Denver gay bar in trouble for not letting in gay guy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:16:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Denver gay bar in trouble for not letting in gay guy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Denver gay bar in trouble for not letting in gay guy  (Read 1017 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2014, 12:49:29 AM »

link-Denver Post

The short of it is that the gay bar is a "bear" bar and they have a dress code designed to keep women and effeminate gay men out (no high heels, wigs, excessive perfume).  The issue in question arose when a gay dude was out in drag (he isn't trans or a crossdresser) for a party and afterword wanted to stop into the Denver Wrangler for a bear...err, I mean beer and the bouncers refused him because he didn't look like the dude on his license.  They got busted a couple of years ago for serving an underage drinker so they are extra cautious now.

I put it in OT because it's kind of funny, but it also brings up a couple of good things for discussion I think.  Should private businesses be able to discriminate on the types (not race, not sex, not religion) of people they let in?  We'll always have legal dress codes (because the richers don't want to eat out at a fancy place next to my sloppy ass in shorts), but should they be on a tighter leash?  Should bear bars be forced to let in twinks?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »

Should bear bars be forced to let in twinks?

I'd say they should let otters in, but that's were the line should be drawn. Tongue 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »

Gay bars have the right to refuse anyone they want, just like any other bar.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »

I see LGBTs have finally begun discriminating against each other on the basis of their own internal hierarchies.  In other words, they have officially been been accepted by and assimilated into American society Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:18:09 AM »

I see LGBTs have finally begun discriminating against each other on the basis of their own internal hierarchies.  In other words, they have officially been been accepted by and assimilated into American society Tongue

From what I hear, it's been happening for a while.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »

My gay uncle, may he RIP, would strongly approve of this bar's stance against queens. These b*tches are always so overemotional and attention whorish they always would drag a good party down, or so he said.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »

My gay uncle, may he RIP, would strongly approve of this bar's stance against queens. These b*tches are always so overemotional and attention whorish they always would drag a good party down, or so he said.

What kind of disgusting lies.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

There's a bar here in Melbourne, The Laird, which is essentially a bear bar. One night a week they have a you-must-be-wearing-at-least-one-significant-item-of-leather night, and has a special right along with another bar to have male-only nights.

I've never been to either a male-only night there or a leather night, but on the other nights I've never seen a woman there, nor a drag queen. People tend to be fairly self selective I think.

One of the biggest issues a lot of the other gay bars have is hen's nights. The only gay bar in Canberra is usually about half straight, due to hen's nights and straight guys hoping to pick them up, and it's a bit of an issue that the one place where you have the ability to be in a space that is supposed to be free of the complications of sexuality all of a sudden isn't. That said, people who are discriminated against should attempt to avoid discriminating themselves.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:50 AM »

Should bear bars be forced to let in twinks?

I'd say they should let otters in, but that's were the line should be drawn. Tongue 

Even if they're butch, like the governor of Idaho?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies