Church cancels gay man's funeral (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:32:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Church cancels gay man's funeral (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Church cancels gay man's funeral  (Read 4526 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 09, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »

But at least he didn't force them to bake a cake.
This is the same thing Huh

This man wasn't demanding baked goods from some stranger.  He was a member of the church community. He died.  They promised him and his family this one simple decent thing, and they rescinded.  This isn't just bigotry, it is betrayal.

Thankfully we can at least expect that another church that won't either consign him to Hell or be too cowardly to stand up for the most rudimentary tenets of the Gospel will step in here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

But at least he didn't force them to bake a cake.
This is the same thing Huh

This man wasn't demanding baked goods from some stranger.  He was a member of the church community. He died.  They promised him and his family this one simple decent thing, and they rescinded.  This isn't just bigotry, it is betrayal.

Thankfully we can at least expect that another church that won't either consign him to Hell or be too cowardly to stand up for the most rudimentary tenets of the Gospel will step in here.

There are LGBT Christians who are betrayed on a daily basis, in life. There are people who do wonderful things for their church community; for fundraising, for kids, for music and education and they are betrayed when they enter into something joyful with another person. This is nothing new. Nor is the smugness in which people do this on the basis of 2014's big buzzword 'my sincerely held religious beliefs.' It gives you the right to be an asshole, with legal protection.

I still don't get the equivalence you are making here.  It is possible for someone to support inclusiveness, but also be willing to accept that there is a price to freedom of religion, association, and expression, and believe that it is worth it. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »

I don't normally ask about such things, but I'm too curious.  What does your signature represent?  It looks like a bit of marginalia from a medieval manuscript.  Those were some pretty detailed and whimsical images.  A rabbit riding a dog with a snail of prey on his arm fits the bill.  Intriguing image, but what statement are you making with it?  Was it penned by the Church's first openly gay archbishop and we're all meant to recognize it?  Is it a metaphor for some political statement?  Or is it one of those, "well, if you have to ask, then you probably wouldn't understand it anyway" sort of devices?

The only statement I'm making with my signature is to point out the awesome imagination of medieval illustrators. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies