Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:39:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race  (Read 3225 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
« edited: November 23, 2014, 10:40:33 PM by Potus2036 »

The Jameson Herald

Board of Education Faces Growing Shortfall
The Jameson County Board of Education met last night at Pinkerton Elementary. Members received a presentation by the board office's Treasurer, Liz Downton. Ms. Downton reported that the shortfall grew due to a slight drop in enrollment and an increase in administrative spending. State aid for compensating teachers has also declined. This led to a many pay increases across the county to go unfunded.

Dr. Wilcox, member from Hensley, advocated for fellow board members to spend some time with budget and come up with a solution that doesn't affect the students. He agains raised concerns that Hensley Elementary and Hensley Middle are underfunded when compared to other schools.

Board members made a modest attempt to begin dealing with the shortfall. Members voted 5-2 in favor of laying off Jameson High math teacher, Mr. Wolfgang Heinzel. Mr. Heinzel is a German immigrant in this country on a worker's visa. He was educated in engineering in the United States and supports his family by teaching at Jameson High.

If financial trouble continues, the Board may be forced to raise property taxes, the only form of taxation the board has authority over. The increase would be quite dramatic, nearly $120,000 a year. Failure to address the shortfall could lead the state department of education to intervene and take over Jameson County Schools.

Residents of Norma Deliver Transportation Petition to County
Road conditions have been a major source of conversation in Norma. Citizens delivered a petition with 600 signatures to the County Commission calling for action to be taken on deteriorating road conditions.

The Norma Chemical Plant is a powerful economic base. It pays it's annual Business Operation Taxes and accompanies their tax bill with a $10,000 donation to Norma Elementary-Middle. However, the plant requires heavy machinery and trucks to be transported on Norma roads. This is the primary cause of road deterioration in the area.

Citizens in Hensley are mostly isolated from the road situation given the financial health of their city government. Georgeville residents have long complained about the lack of effective infrastructure in their area. A rock slide damaged a road in Georgeville a year and a half ago and it remains unfixed. Pinkerton residents are generally supportive of improving infrastructure.

Editorial

Frank McKinley, Jameson County Republican Chair

Jameson County Republicans have proposed a solution to our crumbling roads. And we do it without doing damage to our local businesses while protecting the jobs created by the Norma Chemical Plant.

First off, let's go ahead and say what we can't do. County Democrats want to create a new tax on large trucks and machinery. Basically, the truck tax is going to raise taxes on the chemical plant and make it harder for it to do business. That's not going to be good for anyone. If we lose the chemical plant, all kinds of families in Norma will lose their livelihood. We can't let that happen.

The Republican Party is proposing a reasonable solution to the problem. We are proposing a 1 cent tax on every gallon of gasoline and a 3 cent tax on every gallon of diesel. This gas tax is small and doesn't affect household budgets like a plant closure would. This plan will raise money to finance hundreds of thousands of dollars in transportation bonds.

Republicans are proposing a reasonable solution to building our roads. We oppose any Democratic attempt to bankrupt the Norma Chemical Plant and send their jobs out of county.

Ike James, Chair of the Jameson Democratic Party
People need good roads to get to work, buy groceries, and support their families. Infrastructure is vital to keeping our economy healthy and alive. The Jameson Democrats are dedicated to rebuilding our roads and bridges.

Republicans are once again trying to let corporations get away. Big Businesses like the Norma Chemical Plant drive massive trucks on our roads and cause them to break down. The chemical plant is the root of our current infrastructure problem. That doesn't mean we should shut it down, but they should cover the cost of repairs.

Democrats are proposing something very simple and straightforward. The county will levy a new tax on the heavy trucks and machines the plant moves on our roads. The new money will be used to hire workers and buy supplies to rebuild our roads. The plan is simple and pays for itself. The person causing the damage pays for fixing it.

Republicans are trying to fleece our community with a tax on gasoline. They oppose our efforts to make Big Business pay for the problems they cause. The gas tax will drive up the cost of living for people in Norma, Pinkerton, and Georgeville. Rural communities run on gasoline. Don't let Republicans let Big Business get away.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:47:22 AM »

Farmer's Gazette

Pinkerton Elementary Gets A on School Report Card

Pinkerton Elementary once again turned in an 'A' grade on the annual school report card. The school received a 90%, the minimum grade required to achieve the grade

Pinkerton Elementary have once again demonstrated their skill at teaching students. Teachers at Pinkerton have received a pay increase despite the decline in state aid for hiring and employing teachers.

Pinkerton performed 9 points better than Hensley Elementary. This marks the 13th year in a row that Pinkerton performed better than Hensley Elementary. The school also performed 10 points better than Hensley Middle. This marks 16 years of Pinkerton being better on the report card than Hensley Middle.

Norma Elementary-Middle School received an 87 on the report card.

Gas Tax Proposed, Hurts Farmers 
The gas tax proposed by the Republicans hurts farmers. The tax is supposed to finance a new plan of transportation bonds to build roads across the county. It raises enough revenue to finance the bonds and construct the roads.

Democratic Chair Ike James issued the Democrat alternative to the plan. In it, large trucks, which are the root cause of the road problems, will be taxed to fund improvements. The money will hire unemployed people to work on road construction and stimulate the economy.

The Republican plan favors Big Business and taxes farmers, who use gasoline to run their farms. In this paper's opinion, the Republican plan places unfair burden on rural communities in favor of Big Business.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:58:40 AM »

The Hensley Record

Hensley Schools Show Significant Improvement
For years, people have claimed that Hensley schools are failing. For the first time in years, those people are wrong. The annual school report card shows Hensley Elementary reaching 81% and Hensley Middle reaching 80%.

The two 'C' grades are both dramatic improvements from last year. Hensley Elementary picked up 10% in the previous school year while Hensley Middle picked up 11%. School officials at both schools are celebrating their success and have been awarded with recognition from the county school board.

Catholic school St. Peter Elementary once again earned its reputation as the best performing school in the county with an 'A' grade of 95%. School supporters recognized the elementary school students with a school carnival. "We just really believe these kids should be rewarded for their success," one parent said.

Jameson High School continues to lag far behind state averages. Attendance declined last year and the discipline situation worsened at Jameson High. The deterioration was followed by a 73% 'D' on the school performance report card.

City Launches Business Development Fund
The Hensley City Council approved a $100,000 Business Development Fund at their last meeting. Citing the extraordinary financial health of the city, the council voted unanimously to approve the loan-guarantee fund.

"I'm very pleased with the fund's creation. It is really going to bring in some business and create more economic activity in the area. And the way they're doing it, through loan guarantees, really saves the city money," said one area business owner.

City Republicans are supporting a plan that would use the new tax revenues from the businesses to reduce business taxes on everyone. "In our plan, everyone wins. The new businesses pay a lower rate, but so does everybody else," said Mayor McCrimmon.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:00:33 AM »

OOC: If Mel Darren wanted to write the Norma Caller and anyone wanted to write a letter to the editor, add to the top of your post which paper it's going to.

Basically, we're going to spend a little bit fleshing out Jameson County by debating proposals and getting into it. A few days into this, I'll announce what elections are going on and we'll go from there.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:56:06 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2014, 05:20:44 AM by Governor Cranberry »

OOC: I guess I'll be writing the Norma Caller then

The Norma Caller

Transportation Petition to Improve Road Conditions in Norma
A petition with 600 signatures, mostly from citizens residing in Norma, has been delivered to the County Commission. The infrastructure and road situation has long been a pressing issue in Norma. Especially the Highways on the west side of Norma, from and to the state capital, and into neighbouring Washington County, have long been neglected by the County, but also the country roads to Georgeville show potential for improvement and repair.

The Editor's Comment:
County Republican officials have proposed a small, sensible gasoline tax to pay for the road improvement. A tax of no more than 1c per gallon of gasoline, and 3c per gallon of diesel is a prudent solution, not affecting anyone unbearably, and distributing the payment for the roads on everyone equally, and solidarity.

The Democrats' proposal however is fundamentally different: County Democrats demanded the Chemical Plant here in Norma, and any business involved in trucking or industry, to pay for the road enhancement. According to numerous Democratic officials, the traffic of heavy trucks is damaging the roads in and around Norma. They can not deliver such an easy reason for the state of roads all over the country - that roads are getting in a used and bad state with time seems not to come to Democratic officials minds - but they are as always eager to blame "big business". Not to mention that an even more heavier tax burden on the Norma Chemical Plant is hurting this very "big business", and in turn the livelihood of a great part of Norma citizens. But of course, the Democrats are as always protecting the "common man" before "big business interests". Err, yeah.

Norma Elementary-Middle School Second Best Public School in the County
Again, the Norma Elementary-Middle School receives the second-best rating of public schools in Jameson County. Just below Pinkerton Elementary's score, Norma Elementary-Middle School received a score of 87, in rating a "B+", and a rise of 3 from last year. Supported by generous donations of the Norma Chemical Plant, the school receives better ratings and scores every year, and has left the Hensley public schools far behind. Especially the Jameson High has a bad rating, leading to calls from many citizens to finally improve education also for our teens.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »

Farmer's Gazette
Editorial: Wrong policies all around
Written by Betty Jo Sanders, Guest Editor
As everyone knows by now, the school board met last night here in Pinkerton at the Elementary School. They were told the debt was rising and they fired a math teacher to help solve it. Well forgive me, but I feel that cutting the frontline will only make the problem worse, just wait till the wonderful teachers at Pinkerton Elementary are on the chopping block. What about administrative costs? Shouldn't we trim some salaries off of the Board and back room staffers before firing our teachers? We may even want to see about getting that money the Chemical Plant donates and spreading that around, or cutting the funds to the Norma school to help reduce the debt. Heck, the Republicans love business so much, why don't they ask their friends to write off the debt?

Now on to this roads business, the gas tax hurts us. Since when, may I add, did the Republicans become the party of tax? The gas tax hurts farmers in particular, the 3% rise in the gas tax on diesel not only impacts the big trucks but our farmers. On our family farm, our tractor runs on diesel. Those trucks that deliver goods to and from my restaurant, run on diesel. My car, runs on gas, and so does yours. They want all of us to pay more so the Plant doesn't have to. Well excuse me, the plant gives generously now, why don't they decide to give some money to fix the roads, they make enough money off of us now anyways. The tax on big trucks is a good start to finding the funds to fix our roads.

Lastly, back at home, Pinkerton just got over another one of those boil water advisories. This republican garbage they keep spewing isn't helping either. The Mayor has evidently met with the town planner to look at cutting services to those in the County we serve. The County currently doesn't run lines this far north! So the Mayor, and his business friends will have service and the hardworking farmer, the backbone of our community, will not have any services. Does he really want to be known as the outhouse mayor, well I know one thing, he needs to be the out of office mayor.

Come stop by the Kitchen and let me know what you think,
Betty Jo
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

The Hensley Record

Letter to the Editor:
St. Peter's Still On Top

The annual school report cards have been sent out, and St. Peter Elementary is still on top for the city of Hensley and Jameson County.

I have had the opportunity to be the Priest at St. Peter Church for the last 4 years, meaning that I have also been intimately involved with the day-to-day operations of the school for 4 years. Each year I see the school getting better - enrollment is up, test scores are up, class room disruptions are down. This stands in stark contract to other schools in the city, and in the county. Jameson High School is doing miserably. Not only is it having performance issues by county standards, it's failing by state standards.

The answer to the problem (that is; the lack of a high quality high school) is simple. St. Peter Elementary is the best in the county, it makes sense that a St. Peter High School would also be a success. I'm asking the community to look into their hearts and to pray on the matter of establishing a parochial high school in Hensley as an alternative to Jameson High School.

Pax,
Fr. James
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 02:12:20 PM »

The Hensley Record

By All Means, Let's Ignore Inconveniences

A commentary by unlovable curmudgeon Bob Eckhardt........

Since I've come here, I've had no end of amusement at the expense of our resident babbler-in-chief, Mayor McCrimmon. God save the wage earners, for the Mayor is passing the taxes on to you! That's right, straight from the lips of babes. Mayor McCrimmon has announced a plan that will fatten the pockets of his cronies, the "wage creators, the businessmen", at the expense of everyone else.

Now, I'm a frequent visitor to the local tobacco store, that's right, I buy my cigars local, not that horrible Cuban stuff everyone raves about! I might have to reconsider my loyalties though as the Mayor's tax plan will undoubtedly end up causing small businesses to shutter. The blatant cronyism of the Mayor and his enablers on City Council are undoubtedly to blame. They love those nice, fat campaign contributions that allow them to stay in office. This endless cycle can only be killed by kicking them out of office come election time. $100,000 dollars given from our government to their fat pockets. I'm sure it'll all be returned... Through fundraisers, commercials and vote buying. But don't let me get in the way of that! After all, it's always politics as usual at our expense...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »

The Hensley Record

Letter to the Editor:
Hensley Schools Improving, Still More Work to Do

It heartens me to see the drastic improvement in scores at Hensley Elementary and Hensley Middle; we're doing much better this year than last year, and I'm proud of this improvement, especially from my own school, Hensley Middle. But we mustn't let our successes distract from the far bigger challenges ahead. Jameson High is struggling in performance, attendance, and discipline, and the school board's deficits continue to increase - part of that, like enrollment and state funding, is out of our hands, but there's still action that must be done here. Administrative spending continues to increase, and despite our budget challenges, the disparity in funding between Hensley and Pinkerton schools continue to widen. We need to explore alternative sources of funding, but we also need to find areas to cut to balance our budget disparities. We can't continue to increase funding to Pinkerton schools when Hensley schools continue to lag behind in funding -- if anything, we need to concentrate our funding in Hensley to bring them up to the level the other schools are currently at. We may even need to raise property taxes - an unpleasant and dramatic solution, assuredly, but better than having the state come in and take control of our schools.

So what can we do about it? The answer isn't laying off math teachers. We need to reverse our administrative bloat that's occurred in recent years and set clear targets for achievement - that's what we can do on the school board. Now, what about the rest of us? The Hensley City Council wants to set up this plan that'd eventually reduce business taxes - that's not the right route. What needs to happen is for the City Council to set up a tax incentive, to help incentivize Hensley businesses to invest in our schools like they do at the plant down in Norma. Those steps will help us alleviate our budget deficit and keep control of the schools in the hands of the local community.

Now, that's only one of two big problems facing us. The other is Jameson High - how do we improve our high schools? There's a couple of small steps that will help us big in the long run. One is to add computer programming and coding as a foreign language credit - we'll quickly reap the rewards of graduating students prepared for the high-tech jobs of the 21st century. Another is increasing opportunities for students to graduate high school with the training necessary to enter vocational trades immediately afterwards. Finally, we need to reduce standardized testing to give teachers the flexibility to actually teach. We shouldn't get rid of it altogether - testing is essential to make sure kids are learning and growing - but it shouldn't serve as a substitute for teaching.

We face a number of education challenges in the coming years, and we as a community must work to address them. For any of my constituents concerned with the direction of our schools, I urge you to reach out to me and I'll make sure your ideas get a fair hearing.

Dr. Michael A. Wilcox, Principal of Hensley Middle and School Board Member for Hensley
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »

To the Jameson Herald:

The school board has, once again, kicked the can down the road a little bit further. Instead of capping administrator salaries and taking on the demands of high maintenance unions, the board has decided to lay off and, by extension, deport Mr. Wolfgang Heinzel. Mr. Heinzel is a math teacher at Jameson High.

I'm a student at Jameson High School and I see first hand the failure of our school system. Mr. Heinzel is not one of those failures. He's an extraordinary math teacher. Mr. Heinzel is an engineer, meaning he can teach students how to actually apply the stuff they learn in class. He's a model of student engagement. There wasn't a single class disruption the entire time I had Mr. Heinzel.

If the school board believes they have played it safe politically by avoiding taking on the administrators, they were wrong. Hundred of students have had Mr. Heinzel and he's a universally adored figures. We're ready to go to bat for him. There is a group of students who will be attending the next board of education meeting and I encourage every member of the community to turn out.

We have to show the school board that it's time to get their wasteful spending under control.

-Nick Weaver

Mr. Weaver is a junior at Jameson High and chair of the Jameson High Young Republicans and a member of student government.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »

Farmer's Gazette

Letter to the Editor: Let's Keep Pinkerton on Top
Written by Carl Jackson

Based on our "A" ranking on the annual school report card, I am pleased to say it is quite clear that Pinkerton Elementary is the best public school in Jameson County. This needs to stay that way for the benefit of our community's future. Unfortunately, the school board has insidious interests who are hoping to use our county's serious financial problems to undermine our town's education system, as opposed to offering reasonable solutions.  It is time to be vigilant about the quality of education that our children receive in Jameson, and insure that the teachers are not given the short end of the stick. There are those who argue that school spending should be slashed, but at what cost? Will our students have the resources they need for the future if spending is reduced? They won't, and at great cost to the future of Pinkerton. Can our schools be operated without adequate manpower? In actuality, they will flounder. As a community, we need superb teachers, principals, and administrative support in order to maintain Pinkerton Elementary's standing as the best school for our youngest pupils. Now is not the time to support spending cuts in education.

To the contrary, people who care about Pinkerton should advocate for an education system that is properly funded as opposed to one that is decimated by heartless cuts. Maintaining a quality education for the children could very well call for revenue increases in the future, but it will be worth it.

Best and Blessings,

Carl Jackson
Dr. Jackson is principal of Pinkerton Elementary and School Board Member for Pinkerton
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

Are we able to do something else too, and if, what; because just posting newspaper articles and letters seems a bit dull...
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »

I was thinking of having a Wollworths like place that people could talk in called Eckemen's
GAworth
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »

I might put up limited specials at the Kitchen and/or a events calendar. Until the Elections start.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »

I might put up limited specials at the Kitchen and/or a events calendar. Until the Elections start.

This would be good. If you all want to run events of your own, that would be great. It would make it more organic. Like the union organizers can decide to try to unionize a business, I'll provide the employer's response, etc. Church services and the conversations thereafter are good too
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »

Great then Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
(to be sent to households of known registered Republicans in Norma)

Petition for the Incorporation of Norma:
Norma, the third-biggest community in Jameson County, still is not an incorporated town! This is just at the expense of Norma citizens. Normans have proved to be able to sustain and administrate their community themselves, yet for every project, the County Board needs to be adressed. It is about time that Norma residents get their chance of administrating their community themselves, at finally not needing to adress for local issues far in Hensley, but back home in our beautiful Norma!
x Mel Darren
x Ann Darren

(I hope all this is okay?)
GAworth
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »

From the Kitchen
Week ahead Specials at Betty Jo's Country Kitchen
Below are what our daily specials are at the kitchen for the next week.
Monday
Entree: Porkchops with Stewed Tomatoes n Rice - Bone-in Chops lightly breaded and fried, cooked with Rice and Stewed Tomatoes, a Sanders family Favorite!
Side/Dessert: Steamed Green Beans - Fresh Green Beans cooked in a spicy mix of Red Pepper, Lemon Pepper, and Garlic
Tuesday
Entree: Barbequed Pulled Pork Sandwich - Slow cooked rubbed pork mixed with our Sanders Sauce!
Side/Dessert: Country Dumplin's - Creamy and succulent, what more could you ask for.
Wednesday
Entree: Country Fried Steak w/ Sawmill Gravy - Thin cut steak pounded and tendorized, breaded and pan fried, served with our Homemade Sander's White Gravy.
Side/Dessert: "Pink"erton Surprise - Strawberry Ice Cream served with Fresh Fruit and Honey.
Thursday
Entree: Oven Roasted Chicken - In a Herbed Lemon Rub, the bone-in chicken is roasted to perfections
Side/Dessert: Corn Fritters - Great for all ages! Creamy sweet corn niblets battered and deep fried. One of Betty Jo's favorite indulgences.
Friday
Entree: Lemon Baked Salmon - A 8 oz piece of Salmon crusted with Sea Salt, Pepper and Lemon Baked in the oven. A healthy a delicious Friday meal.
Side: Stewed Okra and Tomatoes - A true ol' fashioned side, like Grandma would make.
Saturday
Entree: Chicken n Dumplings - Combines two of the best things in the world, Chicken and dumplings! Chicken cooked in a rich broth made thick by the delicious dumplings.
Side/Dessert: BJ's Asparagus n Onions - Asparagus cooked on a skillet w/ Sweet Onion and spices. A must try.
Sunday
Entree:  Fried Shrimp or Roast Turkey - Delicious gulf shrimp, peeled, de-veined and deep fried in our seasoned dredge. A whole turkey brined and slathered in butter and spices. Cut to order and served with brown gravy.
Side/Dessert: Loaded Mac n Cheese or Peach Cobbler  - 5 Cheese Mac n Cheese with Bacon, no further description necessary . Homemade flakey crust filled with farm fresh peaches cooked in a sweet syrup, and irresistible treat.

Notice of events
The following groups want to invite you to their event this week:
Wednesday: Pinkerton First Action Committee 6pm-7pm at Betty Jo's Country Kitchen
Come share your ideas on how to deal with the never ending sewer problems, our roads, and the threat to our schools.
Wednesday Night Bible Study 5pm-9pm - Shepherd Baptist Church
Bible Study for all ages, see church for more details and times of individual bible studies. Everyone welcome.
Thursday: Pinkerton Private School Committee - 5pm - 7pm At the Library
Come and see a proposal for a Private school to be established here in Pinkerton.
Saturday:  Pinkerton Regional Farmers Market - 8am-Noon on Main Street
Farmers from across the region on Main street to sell their goods. Meats, cheeses, milk, and vegetables from right here in Jameson County.
Pinkerton Elementary Arts Fair - 6pm-8pm At the Elementary School
Come see the kid's Art on display! A group of judges will award ribbons for the best art by grade.
Sunday: Church Services - 8am-2pm at Shepherd Baptist
Come for morning bible study and then services.
Church Services - 9:00am-10:30am at Pinkerton Methodist
Come and join for worship.

Distributed to residents of Pinkerton and the surrounding Country
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »

I'm reserving this space for later, but I have a quick question: will we format this like the Americana timelines or will it just be letters to the editor?
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »

Mayor James Weekly Press Conference

• Congratulations to St. Peter's Elementary for its good test scores.
  • Congratulations to Hensley Schools for increasing their test scores.
  • Urge School Board to keep making sure our kids get a quality education, especially during High School.
  • Business Development Fund is a good idea. As a small business owner, making sure that our taxes are low is important.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »

Father James A. Carbonaro celebrated the Holy Eucharist at St. Peter Catholic Church on Sunday three times, at 6 AM, 10:30 AM, and 5 PM. The 5 PM Mass had the highest attendance, as it has since it was started 2 years ago. His sermon for the week drew parallels to Jesus' use of parables to teach the Disciples and the success of St. Peter Elementary. He also used his pulpit to push the idea of establishing a Catholic High School in Jameson County - "to share the blessings of the God the Father with the good people of county and the lessons of God the Son with the children of the county."

Following the 6 AM Mass, Fr. Carbonaro took a small breakfast in his office at the Church.

Following the 10:30 AM Mass, Fr. Carbonaro met with the teachers of St. Peter Elemenary to discuss the school's success.

Following the 5 PM Mass, Fr. Carbonaro had dinner at Betty Jo's County Kitchen. He had roast turkey, with no gravy, and peach cobbler for dessert.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »

Just an FYI I'll be doing POV character entries done in a playbook format.

Just though youse should know.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »

It was a busy Sunday at Shepherd Baptist Church. The congregation first met at eight o'clock in the morning for a new Bible study from Max Lucado titled Grace, which it will work through for the next few weeks. At 9:00 a.m., the church began its first service, led by Pastor Carl Jackson, who preached on the topic of nurturing children, structuring his sermon around Ephesians 6:4 and Proverbs 22:6. A second service with the same sermon was held at 11:00 a.m. It seemed that the subject matter was well received by the church body. In closing each sermon, Pastor Jackson exhorted his congregation "to always seek to do the best for their children, so they may be favorable in Christ's eyes."

After chatting with several churchgoers for about forty-five minutes after the final service, Pastor Jackson's family and the families of several teachers who attended Shepherd decided to eat a late lunch at Betty Jo's. Pastor Jackson had the fried shrimp with a side of loaded mac n cheese. A major topic of discussion at lunch was ensuring that Pinkerton's share of education spending wasn't in danger of being reduced by Hensley's interests, a cause of concern to several of the teachers in particular. Jackson assured his fellow diners that he would consistently advocate to keep Pinkerton's education system as it was, but that it was necessary for everyone in Pinkerton to have a united front, since the town is already getting a great deal of school funding to begin with. One proposal that a teacher floated around as a means of bringing more money to Pinkerton is to change the town's K-6 school to a K-8 one. The idea met some skepticism, but Jackson was somewhat receptive, and said that he would think about whether he could support it.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »

Franklin Drake is a businessman. He owns three sets of apartments, two gas stations, an appliance store, and several oil and natural gas wells. Drake has used his money to sponsor local charities and school clubs. He's a known contributor to candidates on the board of education and is very involved in the Hensley PTA. He's been a big believer in Hensley schools

Frank has raised the concerns of a lot of Hensley parents saying that Hensley is underfunded and the county's priorities are out of whack. He spoke at a Faculty Senate meeting where both Middle and Elementary from Hensley are present. He praised their ability and called them the best the county had to offer.

Frank then visited Norma school and wrote a $10,000 check to cover school supplies costs for teachers. He spoke to the Faculty Senate meeting focusing on their consistently high grades. "This is a smart investment," he said.

Many say Frank Drake is eying a spot in the upcoming At-Large board of education elections.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »

At-Large School Board Seat? I thought they were all Districts?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 11:52:33 PM »

The Info thread says there is one seat for every district and 3 at large seats.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies