynamic simulation.

With fifteen you'd have what, a party of eight people in government, five in the opposition, and maybe a couple of single member minor parties. Sounds a bit dull.

There's also the major issue that most people on the forum are Americans and don't care about parliamentary politics.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »

x IBDD
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies