Draw the Congressional Districts of the Alternate States! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:59:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Draw the Congressional Districts of the Alternate States! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Draw the Congressional Districts of the Alternate States!  (Read 19739 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »

This thread is based on my Alternate US States project. I'm doing my best to create a scenario as complete as possible on the political situation of each State, but I don't have enough time and will to try and draw all the Congressional maps. Tongue

Basically, anyone here who's interested in redistricting can submit maps based on each State in this scenario - taking into account that State's territory, its number of representatives under the 2010 apportionment, and the political situation affecting redistricting choice, ie control of the governorship and legislature (you'll find all this data on the main thread).

Anyone interested (besides Jerry)? Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »

I can do NC. They lose a district, no?

Nah, NC (as most of the South) is left untouched under my map. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:24:53 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2014, 03:54:39 AM by Robb the Survivor »

Just to make it simpler, here's what you need to know about each State for redistricting:

State# CDs (2010)GovernorLegislatureGerrymander
New England5DemDemUnlikely
Massachusetts11DemDemLikely
New York18 or 19DemDemPossible
Adirondack9RepRepLikely
Pennsylvania11DemRep or SplitUnlikely
Allegheny7RepRepVery likely
Maryland10DemDemVery likely
North Florida11RepRepVery likely
South Florida16DemRepUnlikely
Texas12RepRepLikely
Rio Grande11RepDemUnlikely
Jefferson12 or 13RepRepLikely
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »

Fantastic job, Politicallefty! Smiley This is exactly the kind of analysis I so badly wanted to see. Cheesy

Also, glad that I wasn't too far off the mark when I expected Democrats to have 6/11 seats. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

Added South Florida to the list. C'mon people, we need more maps! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:26 AM »

Added the three Texas splitoffs. Come on guys, let's get this started! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:38:36 AM »

How exactly do the VRA requirements work? I assume a state like RG would need at least 3 Hispanic-majority districts, but I'm not sure how that number is supposed to be calculated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »

That seems like an excellent redistricting plan, Cranberry. Smiley The borders look very nice, so if it's also VRA-compliant there's no need to look any further!

Muon, it might seem surprising in light of statewide results but yes, local Democrats tend to have the upper hand in this area of Texas. Just look at the House results: Democrats hold 7 of 11 seats even despite living in a nominally R-gerrymandered map. The same is true in the State Legislature. According to my calculations, Democrats hold almost 3/4 of the Texas House of Representatives seats in the area corresponding to RG.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »

Fantastic job, Muon! Smiley I can't wait to see the results of this process.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

That's an excellent analysis, thank you very much! Smiley

Considering that local democrats tend to significantly outperform their respective Presidential candidate, it's very likely that Democrats would actually control around 95 seats and would rarely if ever be at risk of losing their majority.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 03:46:24 AM »

That's an excellent analysis, thank you very much! Smiley

Considering that local democrats tend to significantly outperform their respective Presidential candidate, it's very likely that Democrats would actually control around 95 seats and would rarely if ever be at risk of losing their majority.

Actually I have some of that data, too, and it doesn't support your conclusion. In heavily Latino areas, there can be a large fall off on downballot voting, just as there is in midterm voting. The result is that the GOP can carry local races while the top of the ticket loses. Also many swing districts in urban areas overperformed for Obama, and won't duplicate that result elsewhere on the ticket.

What data do you have, exactly? I compared Obama's rests in CDs with House elections, and it seemed that House candidates generally did better.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »

For the record, my assumption was that the new States would have been created around the early 1960s (first coming into effect with the 1962 elections).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »

But wouldn't the Dems gerrymander Erie so that there was just one safe R seat, and all others lean or safe D?

Perhaps in this alternate reality, the districts are drawn by a bi-partisan panel instead of by the legislature.  Tongue   

Actually, my goal for this project was to assume that everything was exactly like real life except for the States. Wink So yes, a Dem gerrymander is probably more likely.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »

Sorry 'bout that Fuzzy, but I'm sure you don't actually mind working on DRA a little more, do you? Grin
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 05:09:49 AM by Robb the Survivor »

Now that's a gerrymander! Cheesy Great job to both!

Is anyone interested in making a Republican gerrymander in Adirondack? I'm really curious to see how many seats they could grab (my guess was 6 out of 9).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »

Would Adirondack really have a GOP leg? I could see the state senate, but I doubt they'd have the trifecta.

It would have been a bit close, but I'm pretty sure that, in a landslide year like 2010, republicans would be favored to win the State Assembly as well. IRL, this happened in States with a more Democratic PVI...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:42 PM »

Would Adirondack really have a GOP leg? I could see the state senate, but I doubt they'd have the trifecta.

It would have been a bit close, but I'm pretty sure that, in a landslide year like 2010, republicans would be favored to win the State Assembly as well. IRL, this happened in States with a more Democratic PVI...

What about the governorship? I doubt Paladino would have won...

I've been making conjectures and discussing about AD local politics in the main thread on the What If board. To be honest, I have very little idea what the State's politics would look like and there are very few politicians I can name who could credibly occupy the State's major offices. That said, I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that a Republican would be swept in office in the 2010 GOP wave.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »

Very nice! Smiley

Are you interested in drawing the R-gerrymandered 2010 map as well?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 05:01:44 AM »

A few of these districts are only marginally Republican though, and in a good Democratic year (or with good candidates) you could see 5 or 6 seats fall in Dem hands. Does splitting municipalities allow Republicans to solidify their hold on CDs 2 to 5?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:03 AM »

A few of these districts are only marginally Republican though, and in a good Democratic year (or with good candidates) you could see 5 or 6 seats fall in Dem hands. Does splitting municipalities allow Republicans to solidify their hold on CDs 2 to 5?

By swapping about 10 precincts each way between AD 5 and 6, I can move AD 5 up to R+3. With about half an hour work carving up towns I can get AD 5 such that McCain wins the district, and so on.

Sounds good!

One more State I seem to have mostly gotten right, then. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:27:22 AM »

Oh wow, that's a nasty one. Tongue I'm actually surprised the GOP can actually manage to crack the Columbus district, I thought they would have done so IRL if they could.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »

That's really interesting (in a sickening sort of way Tongue)! Excellent work indeed. Smiley

Do you think the GOP could manage to do the same with Pittsburgh in Allegheny?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »

Well, if the only misplaced counties are York, Lyncoming and Tioga, you can't say my division is so bad. Tongue I just think it's nice to draw a pretty "clean" vertical line and if only a few communities are slightly misplaced it's not that big of a problem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »

Well, if the only misplaced counties are York, Lyncoming and Tioga, you can't say my division is so bad. Tongue I just think it's nice to draw a pretty "clean" vertical line and if only a few communities are slightly misplaced it's not that big of a problem.

I'm just saying that geography and demographics would drive any split over an arbitrary line. For example the current proposal to divide CA into six states ignores the straight line dividing SoCal and puts Kern with the rest of the Central Valley. That makes geographic sense.

York and Harrisburg are significant areas in PA and an arbitrary split wouldn't come about. jimrtex's recent thread had a healthy debate about splitting states, including PA. The debate was about a four-way split and you can see that all three alternatives had the entire lower Susquehanna together west to Franklin and keeping Dauphin and Cumberland together. That goes to a mountain-based split.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I did my best to learn about each State's political and cultural regions when I drew the States, but there are so many of them that it's easy to make a few mistakes. Thanks for pointing that one out, I'll keep it in mind next time I tweak around with PA. Smiley

On the other hand, it would take me too much time to re-calculate all the numbers I had to fix the mistake, so I'll still keep these boundaries for the sake of our scenario. Sorry.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »

That's a very interesting map, Train, even though I guess Muon's gerrymander was a bit more aggressive. Wink Anyway, I can only make guesses as to what the legislatures would actually do, so feel free to experine with other hyptheses if you think they make more sense. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies