Bredesen speaks out on Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:58:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Bredesen speaks out on Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bredesen speaks out on Hillary  (Read 2712 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2005, 03:02:07 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/43905.htm

April 5, 2005 --  WASHINGTON — A popular Democratic governor from the South has raised eyebrows by saying that Democrats should look beyond Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton for the 2008 White House race because people want "something different."

Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen — seen by some as a potential dark-horse presidential contender — said voters are "kind of dissatisfied" with all current Democratic 2008 prospects, according to the London Sunday Times.

"People love [Clinton] or they hate her, and I don't know in the end how all that plays out. But I sure hope there are other people who would step forward," he was quoted as saying.

"It may well be someone that nobody has thought of . . . The sense I get is that people are really hunting around and looking for something different."

He also questioned why 2008 speculation focuses on President Bush's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (who says he won't run), and Clinton (D-N.Y.).

"Surely in the United States we can go further than having to have a single family dominate one side and a single family dominate the other," said Bredesen, 61.

Bredesen's press secretary, Lydia Lenker, didn't dispute the quotes but said they were "taken out of context," adding that the interview was about the Democratic Party's future and "He wasn't out to say anything bad about Sen. Clinton."

Asked for comment, Clinton's spokesman, Philippe Reines, said only, "Sen. Clinton remains focused on being the best senator she can be for the people of New York."

The interview underscores concerns among some Democratic centrists that Clinton would have trouble appealing to rural and Southern voters.

A Bredesen ally said: "It's not an unusual observation that we might want to elect a president named something other than Clinton or Bush. Or with saying we might not want to hand the nomination to [Clinton] on a silver platter and want to reach out more aggressively to our blue-collar base."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »

This seems like a fairly un-subtle hint at a Bredesen run in 2008.

Oh, and this just sounds like Mike Naso:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...If you can believe Mike Naso when he says the same thing, you'll believe this statement too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 03:11:29 PM »

This seems like a fairly un-subtle hint at a Bredesen run in 2008.

He won't run but if he does, he won't go far. Pick up a few southern states here and there but nothing else. If it makes him feel better, he does have a great first name.  Smiley
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »

If he runs, heck, I might register as a Democrat to vote for him in the primaries.

On second thought, probably not.

But that said, I really wouldn't mind if he's our 44th President.

EDIT:  woot!  1000th post!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 03:40:40 PM »

He seems rude.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:05:33 PM »

I can see it now...

Bredesen, Warner, Bayh, Richardson, and Biden are going to run and split the moderate vote.  Feingold sneaks in the backdoor, snatches up the liberal vote, and wins the primary. 
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 04:10:53 PM »

Biden a moderate? Not in the universe I think I'm in.

Keep in mind, a lot of people explore bids, but back off before it gets too serious once they evaluate their chances. So rarely do you have many legitimate options.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 04:13:14 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2005, 04:16:16 PM by nickshepDEM »

Biden a moderate? Not in the universe I think I'm in.

Keep in mind, a lot of people explore bids, but back off before it gets too serious once they evaluate their chances. So rarely do you have many legitimate options.

Biden is not very well liked among the liberals I know.  He voted for the Partial birth abortion ban, he voted for the bankruptcy bill, he refered to Alberto Gonzales as "one of the good guys", etc...  That alone will put him on the liberals sh**t list come primary time 2008.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 04:26:45 PM »

A lot of people are on their sh**t list, but if you look at his ratings by various groups (ACU, ACLU, ADA, etc.) he scores as a consistent liberal.

Governors might have an edge in that they are less likely to be sh**t-listed than people in DC. But I'm not sure how much DU and DKos and Atrios really matter.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »

Biden is toast. End of story.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 06:05:02 PM »

Just another reason to like Bredesen. What a great man.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 06:33:33 PM »

Bredesen may have an ace in the hole with regards to competing against Hillary.  He'll take the Southern primaries with ease, including AR, and may do very well in NY, especially after they learn that he was born  a New York.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »

Bredesen may have an ace in the hole with regards to competing against Hillary.  He'll take the Southern primaries with ease, including AR, and may do very well in NY, especially after they learn that he was born  a New York.

But Hillary would still beat him there.  And, as Mo Udall could tell you, it doesn't matter if you come close...you need to win.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »

If Bredesen can come in second in NY, especially if it is by a respectable margin, and sweep the South, he has a very good shot at getting the nomination.  He'd have the big 'MO' on his side heading into the West.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 06:49:30 PM »

Yeah, that home state advantage really worked out for Al Sharpton.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 06:51:17 PM »

Yeah, that home state advantage really worked out for Al Sharpton.

Al Sharpton isn't really that liked in NYC and certainly isn't like in NY State in general, with the exception of certain black areas of NYC (and not all).  Bad comparison.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 07:54:42 PM »

Sharton is easily marginalized as a bull-horn carrying kook.  Bredesen, on the other hand, is not a kook, and to my knowledge, he leaves his bull-horn at home when making speeches.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 08:09:16 PM »

This could just as easily be about Bredesen's run for re-election as governor. If the state GOP tries to paint him as a partisan democrat, akin to the national party, it hurts his reelection chances  (although no one seems to be lining up to run against him). If he positions himself as different from Hillary Clinton, it will pretty much help him here.

Plus, Bredesen gets my appreciation for his statement against political dynasties. I'd been waiting for someone with clout to say that. Thanks, gov.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 08:19:40 PM »

This could just as easily be about Bredesen's run for re-election as governor. If the state GOP tries to paint him as a partisan democrat, akin to the national party, it hurts his reelection chances  (although no one seems to be lining up to run against him). If he positions himself as different from Hillary Clinton, it will pretty much help him here.

Plus, Bredesen gets my appreciation for his statement against political dynasties. I'd been waiting for someone with clout to say that. Thanks, gov.

I take it that you are equally opposed to the number of Kennedy's that have been elected to the Senate, House, and Lt Governor.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 08:43:59 PM »

I take it that you are equally opposed to the number of Kennedy's that have been elected to the Senate, House, and Lt Governor.

Well, I think Ted has had plenty of time to make his stamp on the government- I wish he'd retire. I like what I know of Patrick, but I do not think he should run for senate while his father is in the Senate. Lt. Gov? Whatever. But, no, I am generally against people rising to power because a family member came before. That said, I'm sure I'll support Ford for Senate in 2006, although I hope his uncle goes to jail.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 09:06:54 PM »

Well, I think Ted has had plenty of time to make his stamp on the government- I wish he'd retire. I like what I know of Patrick, but I do not think he should run for senate while his father is in the Senate. Lt. Gov? Whatever. But, no, I am generally against people rising to power because a family member came before. That said, I'm sure I'll support Ford for Senate in 2006, although I hope his uncle goes to jail.

One of the Kennedy's was Lt Gov of Maryland, though she lost to Ehrlich  when she ran for the top spot.

Let me get this straight.  It's okay for Kennedys, generally speaking.  It's okay for the Fords, excepting John--naturally.  It's not okay for Clintons, since Hillary would lose in the General Election.  And, lastly, it's not okay for the Bushes, since Jeb could  theoretically win.  Your view isn't politically motivated, is it?   
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 09:19:21 PM »

One of the Kennedy's was Lt Gov of Maryland, though she lost to Ehrlich  when she ran for the top spot.

Let me get this straight.  It's okay for Kennedys, generally speaking.  It's okay for the Fords, excepting John--naturally.  It's not okay for Clintons, since Hillary would lose in the General Election.  And, lastly, it's not okay for the Bushes, since Jeb could  theoretically win.  Your view isn't politically motivated, is it?   

No, I don't believe that's what I said, especially about Hillary Clinton. I do not want her to be the nominee or the President, because she will be such because her husband came before her. I will support Ford because I do not like Kurita- who else is running?- I'd love more options. Bill Purcell would get my vote, or St. Rep Rob Briley, US Reps Jim Cooper, John Tanner. I'll support Ford over the other announced Dem and any of the Repubs running.

Let me add this: the families you list me as saying it's okay about do not have members running for President. While there are 535 members of congress, and plenty of opportunity for different viewpoints, there is only ONE president at any given time, so for that position, I am more bothered by the notion of dynasty in Presidential politics. And I believe that, since I am referring to a Democratic family AND a Republican family, I am being quite fair-minded in my opinion.

Why do you seem to be arguing with me? Do you favor dynasties or are you just attempting to paint me as a partisan even though I've named a Dem dynasty and a Rep dynasty that I'd prefer NOT see get to the highest office in the land?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 09:28:51 PM »

I will add that I believe, much to my chagrin, that Hillary will be the nominee because most voters are too lazy to look at candidates carefully and they tend to vote for the names they know. Don't confuse this for me wanting her to be the next nominee or president.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 09:29:14 PM »

I'm just messing with you.  No harm meant.

As for Harold Ford Jr, I think that he is a really good guy.  However, coming from Memphis, the Ford family and their involvement in local politics can leave a very bad taste in your mouth.  It's very nepotistic.

While I don't think that Hillary can win the Presidency, I think she is well within her right to run, just as I felt it was fine for Dubya to run, and serve as President.  

Like it or not, political families have a decided edge in American politics.   Examples include Cuomo in NY, Kennedy in MA, Pryor in AR, Landrieu in LA, Ford in TN, Bush in TX/FL, and Casey in PA.   I'm sure there are many, many more from both parties.  

All that being said, I'm still a big supporter of Jeb.  '08 may not be his year, but I would definitely like to see him in the Whitie House at some point.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 09:29:52 PM »

I will add that I believe, much to my chagrin, that Hillary will be the nominee because most voters are too lazy to look at candidates carefully and they tend to vote for the names they know. Don't confuse this for me wanting her to be the next nominee or president.

I agree!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies