Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:17:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Islamic State vs. The World (except Canada)  (Read 44792 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:01 PM »

In addition to airstrikes, we should also act to remove the Maliki regime and put in a moderate regime that won't allow in the Iranian influence that creates groups like ISIS.

Sorry, but, LOL.

Iran is Shia. ISIS is Sunni. Shia and Sunni hate each other. If Iran is favoring anyone, they'll prefer Maliki, a Shia.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »

I hope this backfires. I really do. We need to learn a lesson. I guarentee that when the bombs begin to fall we are going to nail a hospital or a school, and ISIS's ranks will only continue to swell.

So you'd want Islamists to continue their slaughter of Yezidis, Christians, and so forth just to spite the American foreign policy establishment?
The reason these people are being slaughtered in the first place is because we went into Iraq in the first place.

Small situation.

You break into a store and you break something valuable while being there. The owner asks you to fix what you broke. Following your logic, you should answer "I was not supposed to be in the store, so, I won't fix it".

Same logic here. America broke something. It's their job to clean the mess they did.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:05:35 AM »

To the "you broke it, you own it" folk, how long do we "own" it?  Is it just the US that "owns" it, or do all the nations that joined in on the ass kicking "own" some of it too?

I would say than the US "owns" it mainly. If the US had declined to invade Iraq, I doubt UK would have gone alone, or any other country.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:46:31 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2014, 01:48:07 AM by MaxQue »

I can understand the US "owing" most of it.....I don't agree with it, at all, but I understand the argument.  It seems are allies should share in that "ownage", but I understand why somebody from one of our allies preaching that the US "owns" it wouldn't want to involve themselves.

...and for how long?

Well, Canada refused to go in Iraq, so we aren't an involved ally. As for sharing, countries have to share, sure, but it can be more complicated (do we really need more countries bombing ISIS, especially if they are bad at aiming?). It's surgical strikes and like a true surgery, you don't want 20 surgeons in the patient at the same time.

How long? Excellent question, I have no idea on that one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »

The issue in Canada is than this won't go well with his huge program of cuts (Defence is cut, too).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »

Canada is very lucky to have such good neighbors.  You guys should really thank us more Wink

We both know than it's more complicated than that.
Also, current government is a bit annoyed at current government (since Harper is a puppet of oil industry, government isn't pleased at the indecision of your government about Keystone).

I even wonder if Harper did try to use Keystone as a bargaining chip against Iraq involvement.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2014, 01:50:07 AM by MaxQue »

Canada is very lucky to have such good neighbors.  You guys should really thank us more Wink

We both know than it's more complicated than that.
Sure, but it's still kind of sad that tiny Denmark (1/7th your population) and Australia (2/3rds) is helping so much more than you guys.

Things are worst than I thought. Obama called some leaders to have their help in Iraq, he sent a letter to Harper. At the security council meeting about IS, Obama was there from Cameron and Abbott and left seconds before Harper started talking. At the NATO meeting in Newport, Harper wasn't invited at the main reception table, unlike the traditionnal European allies.

Harper is putting intense pressure on Obama to accept Keystone and it's pretty much the only subject he talks with Obama. Every time the Canadian government talks about USA, they remember us than they didn't accepted yet Keystone. Even former Canadian Conservative leaders attacked him for damaging Canada-USA relationship over Keystone. He is obsessed by Keystone.

It's a shame, for Canada.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »

So is Canada officially not going to join the third Iraq War?

There should a decision taken next week, or perhaps the one after it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »

I suppose we can change the title. Canada will go (if all goes well).

Canada will send 600 soldiers and 6 planes. Sure, it still has to pass Parliament (debate and vote is scheduled for Monday) and they would be ready to act in Iraq in three weeks.

All opposition parties are against, but Conservatives have a majority.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:43 AM »

So why doesn't Turkey want to help this Kurd village?

They are afraid of their own Muslims (which are strong Erdogan voters, too).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:16 AM »

They are afraid of their own Muslims (which are strong Erdogan voters, too).

More likely because they dislike their own Kurds (who certainly don't vote for Erdogan).

I suspect than Erdogan prefer dealing with Kurds rather than with IS, through.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 01:37:19 AM »

You could equally ask why doesn't the US or the UK or France want to help this Kurd village?  If it's going to take ground forces to save it, then why is it Turkey's responsibility alone to take care of it?

People ask about Turkey because it's very near of their border.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 05:46:46 PM »

It does not seem like the guy was in any way related to ISIS. Apparently he never left Canada and was a drug addict living in a homeless shelter.
I heard he had tried to go to Syria.

No, RCMP said they were wrong and than he wanted to go to Saudi Arabia to study Quran.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies