Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:36:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Author Topic: Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)  (Read 44589 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »

I think America's preferred future place in international relations should be as this almighty Sky God that rains fire on those who goes against its will but never directly imposes itself on the situation.

Is this what you had in mind?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »

I think America's preferred future place in international relations should be as this almighty Sky God that rains fire on those who goes against its will but never directly imposes itself on the situation.

There are already people in Nevada who come into work, fly a drone in Afghanistan, maybe kill a few Afghans, and then go home, detached from the war.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

There are already people in Nevada who come into work, fly a drone in Afghanistan, maybe kill a few Afghans, and then go home, detached from the war.
Sounds like a good gig for Joe Republic.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »

I was thinking more like Zeus and us developing drones like in the movie Oblivion.

U.S. drones can be the Deus Ex Machina of world conflict.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2014, 06:26:02 AM »

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it looks like the US is now directly arming the Kurds:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/us-sending-arms-to-kurds-in-iraq-109901.html?hp=l4

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »

Wonderful news! The Kurds are good, honest and forthright people. One of the few groups in that region who seem to have their sht together.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »

Wonderful news! The Kurds are good, honest and forthright people. One of the few groups in that region who seem to have their sht together.

I have never really heard anything to contradict this, but I am (perhaps as a result) skeptical of the "goodness" of the Kurds. Rarely have things ever turned out so clear-cut.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »

Some good news out of ISIS....link-google

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »

I have never really heard anything to contradict this, but I am (perhaps as a result) skeptical of the "goodness" of the Kurds. Rarely have things ever turned out so clear-cut.

Of course the Kurds are not as nice, in fact if they lived in the west we would all despice them for being a bunch of illiberal fundamentalist hill billies, but because they live in the Middle East they stand head and shoulder above their neighbours.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »

PKK are a downright awful bunch. Of course they arent part of the de facto Kurdish state in northern Iraq and are a minor factor all around. They're actually fighting ISIS too now, which is much better than what they normally do.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »

Well, at the very least the Kurds' habit of allowing women to carry and use AK-47's can be seen as a sign that they aren't relegating females to the sole role of faithful wives and childbearers.

Relative Freedom-fighters.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »

Well, at the very least the Kurds' habit of allowing women to carry and use AK-47's can be seen as a sign that they aren't relegating females to the sole role of faithful wives and childbearers.

I've met an Iraq veteran about eight years ago who told me that he was attacked by a female insurent who pulled an assault rifle out hidden under he burqa. It has been a long time (he was my fourth grade teachers son) since that conversation happened, so I can't remember the exact details of course.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2014, 03:09:51 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2014, 03:17:54 AM by I hereby declare martial law in this forum »

I've met an Iraq veteran about eight years ago who told me that he was attacked by a female insurent who pulled an assault rifle out hidden under he burqa. It has been a long time (he was my fourth grade teachers son) since that conversation happened, so I can't remember the exact details of course.

Female Peshmerga troops usually don't wear burqas though, but regular uniforms... which looks like this:

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »

Of course the Kurds are not as nice, in fact if they lived in the west we would all despice them for being a bunch of illiberal fundamentalist hill billies, but because they live in the Middle East they stand head and shoulder above their neighbours.

All the Kurds in Turkey voted for a presidential candidate who was pro-gay marriage.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »

Is everyone comfortable that Biden is doing about 90% of the phone diplomacy in Iraq?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »

Yes?

All the Kurds in Turkey voted for a presidential candidate who was pro-gay marriage.

Huh
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »

So then.... is there a plan to where this all leads to?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »

Yes?

Huh

This was probably reference to Selahattin Demirtaş who carried the Kurdish consituencies in the recent Turkish presidential election.

He was the presidential candidate of the pro-Kurdish HDP. The party statutes of the HDP include a quota system by which 50% of all candidates on electoral lists have to be women and 10% have to be gay.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »

Female Peshmerga troops usually don't wear burqas though, but regular uniforms... which looks like this:

IIRC (and I may indeed be wrong, keep in mind this was a long time ago), his unit was attacked by Islamists. The female fighter was burqa clad. I don't know if ISIS allows females to join their ranks, but some of the other Islamist groups might.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »

Maliki is pretty much done -and there likely will be no coup:

Maliki’s Bid to Keep Power in Iraq Seems to Collapse

By TIM ARANGO
AUG. 12, 2014

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:21 AM »

Everyone is bombing ISIS:

link
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2014, 05:06:39 AM »

Maliki is pretty much done -and there likely will be no coup:

Maliki’s Bid to Keep Power in Iraq Seems to Collapse

By TIM ARANGO
AUG. 12, 2014

Thank Allah.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »

Lolol dat coalition.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »

Brits and Americans planning mission to rescue Sinjar refugees
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »

Siege on Mt. Sinjar broken:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/world/middleeast/iraq-yazidi-refugees.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSumLargeMedia&module=a-lede-package-region&region=lede-package&WT.nav=lede-package&_r=0

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies