Are suburban Republicans really more moderate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:44:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Are suburban Republicans really more moderate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are suburban Republicans really more moderate?  (Read 1438 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

I think it's been discussed here that suburban Republicans are more moderate than rural Republicans.  Interestingly, this did not hold up at all in the KS-SEN Republican primary.

http://hosted.ap.org/interactives/2014/primary-election-results/?state=KS&date=2014-08-05#

Wolf won several of the more suburban Eastern counties in the state but got crushed in rural KS.

In Idaho, Russ Fulcher carried Ada County against Otter.

Perhaps this is worth re-examining.  It seems like a common thread of very conservative states is very Republican suburbs, and these suburbs don't always seem to be more liberal than the rural areas.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »

It depends.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »

Well, off the top of my head: in the case of Kansas, maybe Republicans who live in suburban areas are less concerned about or less supportive of farm subsidies, and therefore would be more likely to support a "true fiscal conservative" over "RINO Roberts"?
GaussLaw
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »

Well, off the top of my head: in the case of Kansas, maybe Republicans who live in suburban areas are less concerned about or less supportive of farm subsidies, and therefore would be more likely to support a "true fiscal conservative" over "RINO Roberts"?

Exactly.  It seems easier to be a "true conservative" in a suburb/exurb than in a rural farming area.  It seems like it's taken for granted that the suburban Republicans are the more moderate ones, but this doesn't always seem to be the case at all.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »

It really does depend.

As for my state, looking at MS-Sen primary results it seems like some suburban counties (Madison, Rankin) are more moderate than some other ones (DeSoto, Hancock).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »

For what it's worth, Roberts is from western Kansas and Wolf is from JoCo, so that probably threw it off a bit. Wolf's campaign was also almost entirely focused on JoCo.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »

Not really. They're just more civilized and live in developed areas so they have to/know how to hide their bigotry more, but many would love to openly join their barbaric uneducated redneck brothers and sisters.
GaussLaw
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »

Not really. They're just more civilized and live in developed areas so they have to/know how to hide their bigotry more, but many would love to openly join their barbaric uneducated redneck brothers and sisters.

And people wonder why Democrats struggle in rural areas..........

Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »

HANABUSA WILL WIN GUYS ITS HER SEAT ITS HERS I SWEAR
NHLiberal

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »

No need to be so mean Sad
Nichlemn

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »

I think they tend to be more libertarian, so on social issues they may appear more "moderate", but on fiscal issues more "extreme".
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »

No, in fact, they may be more conservative than rural republicans. They are more politically active, and the more politically active a person is, the more likely he/she is to be ideological. There is an exception though: cultural and social issues. Often on ballot measures you can see on things like gay marriage, gun issues, marijuana, etc. its not only divided by partisanship but also by the type of area one lives in.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »

It depends on the suburbs. Suburban Chicago Republicans are UNQUESTIONABLY more moderate than Republicans in rural Illinois. That goes especially for social issues, but on economic issues as well, no exceptions.

That said, ElectionsGuy's territory is home to very conservative suburban Republicans. I would argue that suburban Milwaukee Republicans are more conservative than Republicans in Wisconsin's rural areas.

It really is dependent on the city's history and the history of the suburbs themselves. I would say that good correlations are the city's size, whereas for bigger cities the suburban population tens to be more moderate than for smaller cities. For example, the suburbs of LA, Chicago, and New York are considerably more liberal than the suburbs of Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, or Tampa. It also depends on the region of the country, being that more conservative regions like the south still have very liberal cities, but the suburban areas are where the fact that it is a conservative region of the country can really swing it. For example, Houston and Phoenix have much more conservative suburbs than Boston and San Francisco.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »

And people wonder why Democrats struggle in rural areas..........

Sad

LOL! By far the two most rural states are Vermont and Maine.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »

...oh dear god she's back
sg0508
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »

It's more of a stereotype, but being a former moderate republican from NY, it tends to hold true. Moderate Republicans:

1) Tend to have a high degree of education
2) Care about crime, law & order
3) Are often pro-choice.  You don't see that in rural areas that much.
4) Are pro-gay.  You also don't see this very much.
5) Economically, are conservative, and many hold white collar, financial services jobs.
GaussLaw
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »

It's more of a stereotype, but being a former moderate republican from NY, it tends to hold true. Moderate Republicans:

1) Tend to have a high degree of education
2) Care about crime, law & order
3) Are often pro-choice.  You don't see that in rural areas that much.
4) Are pro-gay.  You also don't see this very much.
5) Economically, are conservative, and many hold white collar, financial services jobs.

Well yeah, certainly NY moderate Republicans are like that.   

In general, I would agree with #1 as pretty much always true for suburban Republicans.  They also are probably more socially liberal, but I don't think it's a given that they're more fiscally on the left, especially on issues like farm subsidies. 

Places like Shelby County, AL and Williamson County, TN are well-educated and affluent but also deeply conservative both socially and economically (and quite religious), so I think suburban Republicans can come in all shades.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »

I don't think I've even posted about that race in months? And I never said she would definitely win, just that I wanted her to lol. Get over it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

I don't think I've even posted about that race in months? And I never said she would definitely win, just that I wanted her to lol. Get over it.

Well at least that's one thing Sanchez can do that she can't.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies