What is a WASP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:26:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is a WASP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is a WASP?  (Read 10019 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: August 07, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »

It's true that colonial New England was almost exclusively English (from southeast England) while the South had more Scots-Irish and Scots - but English ancestry is more common in the South. My point is "Scotch-Irish" seems to be a proxy for white Southerner, even though English ancestry is actually more common. The argument that the Civil War had something to do with a clash between Anglo-Saxon and Celtic culture is ludicrous.

The Celtic capital of North America would be the Canadian Maritimes.

I don't know too much about the Maritimes, but in the U.S., New England nowadays is unequivocally the center of any potential 'Celtic' culture.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »

After Newfoundland and Utah, Southern whites are the most ethnically homogeneous group of whites in North America.  It's well known the vast majority are of British descent.  The French, Germans, Czechs etc. tend to be in regional pockets on the periphery of the South.

Of course, they were mostly Scots-Irish.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »

Probably best to not over-analyze this.  I mean for me William F Buckley and the Kennedy clan were way more WASP in there upbringing than any Southrons. Boarding schools, Harvard-Yale, the country club, Newport, the Vineyard, white shoe firms.  The exclusivity of these WASP bastions are gone, so the term really doesnt mean anything anymore- like BRTD's favorite Catholic vote or Reagan Republican.

I assume you mean "Reagan Democrat" (though yes, "Reagan Republican" is a pointless and stupid term today, it'd be like someone calling themselves an "FDR Democrat"), but yes, WASP is a meaningless distinction today. As far as I'm concerned if you're white, you're white, the end.

There are quite a few culturally distinct groups though. Bosniaks and Jews for example. Even Italian-Americans often have a certain degree of cultural separation if they live in certain areas (Howard Beach and akin NYC areas spring to mind, but I think some suburbs in NJ are like this as well?)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies