Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:10:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Author Topic: Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)  (Read 44474 times)
swl
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »
« edited: August 20, 2014, 08:48:45 AM by swl »

Yeah you have many people with chaotic lives hoping for redemption by fighting for God. Unfortunately, it's been a quite common thing through the history of religions. Needless to say, they are as deluded about the concept of God than the crusaders were a thousand years ago. There is not much to do about it. Well if you believe in God you can always try to pray for them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »

While it's always been a tactic of Islamist terror; relatively comfortable monied terror heads getting poor and stupid people to do their dirty work for them, we now have people from the west, from the UK flying over to basically get to 'play' at being terrorists. It does not help, and I will be attacked for this, that many come from relatively comfortable families where the domestic culture essentially treats them as entitled little princes by virtue of their sex. No one ever questions them, tell them know or calls them out on their self interested stupidity. When this whole sorry mess is over and any of them live to see it, they will be crying to their parents to get back home.

Actually, I've heard quite a few news stories (the latest one just today) about girls trying to go to Syria or Irak to fight. That's quite surprising indeed.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »

Viewing the video of the beheading may be considered an act of terrorism in the UK.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »

While it's always been a tactic of Islamist terror; relatively comfortable monied terror heads getting poor and stupid people to do their dirty work for them, we now have people from the west, from the UK flying over to basically get to 'play' at being terrorists. It does not help, and I will be attacked for this, that many come from relatively comfortable families where the domestic culture essentially treats them as entitled little princes by virtue of their sex. No one ever questions them, tell them know or calls them out on their self interested stupidity. When this whole sorry mess is over and any of them live to see it, they will be crying to their parents to get back home.

Actually, I've heard quite a few news stories (the latest one just today) about girls trying to go to Syria or Irak to fight. That's quite surprising indeed.

It's not too surprising when you remember the Spanish Civil War.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

Mosul dam recaptured

Another Iraqi offensive to retake Tikrit stalled

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »

I hope the CINC will take the air campaign into Syria. I'm not bloodthirsty but we really need to kill as many of these militants as we can while they are an organized force. There are way too many Westerners that I think this represents a clear and direct threat. Id say the US and allies also must cultivate local relationships so that we can properly close off escape routes.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »

I hope the CINC will take the air campaign into Syria. I'm not bloodthirsty but we really need to kill as many of these militants as we can while they are an organized force. There are way too many Westerners that I think this represents a clear and direct threat. Id say the US and allies also must cultivate local relationships so that we can properly close off escape routes.

I agree. I've been as anti-war as anyone and have always believed the Iraq War was wrong. However, I see no way around avoiding involvement. I do not support putting American boots back on the ground. We, along with our allies, should be using our air superiority to maximum advantage. At the same, I'm hesitant with who we supply arms to, but I do believe the Kurds are the most trustworthy in the region with advanced weaponry. It is people such as them that must fight the ground war. There is no other alternative than the complete extermination of ISIS off the face of the Earth.
swl
France

« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 09:25:17 AM by swl »

It's good to support the kurds, but they don't really care of what happens far from Kurdistan, so they will secure their area, help a bit further is there is something in return for them, and that's all. It's not like they're going run after ISIS all over Iraq and Syria.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »

I didn't say that alone would be a cure-all for the situation in the region, just as a Western air campaign isn't going to work alone. It is of vital importance to establish a strong Kurdish front in that area, and they are among a very limited few I'm willing to trust in the Middle East with our advanced weaponry. The remainder of the ground war will have to be fought by those we cannot fully trust, including the Iraqi government. It also means we will be faced with aligning ourselves with enemies so that we are inevitably on the same side as Assad's Syria and Iran. As I stated above, I believe it is paramount that ISIS be exterminated. They are enemies of humanity itself and cannot be allowed to remain.

I have to say I'm actually getting tired of the increasing isolationist attitude of the anti-war crowd that I was once in total agreement with. I do not equate the Bush policy of preemptive intervention with one of internationalist cooperation. There is a difference between a bombing campaign and putting boots on the ground.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »

I agree. I've been as anti-war as anyone and have always believed the Iraq War was wrong. However, I see no way around avoiding involvement. I do not support putting American boots back on the ground. We, along with our allies, should be using our air superiority to maximum advantage. At the same, I'm hesitant with who we supply arms to, but I do believe the Kurds are the most trustworthy in the region with advanced weaponry. It is people such as them that must fight the ground war. There is no other alternative than the complete extermination of ISIS off the face of the Earth.
If it were really as easy as just dropping bombs until the bad guys went away our problems in the Middle East would've disappeared a long time ago. There are sadly many people in the Middle East with a passionate, murderous hatred of the US and it doesn't come from nowhere. In fact, it just keeps getting worse and worse as we keep meddling (invading Iraq, training and supplying "freedom fighters" in Syria, etc) and now things are more dangerous than ever. Kicking the hornets' nest with more bombing in a vain attempt to "exterminate" a well-funded decentralized terrorist group full of zealous ideological extremists will only breed more hatred and blowback in the long term. We've done enough damage as it is and every time we try to "help" things only end up worse and more dangerous.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

If it were really as easy as just dropping bombs until the bad guys went away our problems in the Middle East would've disappeared a long time ago. There are sadly many people in the Middle East with a passionate, murderous hatred of the US and it doesn't come from nowhere. In fact, it just keeps getting worse and worse as we keep meddling (invading Iraq, training and supplying "freedom fighters" in Syria, etc) and now things are more dangerous than ever. Kicking the hornets' nest with more bombing in a vain attempt to "exterminate" a well-funded decentralized terrorist group full of zealous ideological extremists will only breed more hatred and blowback in the long term. We've done enough damage as it is and every time we try to "help" things only end up worse and more dangerous.

Once again, I will state that I do not believe a bombing campaign alone will solve this issue. I for one will not stand by as our civilians are murdered in cold blood and many others are killed solely for the crime of not belonging to the proper religious sect (or whatever other whim they decide to slaughter civilians). ISIS is a monstrous genocidal organization that would kill millions if given the chance. They have no allies, let alone ones in the region. On this, Western countries are in almost full agreement with Iran, Iraq, and Assad's Syria. This isn't just America deciding to unilaterally intervene in the Middle East. They are killing more Muslims than anyone else, not to mention the pure terror they are inflicting on the general population. If you think that sort of action should continue without response, we are in two completely different worlds.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »

Bill Kristol: What's the harm in bombing and seeing what happens?
swl
France

« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:02 AM »

"We have no clue about what to do, so let's drop a few bombs randomly and think after." I always wonder how a guy like that somehow manages to get responsibilities.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 11:51:57 AM by The Roose is Loose »

Don't the Syrians and Iraqis know that bombs don't kill people?  People kill people!
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »

Don't the Syrians and Iraqis know that bombs don't kill people?  People kill people!
What point are you trying to make?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »

What point are you trying to make?

Just that the "guns don't kill people, people kill people thing" is idiotic if you try to apply it in pretty much any context, yet for some reason many people act like it isn't a self-evidently absurd argument in the context of debates about gun control.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

Bill Kristol is an awful individual. I do not equate my proposition with whatever he is putting foward. He has no interest in the benefit of the general Middle East population. Kristol is an arch-neocon that has absolutely no regard for what happens in the Middle East outside of Israel. My proposal for an air campaign relies heavily upon the ground forces in the area. In other words, for example, we should not be bombing Syrian territory without their permission (although I'm certain it would be granted against an enemy such as ISIS). I'd strongly prefer that we are an invited force into the area, rather than one that moves in to impose its will at random.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/middle-east-in-turmoil/air-strikes-and-aid-provide-relief-for-the-iraqi-town-of-amirli/story-fn7ycml4-1227042833285?nk=c1d61c093b9c55a365ba90fda5af1f74

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2014, 01:39:36 AM »

Australia will also supply arms to the Kurds:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australian-troops-to-deliver-arms-in-person-in-iraq-20140831-10amxx.html

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »

How people in the Middle East are making fun of the IS
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/29/humor-isis_n_5737500.html
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »

God dammit:

Disgusting.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »

Obama invokes War Powers Resolution.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »

*cue the Internet outrage*
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »

RIP to Foley, Sotloff and all of the nameless victims of ISIS terror. There needs to be a coordinated strategy to relagate them to the dustbin of history.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »

How did the the Iraqi army just melt away in the face of ISIS attacks ? Their performance was frankly an embarrassment. The Iraqi army is armed to the teeth with US military toys like the M-1 Abrams, the Apache Helicopter etc.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies