HYPOTHETICAL: Snowe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:55:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  HYPOTHETICAL: Snowe
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HYPOTHETICAL: Snowe  (Read 723 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »

This will never happen, but there HAVE been chitters here and there. So let's just say the beloved Olympia Snowe shows up out of nowhere and wins the GOP nomination. Against Hillary, the gender advantage would be moot. How would she do in the GE? Generic D preferred since everyone here is largely biased towards Hill-dog. Working on a map.

PS: I only make this because I am a massive Snowe fanboy and would kill to see her as president.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 08:31:19 PM by FreedomHawk »

Keep in mind, this is her ABSOLUTE CEILING. Not likely at all.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:28:15 PM »

Why Minnesota but not Wisconsin or Iowa? That's dumb.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »

Why Minnesota but not Wisconsin or Iowa? That's dumb.

Crap. That was from an old map. I'll fix that.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »

There is no way that an unabashed abortionist would get the nomination. If that were to happen, the GOP as we know it is over.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »

There is no way that an unabashed abortionist would get the nomination. If that were to happen, the GOP as we know it is over.

But IF SHE DID, how would it go?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 09:22:58 PM by RR1997 »

I would vote for Snowe enthusiastically, but too bad she would probably lose against Hilldawg. She is too moderate, and would probably alienate the southern base. The map would look something like this:

Hillary Clinton: 382 EV's
Olympia Snowe: 156 EV's
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 08:43:42 PM by FreedomHawk »

I would vote for Snowe enthusiastically, but too bad she would probably lose against Hilldawg. She is too moderate, and would probably alienate the southern base. The map would look something like this:

Hillary Clinton: 397 EV's
Olympia Snowe: 141 EV's

How would she lose those two New England states that even have shreds of Republicans left? I'd also give her the MAL in MIMAL. And Georgia. And Arizona. And Kentucky. MAYBE Florida. Then it wouldn't be humiliating
RR1997
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 08:46:02 PM by RR1997 »

How would she lose those two New England states that even have shreds of Republicans left? I'd also give her the AL in MIMAL. And Georgia. And Arizona. And Kentucky. Then it wouldn't be humiliating

Edit: I'll give NH to Snowe, but no way she carries Maine. She'll come close to carrying it though.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »

How would she lose those two New England states that even have shreds of Republicans left? I'd also give her the AL in MIMAL. And Georgia. And Arizona. And Kentucky. Then it wouldn't be humiliating

She'll come extremely close in Maine and New Hampshire, but she won't outright carry the states at the end of the day.

Not even ME-2?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »

She'll come extremely close in Maine and New Hampshire, but she won't outright carry the states at the end of the day.

Not even ME-2?

I could see it happening in a Snowe victory.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »

Not even ME-2?

First of all, Snowe being seen as "too moderate" will not hurt her southern performance in the slightest. If anything, her moderate views would attract many southern suburbanites and Yankee implants. Secondly, a moderate, socially liberal Northern Republican like Snowe would sweep PA, ME, and NH. She'd also be competitive in Vermont and the Western half of Connecticut (Hawk would know better than me on this, so I might be wrong). I also assume that Snowe is moderate on immigration, so Arizona goes back in her column, and she may pick up Nevada and New Mexico. Either way, the above map is unrealistic.
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »

Not even ME-2?

First of all, Snowe being seen as "too moderate" will not hurt her southern performance in the slightest. If anything, her moderate views would attract many southern suburbanites and Yankee implants. Secondly, a moderate, socially liberal Northern Republican like Snowe would sweep PA, ME, and NH. She'd also be competitive in Vermont and the Western half of Connecticut (Hawk would know better than me on this, so I might be wrong). I also assume that Snowe is moderate on immigration, so Arizona goes back in her column, and she may pick up Nevada and New Mexico. Either way, the above map is unrealistic.

Dixiecrat, do you think Evangelical Southerners would willingly vote for a pro-choice Republican?  Or would they stay home in droves?

I know that a lot of Southern Baptists believe that voting for pro-choice politicians means you have "blood on your hands."  Could this have an effect? 

I'm not sure, but since you live in Alabama, you might have a better read on this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »

Southern conservatives have no reason to vote for Olympia Snowe, in fact, I bet a lot of them would prefer Hillary Clinton.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:20:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quote from: Restricted

There is no way Snowe would be competitive in Vermont. Vermont is one of the most liberal and Democratic states in the country, and Connecticut is also a very Democratic state. I could only see Snowe carrying PA and ME if she won nationally. She would most certainly not easily sweep those states.

You're right. I'll give Arizona to Snowe, but she would most likely not carry Nevada and New Mexico unless she won nationwide.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

That'd be awesome, and it'd really change the direction of the GOP, expanding (or at the very least change) our base.  I think vs. like a Joe Biden, Snowe could have a ceiling like this:

Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:44 PM »

Dixiecrat, do you think Evangelical Southerners would willingly vote for a pro-choice Republican?  Or would they stay home in droves?

I know that a lot of Southern Baptists believe that voting for pro-choice politicians means you have "blood on your hands."  Could this have an effect? 

I'm not sure, but since you live in Alabama, you might have a better read on this.

Most Southern Republicans are, unfortunately, low-information voters who would vote for anyone with the letter (R) next to their name. Either way, no Southerner who would not vote for Snowe because she's to moderate would be the type to even consider casting a vote for Hillary Clinton. In a worst case scenario, they'd be like McDaniel voters in Mississippi, initially extremely upset, but will ultimately hold their nose and vote for whoever's on the GOP ticket.

Slightly irrelevant, but a pro-life ballot initiative was defeated by a landslide in Mississippi, Alabama's ideological twin so most southern states, at the very least, wouldn't mind casting their electoral votes to a pro-choice candidate.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 09:57:52 PM »

Republicans will win the south no matter the nominee.
GaussLaw
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 10:34:01 PM by GaussLaw »

Most Southern Republicans are, unfortunately, low-information voters who would vote for anyone with the letter (R) next to their name. Either way, no Southerner who would not vote for Snowe because she's to moderate would be the type to even consider casting a vote for Hillary Clinton. In a worst case scenario, they'd be like McDaniel voters in Mississippi, initially extremely upset, but will ultimately hold their nose and vote for whoever's on the GOP ticket.

Slightly irrelevant, but a pro-life ballot initiative was defeated by a landslide in Mississippi, Alabama's ideological twin so most southern states, at the very least, wouldn't mind casting their electoral votes to a pro-choice candidate.

The personhood amendment is the most extreme pro-life initiative as it bans common forms of contraception.  Most pro-lifers only favor banning surgical abortions except in cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother.  I was referring more to candidates who support keeping elective, surgical abortion legal in most cases as "pro-choice."  I am sure those pro-life initiatives would pass in MS if they added exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother, right?  And isn't Alabama significantly to the right of Mississippi due to a smaller black population?  Travis Childers could never beat McDaniel in Alabama, and no one would even entertain the possibility.  Yeah, the legislatures are similar due to the fact that Republicans have 50%+ support in both, but it seems like the personhood amendment would be far easier to pass in Alabama.  Blacks were staunchly against the amendment in MS (see the county map for this to verify) and it would be interesting to see how seriously pro-lifers take their stance if a pro-choice GOPer is on the ballot.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 11:44:24 PM »

Unless her opponent is Joe Manchin or Mike Beebee,  Snowe will win the South, like any Republican.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 11:44:59 PM »

Unless her opponent is Joe Manchin or Mike Beebee,  Snowe will win the South, like any Republican.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:22 PM »

As for CT, the most conservative part is definitely Litchfield. Snowe could definitely win that county and MAYBE Windham in order to tighten it up, but overall places like Willimantic, Hartford, New London, and New Haven, would ultimately keep it blue.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

That'd be awesome, and it'd really change the direction of the GOP, expanding (or at the very least change) our base.  I think vs. like a Joe Biden, Snowe could have a ceiling like this:

Little optimistic with Minnesota, but I otherwise agree
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies