Church cancels gay man's funeral
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:39:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Church cancels gay man's funeral
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Church cancels gay man's funeral  (Read 4487 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »

I welcome the jfmtsc's return, albeit his milder personality.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »

I simply don't believe that the pastor is the one with the ability to reliably identify that distinction and believe that one should err on the side of hope.

If a pastor believes someone is living a lifestyle that is in open rebellion to God, the only hope he could honestly offer was the possibility of a death-bed repentance.  And I don’t think the family would have appreciated that kind of eulogy or even agreed of the necessity of a death-bed repentance in their loved-one’s case.

Furthermore, I agree pastors are often faced doing eulogies for those they think fell short of the goal and will then practice good taste, and in kindness to the bereaved, focus the eulogy on the parts of the life of the deceased that were mutually commendable while leaving the sins unmentioned.    But, in this case, I kind of doubt the family would want a eulogy that doesn’t acknowledge the deceased was gay.

On what basis do you doubt that? Serious question; you seem to have a somewhat more in-depth understanding of the ins and outs this story than I do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, the responsibility of funeral arrangements, which include the responsibility to find someone to give a mutually agreeable eulogy, rests with the bereaved.

The pastor rightly concluded he couldn’t give a mutually agreeable eulogy and stepped aside out of respect of the bereaved.  After all, as odd as it may seem, funerals are for living.
[/quote]

That's not really the sense in which I meant it was 'his problem', but whatever.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »

I don't normally ask about such things, but I'm too curious.  What does your signature represent?  It looks like a bit of marginalia from a medieval manuscript.  Those were some pretty detailed and whimsical images.  A rabbit riding a dog with a snail of prey on his arm fits the bill.  Intriguing image, but what statement are you making with it?  Was it penned by the Church's first openly gay archbishop and we're all meant to recognize it?  Is it a metaphor for some political statement?  Or is it one of those, "well, if you have to ask, then you probably wouldn't understand it anyway" sort of devices?

The only statement I'm making with my signature is to point out the awesome imagination of medieval illustrators. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies