Church cancels gay man's funeral
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:37:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Church cancels gay man's funeral
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Church cancels gay man's funeral  (Read 4462 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »

But at least he didn't force them to bake a cake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719893/Christian-church-cancels-blasphemous-gay-funeral-day-says-widower.html

'A widower in Florida says his church canceled his husband's funeral a day beforehand because parishioners found out he was gay and complained about the planned service.
Kendall Capers, of Tampa, says his partner of 17 years, Julion Evans-Capers, died late last month after a four-year battle against Amyloidosis, a rare illness that attacks the organs in the body. The couple was married last year in Maryland.

Mourners were already at Evans-Capers' wake when leaders at New Hope Missionary Baptist Church in Tampa started receiving calls from parishioners, who were angered when a local newspaper ran an obituary listing Capers and Evans as married.

The man's mother, Julie Atwood, was told that holding the funeral at the Christian church would be 'blasphemous' — and the family was sent packing, she says.'
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »

Yeah, there's absolutely no imaginable excuse for this.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:20:05 PM »

That's disgusting, the church should apologize. But I think the worst people here are the ones who 'complained' about the funeral of a gay person.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:28:34 PM »

Wow, that's horrible.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »

Yeah, there's absolutely no imaginable excuse for this.

I know it was a 'thing' back in the dark days; I know of two men who were not able to bury their partners (one died of HIV complications) back in the 1980's in accordance with their religious rite because priests and minsters refused to. But I didn't think it still happened, even as one offs. I didn't think any church would refuse to bury the dead to be honest with you Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »

That explains it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »

muh religious liberty.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »

The total ignorance on the Atlas as to how Southern churches, including blacks ones, as in this case, treat outsiders is hilarious.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »

Beyond disgusting.  
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »

Disgusting and awful. Ashamed of my city.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2014, 03:47:05 PM by TDAS04 »

I hope that most people would not object to the use of the term "bigots" to describe these parishioners, or claim that these hateful people are fine because they're "just adhering to their deeply-held religious beliefs".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »

I'm not sure how we can ban that practice, but, at least, the church should be forced to pay for all costs ther breach of contract caused.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2014, 04:20:46 PM by TDAS04 »

I'm not sure how we can ban that practice, but, at least, the church should be forced to pay for all costs ther breach of contract caused.

Agreed.

To clarify my earlier post, I do think religious groups should be allowed to refuse to hold any funeral for any reason (freedom of religion), but while society can't interfere with these hateful churches, people can ridicule them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »

We can all agree that it is disgusting and definitely not what Jesus would do. The Church should compensate them, but there is no way that this can be (or should be, as terrible as it is) banned.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 05:24:15 AM »

Ah, the "God hates fags" crowd strikes again...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »

The total ignorance on the Atlas as to how Southern churches, including blacks ones, as in this case, treat outsiders is hilarious.

You didn't elaborate on how we should expect them to treat outsiders as you do with your insider black southern religious knowledge. But if you mean that expecting them to think of gay people as more than their sexualities is ignorance on our part then.. laugh away. Silly us!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »

This is the same thing Huh

This man wasn't demanding baked goods from some stranger.  He was a member of the church community. He died.  They promised him and his family this one simple decent thing, and they rescinded.  This isn't just bigotry, it is betrayal.

Thankfully we can at least expect that another church that won't either consign him to Hell or be too cowardly to stand up for the most rudimentary tenets of the Gospel will step in here.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2014, 12:43:20 PM by memphis »

You didn't elaborate on how we should expect them to treat outsiders as you do with your insider black southern religious knowledge. But if you mean that expecting them to think of gay people as more than their sexualities is ignorance on our part then.. laugh away. Silly us!
Perhaps this glimpse of my hometown might offer you some insight.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13418
FWIW, this building used to house a white megachurch, with private day school, of course, before those people moved to the neighborhood by the thousands. It goes without saying, that church then decamped out to the distant suburb of Collierville. A great many churches around here are still named The [now ghetto neighborhood] Baptist/Christian/Etc (but usually one of the first two) Church, decades after they moved to greener whiter pastures. Anyhow, that neighborhood changed/went downhill around the late 1990s. The current congregation moved in and erected the statue (with much fanfare; dedicated on July 4th, bien sur) and here we are. Southern churchy people of both races are still working on seeing people of the other racial group (Asians, Hispanics, and "others" aren't even thought of at all for the most part) as more than just their race. Although it would be wonderful if they did, expecting them to extend that courtesy to gays is incredibly naive, so much so (and you might just be Australian and not know this, though American posters do it all the time too) that one can only conclude that Religious Privilege doesn't permit you too see what is blindingly obvious. Not only does de facto religion (I have no interest in getting into a theological or theoretical debate) not help solve these divisions in life, it strongly contributes to the common sentiment of not quite actual hatred but instead a routine disregard for mutual humanity nestled inside a smug sense of superiority.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »

Nothing more annoying than a homophobic racial minority. Urgh.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »

This is the same thing Huh

This man wasn't demanding baked goods from some stranger.  He was a member of the church community. He died.  They promised him and his family this one simple decent thing, and they rescinded.  This isn't just bigotry, it is betrayal.

Thankfully we can at least expect that another church that won't either consign him to Hell or be too cowardly to stand up for the most rudimentary tenets of the Gospel will step in here.

There are LGBT Christians who are betrayed on a daily basis, in life. There are people who do wonderful things for their church community; for fundraising, for kids, for music and education and they are betrayed when they enter into something joyful with another person. This is nothing new. Nor is the smugness in which people do this on the basis of 2014's big buzzword 'my sincerely held religious beliefs.' It gives you the right to be an asshole, with legal protection.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »

I wonder how Jesus would feel about this.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:02 PM »

Hell, yeah!  And while we're at it, let's make sure that people who don't belong to the right church are concentrated into re-education camps.  After all, any religion that doesn't agree with what we think is moral and upright isn't really a church at all.  In fact, let's just burn their church down to the ground.  Better yet, why not outlaw all religion and churches altogether?  All they ever do is get in the way of progress.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »

Hell, yeah!  And while we're at it, let's make sure that people who don't belong to the right church are concentrated into re-education camps.  After all, any religion that doesn't agree with what we think is moral and upright isn't really a church at all.  In fact, let's just burn their church down to the ground.  Better yet, why not outlaw all religion and churches altogether?  All they ever do is get in the way of progress.

Huh
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »

Huh

MaxQue's post started with "I'm not sure how we can ban that practice...." which sounds like he thinks we should force churches to perform religious ceremonies. I'm not sure he actually thinks that, but that's how I (and presumably Angus) read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies