Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:33:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race  (Read 3211 times)
GAworth
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 12:43:08 AM »

The Info thread says there is one seat for every district and 3 at large seats.
Ah, I must have mis-read that. I thought that 3 seats were split between districts.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:52 AM »

Ah, I must have mis-read that. I thought that 3 seats were split between districts.

Nope, so now there is confirmation of the three at large seats being up.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 12:48:52 AM »

I'm reserving this space for later, but I have a quick question: will we format this like the Americana timelines or will it just be letters to the editor?

I wanted to start off by doing the newspaper article, but most of my future posts will be written in the same way that I wrote my Americana character. I'll do my next post tomorrow.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »

Nope, so now there is confirmation of the three at large seats being up.

Thank you! Smiley Just trying to make sure.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »

Since Carl Jackson has called in some vacation days from Pinketon Elementary, he has plenty of free time for thinking. As he starts his Monday, he begins to ponder the idea of adding middle school grade levels to Pinkerton's school more and more. As a fanatic on all education issues, he finds himself constantly searching for information regarding this idea. He becomes confident that the idea will be to his and the town's benefit, but he's not sure how to propose it. He decides to take a break from his thinking, put on some dark slacks and a brown polo shirt, and eat lunch at Betty Jo's.

"Hey, Carl! What's up? You seem kind of glum," Betty said as she slumped over the cash register counting out how many bills she had left. "Darn, only one Hamilton! I hope you don't clean me out Carl. I wasn't looking forward to making a bank run today." "Oh, don't worry Betty Jo, I won't put you through the trouble, but only because you put that nifty credit card machine in. I'm definitely in the dumps. You know, one of the teachers thinks we should make Pinkerton a K-8 school to bring more bucks in. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how I can sell this to the other folks on the school board. I guess I'll have time to think about it while I'm down in Atlanta for the pastor's meeting for a few days." "Oh Carl, you've always taken yourself way too seriously, this isn't the end of the world because you are still plotting your next step. Say, I think I have a slice of cobbler left in the fridge from yesterday. Do you want it? It's free of charge for you, and some dessert might cheer you up." "Sure Betty, I'll take the slice," Carl said. "I meant to order one after church on Sunday, but I went for the cheesy goodness you were offering instead! Oh, and I'll take the special too. How are your little ones doing?" "They're fine," Betty Jo replied. "All three are enjoying their summer, though I've been up to my ears in work here at the kitchen, so it's hard to keep an eye on them. The youngest rascal keeps jumping on that new bouncer I put in the backyard. I tell ya, he puts Tigger to shame! He'd jump on that thing for hours if I let him. Anyway, I'm itching to hear about this newfangled middle school idea. I'd love to keep my kids away from those brats outside of Pinkerton as long as I can." "Oh, I thought you'd say that," Carl chuckled. "Well, I figure that we get more power for Pinkerton if the kids stay in school here longer, and then we'd never have to deal with Hensley schools directly, since our kids would go straight to the county high school." "Sounds like a plan, Carl," said Betty Jo, "but are you ready for the kind of fight that'll cause? Hensley already hates us to start with, this idea could end up being a powder keg." "I know, that's true, but think of how it will help our community stay closer together. I'm ready to fight for this, I just need to make sure that everyone is supporting me." "Well, count me in as a supporter, Carl. If you can get this through, that would be just grand. So, are ya gonna finally go to the CNN center while you're down where the peaches grow?" asked Betty Jo. "I think I might," said Carl, who had just finished his meal. "Did you want any souvenirs or anything while I'm down there in Atlanta?" "A magnet or two would be great, thanks," said Betty Jo as she swiped Carl's Discover card. "Well, I guess I'll see ya later this month Carl. Have a safe trip! I'll try to rally some support for your cause while your gone if that's okay." "That would be great Betty Jo, thank you kindly. God Bless you!"
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

"It's nice to see you all here! Such a nice Sunday, and being surrounded be nice people just makes it even better! But anyway, let me come to my point. You all know, School Board Elections are coming in, and if there is one thing we don't need, then this is even more Democrats in public offices!"
Mel Darren looked around, and saw the people around him nodding with approval. The Sunday brunch in his backyard had turned into a great success. Nearly every known registered Republican had come, most of who were businessmen that at least once had dealt with one another, thus creating a friendly, homely atmosphere. From the owner of the local General Store, successfully competing against the Wal-Mart just outside the county border for more than twenty years now, to the director of the Chemical Plant, everyone notable in and around Norma had decided to see by at Mel Darren's Sunday Brunch. Initiating with plain and simple small-talk and colloquial chatting, the brunch had turned into a meeting of the local Republican Party, when Mel had asked for a small speech.

"The only way to stop is, I can tell you, because the 'Crats won't sleep, the only way is to get a strong Republican Party, addressing the issues that Normans and other residents of Jameson County care for, and being there for them. We need to start this at the local level, we need to build up a strong Norma Republican Party that will in turn strengthen the Republican Party in the county. Therefore, I ask you to start with regular meeting, let's say on weekly basis, to which every Norma Republican is invited, to tackle our issues, and put our candidates for whatever office in a strong position! I invite all of you for Monday to the meeting room of the Caller, for the first of this meetings!
 I think I speak for many of you, if I see how many of you have signed this petition," - Mel held up a piece of paper, signed by many of the audience - ", that one of our issues is finally the incorporation of Norma as a town. But not just that, we also need to get one of our own to the Board of Education, so we can ensure that our children will just get the finest education possible! Thank you all for your patience, I have finally come to an end!"
Mel smiled, content with the faces nodding in approval he could see. He turned to Gary Carter, the director of the Chemical Plant, just serving himself from the buffet, but soon noticing Mel approaching him. "Mel, that was a great speech, as usual." "Thank you Gary, one can only try and hope." "I agree with what you said. We need a strong Republican Party, and that needs to start at the lowest level. Be sure to see me at your meetings." "I'll be gladly seeing you there. Enjoy your meal!", he said to the man just filling his plate with the appetizers being served. As Mel went through the crowd, he heard just same words of approval. Mel was content with him, with his speech, with his brunch, with everything.

When he saw his wife hurrying towards him, her face an expression of concern, of worry, he immediately knew something was up. "Mel, honey, come to the front door! Through the house!", she said when he turned towards the garden path circumventing the house and leading to the front side. Mel entered his house through the back door in the living room, and hurried towards the front hall. He was surprised meeting his son Andy, on his side his girlfriend of two years, Mariah. "Hey Dad. We just thought to check in this Sunday, when we saw this. What is going on here?" Mel proceeded to answer, when he saw, behind, his other son, Tom, standing there. Yet he was too not alone, and Mel froze when he saw the young man beside him...
GAworth
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »

Betty Jo woke up at 5am as she does every morning. Mitchell was already up, which was unusual. "Why are you up so early hun," Betty Jo asked. "Couldn't sleep," he said. She started to make some coffee, "can you take care of the little ones today? I have to be at the Diner and then run some errands." He nodded. She went out to the chicken coup, "move you infernal fowl, before I deep fry you." She was not the best morning person, and after pecked by chickens all her life she preferred them on her plate rather than in a coup. "Well 8 eggs, not too bad, enough for breakfast," she said. She walked back into the house. Turned on the stove burner, "you want some eggs now or wait till the kids get up?" "I'll wait," Mitchell said. "Carl came by the Kitchen yesterday," she said cracking an egg. "Oh what did he  want," Mitchell said. She started scrambling the egg, "Well he is considering bringing up the issue of making Pinkerton a K-8 school. Which is fantastic in opinion, lord know Alexandria, Joseph, and Johnny don't need to Hensley Middle." Those were there three kids. "We don't have to worry about that for a while," Mitchell said grabbing the coffee. She added some salt and pepper to her eggs, "Alexandria is 10! Joseph is 8 and Johnny is 5, in no time they will be going to Hensley Middle." He took a sip, avoiding burning himself, "I am sure y'all are gonna talk about that tonight at your little group." She smiled, "No Mitchell that is tomorrow night. But yes I will bring it up at the Action Committee meeting." She finished her breakfast, kissed her husband, and left to go to the Kitchen.

(I will release the full menu later this week)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »

A Boring Day in the Boring Life of Gatewood Baxter.
Gatewood stared solemnly at his eggs and the small bit of still smoldering ash that sat between the baked apples from last night’s dinner and the biscuit smeared in honey and butter. For a man who was as skinny as he was tall, he didn’t live well. And he certainly never smoked at the breakfast, nor did he eat it at the table in the backyard. A gentle breeze made the morning edition of the Hensley Record flutter. It was fortunately weighed down by a coffee mug. There was only one obituary (written by him of course, in his capacity as director of the town’s only funeral home) in the paper that morning for a Mrs. Harriet Baxter, of whom he was sure he was a distant relative of in some capacity. It was not shaping up to be a busy day. He was beginning to regret buying out the funeral home, a rarely rash decision on his part.

Caroline and Julia had just left on the bus for another day at Hensley Elementary, a school that was not servicing them as it once had serviced him. While his two little girls performed admirably, he knew there instructors could certainly perform better.

The sliding door behind opened behind him, and Hannah walked out on the porch. It was a lazy morning for the family-little Olivia sat in front of the television, barely awake as a cheap, animated rip-off of Gatewood’s beloved Mr. Rodgers played on the screen. Hannah too was enjoying the easy morning, clad in a pair of gym shorts at a loose fitting t-shirt as she sat down silently next to Gatewood. Her long black hair hung in a ponytail over her left shoulder. For Gatewood, this type of casual dress was impossible. He was dressed in his usual black suit, even though he would not have to be at the funeral home for hours to conduct Mrs. Baxter’s wake.

With a slight smile, Gatewood inquired “too lazy to even put it into a hair clip?”
“You know it” Hannah said with a smile. Her smile was as radiant as it was when he first met her in Washington DC, following his divorce. He was at the time working for the Department of Agriculture for the Commodity Credit Corporation, a job he quickly grew to despise. Yet, his desire for a simple life has now only lead to a too simple life, one quickly growing boring even by his own standards. Yes, he enjoyed his work at the funeral home. There was a dark luster to it, yet in Jameson County, those not being busy born are certainly not busy dying.

“Do you ever think of returning to DC, Hannah?”
“I like it here. It is far more peaceful than DC, and the tensions and the lingering resentment that I experienced back home are just…just gone.”
“But it certainly seems….so boring. Nothing is getting done. Everything has stagnated. I don’t ask for much. We never go out. We never wanted too. But I want to work. And I want the girls to go to a good school.”
“I can call daddy-”
“We don’t need money, we are doing better than we could have dreamed in that arena, Hannah.”

Hannah’s father was one of the few men who shook Gatewood to the core. A former South Vietnamese colonel, he fled when Saigon fell, and ultimately became a naturalized citizen of the United States. In DC, he raised his younger daughter Hannah, who spoke English flawlessly, and without any trace of an accent (she was born five years after Saigon fell), and it was in DC where he first met Hannah when she was interning in the Department of Agriculture and he was her supervisor. The Colonel did not disapprove; on the contrary, he looked upon Gatewood as a promising young man with an upright background. Yet times change. Gatewood and Hannah returned to Jameson, and their fortune seemed to stagnate. Yet the Colonel never expressed an opinion. Never, even when he was pressed. Gatewood did not fear his approval or disapproval. But coming from a county where just about everyone and their brother had an opinion, it was greatly unnerving not knowing exactly what the Colonel thought about him.

Want to go get lunch or should I cook something” asked Hannah? “I’m in the mood to make something nice.”
“I’d love to, but I need to be out of here by noon. Want to go to Mary Jo’s?”
“Do you ever tire of that place honey?”
“I haven’t yet, that’s for sure. She knows what’s going on in these parts.”
“What is going on?”
“Hannah, why is Hensley Elementary being celebrated for being a C school? You went to good schools in Washington-”
“But they had a much bigger budget-”
“Of course! But we can do better with the funds we have. We need to fire some people. They got rid of a math teacher at the high school and everyone’s crying henny-penny about it!”
“Gatewood, before you continue, I forgot to tell you. Your mom called this morning and told me to tell you that the woman you’re burying-
“Harriet Baxter?”
“Yes, she is not related to you directly. She said that she was married to her Uncle Ulysses-”
“Ohhh, so she was his crazy first wife! Dad had a lot of stories about her. She was off the reservation!”
“Did she remarry?”
“No, I guess she just kept the name. She has some cousins two counties over who are her only surviving relatives and a few close friends in Pinkerton.”

"Did they not give you this information for the obituary?"
"No, not at all. One of the least informative obituarys I've ever written."

A thought came over Gatewood at that moment, a thought that would preoccupy him for the duration of Mrs. Baxter’s wake later in the afternoon……
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »

Bob Eckhardt sat at his office desk in complete silence. Ordinarily not something usual for him, but today was different. He had a deadline to meet and he plainly knew that newspapers were a dying media.

Frank doesn't get it, he thought to himself. I like lost causes.

Most of what Bob wrote about was political in nature. He deeply hated the power brokers of Jameson County. The Republicans were the worst. The Democrats not really much better.

"No one understands that the world has passed this place by," he said to himself. "Why'd I come back here? I had a job in New York and lots to do. Good booze to drink and cigars to smoke... And the women..."

The girls were always very friendly to him when they were liquored up. They never seemed to mind if he was a slob. His cell phone buzzed, breaking him out of his hazy memories of beautiful drunk blondes who never minded showing him their breasts in New York. Hensley had no such nubile, young girls.

"Bob, you need to get on this," David Price told him. David was the guy who got the dirt where he couldn't. David dressed nice, blended in with a crowd and could keep his mouth shut. He made a great informant.

"What the hell is it now? It better be good."

"Mel Darren and Gary Carter are making goo-goo eyes at each other at this brunch. They're plotting and backslapping. Going after seats on the school board..."

"Figures. Get the young'uns early before they can think for themselves. Thanks Dave."
GAworth
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »

Betty Jo cleared a table at the corner of the Restaurant. Wednesdays weren't the busiest since many people where at Church so early so there was no outcry. She placed a hand drawn sign reserved for PFAC. She walked back in the kitchen and fixed herself a bowl of the "Pink"erton Surprise. "Lord I hope people show," she said out loud. "Don't worry BJ," Clementine said, Clementine Arnold was one of Betty Jo's cooks and close friends, "I am sure people will show up, wit'll the trouble we have had in recent times." Betty Jo sighed and ate her dessert on her handy stool overlooking the entry to the kitchen and door to the restaurant. The door opened, Bud McAllister, a farmer that lived next to the Sanders walked in, "Hey BJ! You still holding that meetin'?" She perked up, "I sure am, want somthin' to chew on?" He sat at the table, "Yess'um I do, I'll have that Steak with your famous greens and cornbread." She smiled, "sure thing." She walked back behind the counter but before she could say anything Clementine responded, "I heard the order, CF Steak wit Greens n Conebread." Betty Jo nodded. She picked up her booklet and brought it to the table. As she did, Sue Docherty walked in, a farmer from the East side of town, and a true Democrat, "this where we talk 'bout throwin' those darn elephants out?" "Sure is Sue, come sit a spell," Bud said. "Want somethin' Misses Docherty," Clementine asked. Sue responded, "a Democratic Mayor and a sweet tea please." The whole group chuckled.
"Alright," Betty Jo said, "Let's get started then we will see if anyone else comes." Clementine brought out the tea and drinks for the table, "is sweet tea fine Bud." He smiled, "Always darlin'." Betty Jo Continued, "we all want Pinkerton back under Democratic control, but we don't just want any ol' Democrat, we want someone who has the right stuff. Here is a list of names I thought would be good to get to run." She hands out the list. "Nope," Bud said. "No," exclaimed Betty Jo. "Well, Councilor Adam Evans is a drunk and a fool. Michael Foxx is a DINO, heck I heard he gets kick backs from the GOP. And the rest don't have the name recognition." Sue chimed in, "there is one name missing from the list." "I was just thinking that," Bud said. Betty Jo was stumped, "who?" Sue took a swig of tea, "you girl. You give the Mayor heck in those editorials, everyone in town knows you, and you have the smarts for the job." Bud chuckled, "heck, you can't be any worse than what we got now." Betty Jo was touched, the meeting continued and the thought started to run in her head.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »

Due to being on holiday, I won't be able to play this game from tomorrow, August 15 on to August 27... Hope you all have a great time, and I'd be happy to resume playing then Wink
GAworth
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »

Betty Jo's Country Kitchen
New Menu
Lunch and Dinner
Entree
All Entrees are served with two sides besides the side mentioned
Country Fried Chicken w/ Saw Mill Gravy - Chicken breast hammered out, dredged and fried to perfection. Served with homemade Saw Mill (White) Gravy. Served with Greens.
Fresh Steamed Trout - Lightly seasoned with lemon and fresh herbs. Served with Corn on the Cob. One of the lighter selections on the menu.
BJ's Fried Chicken - Breast, leg, thigh, or wing. Mix or match 3 pieces for a out of this world meal. You know at Betty Jo's, there is never a bad piece of chicken. Served with Greens.
Grilled Steak - 8 oz. of prime sirloin. Cooked to order and served with a peppercorn sauce and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Cheeseburger - A simple 6 oz patty cooked to order, with either Swiss or American. Served with French Fries.
Grilled Pork Chops - Seasoned and cook perfectly, a bone in chop that is a can't miss, especially with Betty Jo's Pork Sauce. Served with Greens.
Fried Catfish  - Filets deep fried and golden brown. Served with Cornbread.
Ham Steak - Sugar Cured ham, seared. Delicious. Served with a Biscuit.
Fried Chicken Tenders - Great for the children. 4 pieces of golden fried, perfectly seasoned chicken filets. Served with a biscuit.
Country Veggie Plate - Choice of four sides
Pulled Pork Sandwich - Rubbed in a house blend of spices, slow cooked for up to 8 hours, shredded and placed on your choice of white or wheat toast. Served with Cole Slaw.
Fried Chicken Sandwich - Perfectly fried chicken breast, served with Swiss cheese, red onion, lettuce, and tomato on white or wheat bread. Served with French fries
Ham Sandwich - Country Ham, Swiss Cheese, red onion, tomato and lettuce on your choice of white or wheat bread. Served with Fried Apples.
Chicken Wings - Fried golden brown. Served plain, barbequed, lemon pepper, mild or spicy. Served  with Celery and Carrots.
Soup or Salad
Served with a Biscuit or Cornbread
Loaded Potato Soup - Creamy and full of chunks of potato. Topped with more cheese and bacon. Need I say more.
Chicken n Rice Soup - Betty Jo's cure-all. A seasoned stock full of white meat chicken, rice, carrots, celery, and  onion.
Tomato Soup - A creamy mix of seasoned tomatoes and heavy cream. Just like Momma made.
Fried Chicken Salad - Fried tenders cut up into small pieces, served on a bed of lettuce, carrots, onions, cucumbers, celery, and cheese. Served with your choice of dressing.
Baked Chicken Salad - Baked chicken breast cut up into small pieces. Served on a bed of lettuce, carrots, onions, cucumbers, celery, dried fruit, nuts, and cheese. Served with your choice of dressing.
Pinkerton Market Salad - (Toppings change) a fresh salad straight from the farmer's market. A bed of Lettuce and Spinach served a variety of what is fresh from the market. Ask your waiter/waitress! Served with your choice of dressing.
Salad Dressing: Homemade Peppercorn Ranch - Blue Cheese - Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil - Thousand Island - Red Wine Vinaigrette - Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette - Italian
Sides
Betty Jo's Greens - Pinto Beans - Cornbread - Sweet Carrots - Fried Apples - Corn on the Cob
Creamed Corn - Cheese Grits - Cucumber Salad - Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Baked Potato
Baked Sweet Potato - Rice n Gravy - Mix Veggies -  Stewed Green Beans - Fresh Fruit Salad
BJ's Buttermilk Biscuits - Pan Fried Potatoes - Cole Slaw

Dessert
Cobbler - Choice of Cherry, Apple, or Blueberry.
"Pink"erton Surprise - Strawberry Ice Cream Served with Fresh Fruit, dried coconut, Granola, and drizzled with honey. One of BJ's favorites.
Red Velvet Cake - Decadent Red Velvet with a creamy vanilla cream cheese frosting.
Brownie and Ice Cream - Gooey Brownie  and Vanilla Ice Cream.
Bowl of Ice Cream - 3 Scoops of either Vanilla, Chocolate, or Strawberry

We will be announcing a new Breakfast menu soon
GAworth
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

News from the Kitchen
Weekly Specials for the week ahead
Monday
Entree: Porkchops with Stewed Tomatoes n Rice - Bone-in Chops lightly breaded and fried, cooked with Rice and Stewed Tomatoes, a Sanders family Favorite!
Side/Dessert: Cherry Tartlets - A small tart filled with sweet cherries.
Tuesday
Entree: Shrimp Scampi - Shrimp Cooked in a butter and white wine sauce full of herbs and garlic. Decadent!
Side/Dessert: BJ's Brussels Sprouts - Brussels Sprouts cooked in a spicy vinegar bacon mixture. A must try.
Wednesday
Entree: Country Fried Steak w/ Sawmill Gravy - Thin cut steak pounded and tendorized, breaded and pan fried, served with our Homemade Sander's White Gravy.
Side/Dessert: Zucchini Bread - A surprisingly sweet bread made with Grated Zucchini. A Mama Lewis recipe.
Thursday
Entree: Stuffed Tomatoes - Roasted Tomatoes stuffed rice, beans, and a flavorful mix of vegetables and spices.
Side/Dessert: Corn Fritters - Great for all ages! Creamy sweet corn niblets battered and deep fried. One of Betty Jo's favorite indulgences.
Friday
Entree: Lemon Baked Salmon - A 8 oz piece of Salmon crusted with Sea Salt, Pepper and Lemon Baked in the oven. A healthy a delicious Friday meal.
Side: Steamed Green Beans - Fresh Green Beans cooked in a spicy mix of Red Pepper, Lemon Pepper, and Garlic
Saturday
Entree: Chicken n Dumplings - Combines two of the best things in the world, Chicken and dumplings! Chicken cooked in a rich broth made thick by the delicious dumplings.
Side/Dessert: BJ's Asparagus n Onions - Asparagus cooked on a skillet w/ Sweet Onion and spices. A must try.
Sunday
Entree:  Fried Shrimp or Roast Turkey - Delicious gulf shrimp, peeled, de-veined and deep fried in our seasoned dredge. A whole turkey brined and slathered in butter and spices. Cut to order and served with brown gravy.
Side/Dessert: Loaded Mac n Cheese or Peach Cobbler  - 5 Cheese Mac n Cheese with Bacon, no further description necessary . Homemade flakey crust filled with farm fresh peaches cooked in a sweet syrup, and irresistible treat.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 12:52:20 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2014, 10:00:59 PM by Potus2036 »

County Elections: At Large

County Commission

One of the two Democratic County Commissioners, Ike Bolby, is up for re-election. Bolby has served on the County Commission for 16 years and is commonly viewed as a relic of the "Machine era' of politics. He is supported by the traditional Pinkerton and Georgeville bases of the Jameson Democratic Party. Bolby also wins landslide support from the African American community in Hensley. His political strength is the fragile balance he holds between the African Americans and working class whites in the rest of the county.

Bolby has a well-earned reputation for being a political scrapper. Public opinion of him is mediocre at best, but his position as Commission President lends him a certain level of clout he uses to keep his machine together.

The County Commission received a proposal from the Department of Housing and Urban Development in partnership with Friedman Industries, a housing developer, to construct and manage a low-income housing development near the county line in Georgeville. The development would be connected by public transit to a medium-sized city, Trentonberg, that is 45 minutes away. Recently, Trentonberg have been undergoing a homelessness issue that disproportionately effected its African American population. The housing development is one step they're taking to attempt to reduce the situation. County Republicans are supportive of selling the government land. The Jameson County Business Association has endorsed the project. County Democrats have not commented officially, though some officials have voiced concerns for a possible decline in property values in already impoverished Georgeville.

Additionally, the roads question has not been answered. Republicans and Democrats are deadlocked on the gas tax versus business tax when it comes to funding road construction. The case is still being made across the county with Georgeville and Pinkerton solidly in favor of a business tax while Hensley, typically a swing area, supports the gas tax by large margins. Norma is the potential swing region when it comes to the road question, with support split evenly on each side.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »

The Candidates

Commissioner Ike Bolby (D-Pink): 16 year incumbent, political scrapper, Commission President. Bolby depends on an uneasy coalition of African Americans and the populist Democrats of Pinkerton and Georgeville. He is famous for his powerfully negative campaigns to preserve his job. His opponents are very outspoken and his supporters tend to be a silent majority. (Think Harry Reid)

Frank McKinley (R-Hen): Jameson GOP Chair, President of Jameson Neighborhood Bank. McKinley is not a lightning rod figure. He has run the Jameson GOP for 5 years and the Bank for 12. He has funded Jameson Republican candidates for years. He is a consensus builder by nature and always considered a run for office. (Think GHW Bush)

James McCrimmon(R-Hen): Owner of Hensley Hardware and Mayor of Hensley. He attends St. Peter's Catholic Church every Sunday. His children attend St. Peter Elementary.  He takes a middle of the road stance when it comes to theological issues in the church. As a Republican, Mayor McCrimmon is a stalwart ally of small businesses. He is currently serving in his first term as mayor. He was elected on his record of service as a three-term city council member.

Melinda Gearheart(R-Pink): Pinkerton Councilwoman and Chair of Jameson Farm Bureau. Melinda was elected on the same ballot as the current mayor of Pinkerton. Due to the slant of the area, Melinda is viewed as a strong candidate for future office within the county. She is a very divisive figure in Pinkerton politics, with 50% support and 50% opposition. Republicans believe if her half of the Pinkerton electorate shows up, Bolby is done. (Think Scott Walker)

Bob Staats(R-Norm): Owner of Dexhart Pharmacy and Manager of "NO ON QUESTION 1". Staats got his start as an anti-tax crusader against the school levy last cycle. While everyone assumed the levy would pass, Staats took up the cause to defeat the tax increase. The entire Jameson School board and the teachers campaigned for the levy, but didn't run a comprehensive Yes campaign. On Election Day, the levy failed 65-35 and Staats now had a claim to fame. His followers want him to seek higher office. (Think a TEA Partier on tax issues only)

The Election

The campaign will began on January 1st and end November 4. The filing deadline for county commission is January 22nd. This will give people three full turns to jump into the game.

The Herald will conduct every other week polling and their will be either a newspaper or radio interview every turn. You will also compete at round tables with local interest groups.

Turns will be 7 days in game time, they'll last approximately 2 days in the real world subject to the needs of the players.

Sign up now for your candidates. If you feel the need for another type of candidate PM me. We don't need to fill all of these candidates, they could run for other offices elsewhere in the county.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »

Excited to see this up and running again.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »

Excited to see this up and running again.

Would you like to play?
GAworth
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »

Sure, Betty Jo is happy to return to the kitchen.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »

I am down to play a candidate, or BJ, if needed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies