Why did the 13 colonies not descend into chaos after overthrowing the British?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:17:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did the 13 colonies not descend into chaos after overthrowing the British?  (Read 3193 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »

The French Revolution... the ongoing crises in the Middle East... I didn't always think so, but now it seems like the "normal" result to overthrowing the government is chaos and mass violence, at least for a time.

What made the U.S. the exception? (And what are the other exceptions, and why are they also exceptions?)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:34:57 AM »

There wasn't any/enough reason to.  There was the Whiskey Rebellion, but that was small and out on the frontier.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:34:31 AM »

They already had stable functional governments, didn't they? It was just about whether they'd serve George and the British Empire or look out for themselves.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »

They already had stable functional governments, didn't they? It was just about whether they'd serve George and the British Empire or look out for themselves.

Hence the distinction between a war of secession and revolution.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »

Yeah, because the colonies had already been self-governing there was a rather smooth transition because the same system was in place and the same people were in charge.  Same reason many people (including myself) like to refer to it as the War of American Independence rather than the American Revolution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:03:36 AM »

Same reason many people (including myself) like to refer to it as the War of American Independence rather than the American Revolution.

This is the standard term in most of Europe, and I was actually quite surprised when I learnt Americans prefer to use a term like revolution.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »

Same reason many people (including myself) like to refer to it as the War of American Independence rather than the American Revolution.

This is the standard term in most of Europe, and I was actually quite surprised when I learnt Americans prefer to use a term like revolution.

I'd be interested to see if the British have a particular take on it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »

American War of Independence is generally preferred in 'serious' circles, and other than that people don't really care.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »

The American Tax Revolt was in nature primarily a counter-revolution aimed at restoring the old order of the pre-Seven Years War era rather than a revolution aimed at instituting a new order.  However, it proved impossible to get the British to agree to return to that old order, and hence it became an independence movement.  Had France (and Spain) not intervened, I think it entirely possible that the Revolt could have been resolved with an understanding of where the boundaries between colonial and imperial sovereignty lay similar to the American view of where they ought to lay pre-1774.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »

because of strong central leadership that was respected (Washington) without turning into a dictatorship.. If Washington had had ill intentions he easily could have become an American dictator like Franco, Lenin/Stalin etc.

Still Washington kept movements like the whiskey rebellion in check and kept the nation from falling apart.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »

It really is amazing how he managed to build a stable nation on an idea as opposed to an ideology. The idea of a republic, not the ideology of prole rule.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »

It really is amazing how he managed to build a stable nation on an idea as opposed to an ideology. The idea of a republic, not the ideology of prole rule.
To be fair, I don't really think there was any revolution with that goal until the commune. Even the French one was more about Burghers and Peasants as seen by the government's violent repression of urban workers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies