Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:36:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jameson County Game Thread: County Commission Race  (Read 3241 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« on: August 08, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »

Farmer's Gazette

Letter to the Editor: Let's Keep Pinkerton on Top
Written by Carl Jackson

Based on our "A" ranking on the annual school report card, I am pleased to say it is quite clear that Pinkerton Elementary is the best public school in Jameson County. This needs to stay that way for the benefit of our community's future. Unfortunately, the school board has insidious interests who are hoping to use our county's serious financial problems to undermine our town's education system, as opposed to offering reasonable solutions.  It is time to be vigilant about the quality of education that our children receive in Jameson, and insure that the teachers are not given the short end of the stick. There are those who argue that school spending should be slashed, but at what cost? Will our students have the resources they need for the future if spending is reduced? They won't, and at great cost to the future of Pinkerton. Can our schools be operated without adequate manpower? In actuality, they will flounder. As a community, we need superb teachers, principals, and administrative support in order to maintain Pinkerton Elementary's standing as the best school for our youngest pupils. Now is not the time to support spending cuts in education.

To the contrary, people who care about Pinkerton should advocate for an education system that is properly funded as opposed to one that is decimated by heartless cuts. Maintaining a quality education for the children could very well call for revenue increases in the future, but it will be worth it.

Best and Blessings,

Carl Jackson
Dr. Jackson is principal of Pinkerton Elementary and School Board Member for Pinkerton
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »

It was a busy Sunday at Shepherd Baptist Church. The congregation first met at eight o'clock in the morning for a new Bible study from Max Lucado titled Grace, which it will work through for the next few weeks. At 9:00 a.m., the church began its first service, led by Pastor Carl Jackson, who preached on the topic of nurturing children, structuring his sermon around Ephesians 6:4 and Proverbs 22:6. A second service with the same sermon was held at 11:00 a.m. It seemed that the subject matter was well received by the church body. In closing each sermon, Pastor Jackson exhorted his congregation "to always seek to do the best for their children, so they may be favorable in Christ's eyes."

After chatting with several churchgoers for about forty-five minutes after the final service, Pastor Jackson's family and the families of several teachers who attended Shepherd decided to eat a late lunch at Betty Jo's. Pastor Jackson had the fried shrimp with a side of loaded mac n cheese. A major topic of discussion at lunch was ensuring that Pinkerton's share of education spending wasn't in danger of being reduced by Hensley's interests, a cause of concern to several of the teachers in particular. Jackson assured his fellow diners that he would consistently advocate to keep Pinkerton's education system as it was, but that it was necessary for everyone in Pinkerton to have a united front, since the town is already getting a great deal of school funding to begin with. One proposal that a teacher floated around as a means of bringing more money to Pinkerton is to change the town's K-6 school to a K-8 one. The idea met some skepticism, but Jackson was somewhat receptive, and said that he would think about whether he could support it.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »

Since Carl Jackson has called in some vacation days from Pinketon Elementary, he has plenty of free time for thinking. As he starts his Monday, he begins to ponder the idea of adding middle school grade levels to Pinkerton's school more and more. As a fanatic on all education issues, he finds himself constantly searching for information regarding this idea. He becomes confident that the idea will be to his and the town's benefit, but he's not sure how to propose it. He decides to take a break from his thinking, put on some dark slacks and a brown polo shirt, and eat lunch at Betty Jo's.

"Hey, Carl! What's up? You seem kind of glum," Betty said as she slumped over the cash register counting out how many bills she had left. "Darn, only one Hamilton! I hope you don't clean me out Carl. I wasn't looking forward to making a bank run today." "Oh, don't worry Betty Jo, I won't put you through the trouble, but only because you put that nifty credit card machine in. I'm definitely in the dumps. You know, one of the teachers thinks we should make Pinkerton a K-8 school to bring more bucks in. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how I can sell this to the other folks on the school board. I guess I'll have time to think about it while I'm down in Atlanta for the pastor's meeting for a few days." "Oh Carl, you've always taken yourself way too seriously, this isn't the end of the world because you are still plotting your next step. Say, I think I have a slice of cobbler left in the fridge from yesterday. Do you want it? It's free of charge for you, and some dessert might cheer you up." "Sure Betty, I'll take the slice," Carl said. "I meant to order one after church on Sunday, but I went for the cheesy goodness you were offering instead! Oh, and I'll take the special too. How are your little ones doing?" "They're fine," Betty Jo replied. "All three are enjoying their summer, though I've been up to my ears in work here at the kitchen, so it's hard to keep an eye on them. The youngest rascal keeps jumping on that new bouncer I put in the backyard. I tell ya, he puts Tigger to shame! He'd jump on that thing for hours if I let him. Anyway, I'm itching to hear about this newfangled middle school idea. I'd love to keep my kids away from those brats outside of Pinkerton as long as I can." "Oh, I thought you'd say that," Carl chuckled. "Well, I figure that we get more power for Pinkerton if the kids stay in school here longer, and then we'd never have to deal with Hensley schools directly, since our kids would go straight to the county high school." "Sounds like a plan, Carl," said Betty Jo, "but are you ready for the kind of fight that'll cause? Hensley already hates us to start with, this idea could end up being a powder keg." "I know, that's true, but think of how it will help our community stay closer together. I'm ready to fight for this, I just need to make sure that everyone is supporting me." "Well, count me in as a supporter, Carl. If you can get this through, that would be just grand. So, are ya gonna finally go to the CNN center while you're down where the peaches grow?" asked Betty Jo. "I think I might," said Carl, who had just finished his meal. "Did you want any souvenirs or anything while I'm down there in Atlanta?" "A magnet or two would be great, thanks," said Betty Jo as she swiped Carl's Discover card. "Well, I guess I'll see ya later this month Carl. Have a safe trip! I'll try to rally some support for your cause while your gone if that's okay." "That would be great Betty Jo, thank you kindly. God Bless you!"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies