Renisha McBride shooting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:34:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Renisha McBride shooting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you have found Theodore Wafer?
Guilty of Second Degree Murder

Guilty of Manslaughter

Guilty of Felony Firearm

Not Guilty of Second Degree Murder

Not Guilty of Manslaughter

Not Guilty of Felony Firearm

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Renisha McBride shooting  (Read 9783 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »

A 19-year-old Black girl crashes her car while drunk and pounds on a man's door at about 5:00 AM wanting nothing more than an ambulance. The homeowner hears the pounding and fires through his locked screen door, killing her. Defendant claims self-defense.

I think they got the right verdict personally in convicting him across the board, and I hope he's sentenced to life without any chance of parole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Renisha_McBride

Begin deliberations.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »

Options one and three
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 02:48:53 PM »

Guilty of Manslaughter, Not Guilty of the others
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:25:29 PM »

murder and felony weapon.  Fail to see how one can have murder and manslaughter charges both apply unless Michigan's murder law categorized both murder and attempted murder as murder without regard to whether the intent to kill was successfully carried out.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »

murder and felony weapon.  Fail to see how one can have murder and manslaughter charges both apply unless Michigan's murder law categorized both murder and attempted murder as murder without regard to whether the intent to kill was successfully carried out.

How could you have murder and felony firearm? The firearm was part of the felony (murder).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »

How could you have murder and felony firearm? The firearm was part of the felony (murder).

You don't have to kill someone with a firearm.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »

You don't have to kill someone with a firearm.

Huh... I thought Michigan wasn't one of those states with how they define it. Apparently I was wrong.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »

What do you think of the sentence in this case? Wafer was sentenced yesterday to 15-30 years for the murder charge, as well as 7-15 for manslaughter to be served concurrently, and an extra 2 years on top of the 15-30 for the gun crime.

I personally think he should have been given an indeterminate life sentence. If you were going to give him a minimum of 17 years, it should have been 17 to life, not 17-32.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »

What do you think of the sentence in this case? Wafer was sentenced yesterday to 15-30 years for the murder charge, as well as 7-15 for manslaughter to be served concurrently, and an extra 2 years on top of the 15-30 for the gun crime.

I personally think he should have been given an indeterminate life sentence. If you were going to give him a minimum of 17 years, it should have been 17 to life, not 17-32.

I don't think he could've been given a life sentence.  I don't see how the judge could've scored the offense variables high enough to allow for a life sentence.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »

Just a few years ago, she wouldn't have had any choice but to give him a life sentence. I think they changed the law in accordance with Miller V. Alabama and applied it to adults as well.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »

Just a few years ago, she wouldn't have had any choice but to give him a life sentence. I think they changed the law in accordance with Miller V. Alabama and applied it to adults as well.

No, state law has (at least to my knowledge) never had a mandatory life sentence for second degree murder, and it certainly hasn't been that way any time recently.

MCL 750.317, which went into effect back in 1931 says that second degree murder "shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life, or any term of years, in the discretion of the court trying the same."

Miller v. Alabama is a completely separate issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies