Turkish Presidential Election: August 10, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkish Presidential Election: August 10, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Turkish Presidential Election: August 10, 2014  (Read 13499 times)
swl
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »

Is there any word on who will replace Erdogan as PM?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's coming from this blog that I have been reading for some time when I am looking for information about Turkey : http://www.jamesinturkey.com/what-is-next/
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »

I lurked in that blog of James in Turkey the other day. I feel somewhat disappointed because little has been said on my favourite candidate (Demirtas). The Kurdish opposition is clearly better than AKP and the Kemalists.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »

Couple of interesting facts about the map:

The one landlocked province that the opposition won was Eskişehir, home to two universities and a military base.

Erdoğan's worst province and the only one where he came in third was the Kurdish province of Dersim. Dersim is also the only province where Alevis outnumber Sunnis.
swl
France

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2014, 07:35:15 AM by swl »

I lurked in that blog of James in Turkey the other day. I feel somewhat disappointed because little has been said on my favourite candidate (Demirtas). The Kurdish opposition is clearly better than AKP and the Kemalists.
I don't know much about Turkish politics, but it seems to me that a CHP-HDP alliance would make sense in the future.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »

I don't know much about Turkish politics, but it seems to me that a CHP-HDP would make sense in the future.

The CHP, being Kemalist, opposes federalization or special autonomous status for any region. That's what prevents an alliance with the Kurds.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »

Also note how the touristy areas on the South-West coasts voted against Erdogan, while the more backwardish hinterland voted strongly for him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

Why didn't the opposition win Istanbul? It seems like a natural target.

Also, what would a competitive opposition look like in today's environment?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »

Because the realities of Turkish politics are quite different to the assumptions of Western journalists.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »

Because the realities of Turkish politics are quite different to the assumptions of Western journalists.

How so?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »

Question to those who know these things:

Why did the MHP back Ihsanoglu? Is Kemalism really that transparently a defense of elite groups that the fascists prefer it to Erdogan?

Also can anyone explain Demirtas' pattern in the west of the country? Urban areas?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »

Observe:

As for Istanbul specifically, while middle class 'Westernised' neighbourhoods like Besiktas voted overwhelmingly for Ihsanoglu, most working class districts (which are generally less 'Westernised') voted solidly for Erdogan.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

Erdoğan was the mayor of Istanbul, after all.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »

Why did the MHP back Ihsanoglu? Is Kemalism really that transparently a defense of elite groups that the fascists prefer it to Erdogan?

Also can anyone explain Demirtas' pattern in the west of the country? Urban areas?

1) The MHP is a secular party.

2) The MHP, for all its horrible history, is not really that ideological beyond being secular. In the late 90s/early 2000s, they took part in a coalition government with the Democratic Left Party, the party they were bombing in the 70s.

3) That coalition I spoke of, like the one that existed this year, was basically an anti-Islamist one. There is historical precedent.

4) The MHP is not that far removed from Kemalism themselves. They might be official Kemalist for all I know.

However, it should be pointed out that regardless Ihsanoglu did not run a Kemalist campaign. He was basically just "not Erdoğan".
EPG
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 05:02:32 AM »

More Islamic. It would also help if it could win Istanbul.

But, let's not neglect the extent to which AKP benefits from overseeing Turkey's strong economic performance.
palandio

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2014, 07:35:25 AM »

[...]
As for Istanbul specifically, while middle class 'Westernised' neighbourhoods like Besiktas voted overwhelmingly for Ihsanoglu, most working class districts (which are generally less 'Westernised') voted solidly for Erdogan.
You may also look on it the other way round. Many of Istanbul's working class districts are 'Anatolianized' in the sense that often most inhabitants in one neighborhood stem from the same village in Anatolia, they still identify with their ancestral village and its (e.g. religious) traditions, they travel there every summer for several weeks. In many senses they are rural folks displaced to the suburbs of a mega-city. They live in Istanbul, but they vote like their cousins 500 miles away.
swl
France

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »

I don't know much about Turkish politics, but it seems to me that a CHP-HDP would make sense in the future.

The CHP, being Kemalist, opposes federalization or special autonomous status for any region. That's what prevents an alliance with the Kurds.
I see. I wonder about the young liberals who demonstrated against Erdogan. Despite being Kurd, Demirtas must have some potential among this population right?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »

But, let's not neglect the extent to which AKP benefits from overseeing Turkey's strong economic performance.

Well they tried being more Islamic in this election and that didn't work.

I personally would try to go more left, that's my bias talking though.

The real answer might just be that the opposition can't win under any circumstances.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »

You may also look on it the other way round. Many of Istanbul's working class districts are 'Anatolianized' in the sense that often most inhabitants in one neighborhood stem from the same village in Anatolia, they still identify with their ancestral village and its (e.g. religious) traditions, they travel there every summer for several weeks. In many senses they are rural folks displaced to the suburbs of a mega-city. They live in Istanbul, but they vote like their cousins 500 miles away.

You can look at it the other way, but you have to be careful to avoid absurdity when doing so (i.e. it is important to avoid implying - as often seems to happen - that the city really 'belongs' to the educated middle classes). All of those patterns are entirely typical of first generation urbanisation, of course.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »

Notably hilarious result in Sultanbeyli where Ihsanoglu actually came third, hahaha.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »

I wonder about the young liberals who demonstrated against Erdogan. Despite being Kurd, Demirtas must have some potential among this population right?

It's possible. Demirtas got 9.1% in Istanbul, almost doubling the HDP result in the local election held in March (4.8%). If you compare the district results, Demirtas improved remarkably in some 'westernised' areas like Besiktas (HDP 1.7%/ Dem 6.7%), Kadiköy (1.8% to 6%) or Sisli (4.1% to 9.9%). In Beyoglu, where is located the Gezi Park, Demirtas got 13.1% (HDP 7.3% in the local election). Demirtas did better in Esenyurt on the European side (17.2%) and Sultanbeyli on the Asian side (16.2%), both working class. Sultanbeyli was the district where Erdogan did better (69.6%) and the only one where Ihsanoglu came third (14.2%). It's a fast growing suburb (82k in 1990, 298k in 2011) settled by migrants from Bulgaria since 1945, according to Wikipedia. The Turkish version says nothing on the proportion of Kurdish population there, although it gives some interesting historical details.

Notably hilarious result in Sultanbeyli where Ihsanoglu actually came third, hahaha.

To be fair, CHP and MHP did even worse in the local elections coming 5th and 6th behind Felicity Party and HDP. Great map, btw.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »

1) The MHP is a secular party.

2) The MHP, for all its horrible history, is not really that ideological beyond being secular. In the late 90s/early 2000s, they took part in a coalition government with the Democratic Left Party, the party they were bombing in the 70s.

3) That coalition I spoke of, like the one that existed this year, was basically an anti-Islamist one. There is historical precedent.

4) The MHP is not that far removed from Kemalism themselves. They might be official Kemalist for all I know.

However, it should be pointed out that regardless Ihsanoglu did not run a Kemalist campaign. He was basically just "not Erdoğan".

I was talking to a Turkish acquaintance earlier this year about Turkish politics, and he definitely seemed to organize the parties on a spectrum with the CHP and MHP on the same side - nationalist and militantly secular - with one just more extreme than the other. This person, for what it's worth, was secular and anti-Erdogan but also kind of down on the opposition parties.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »

EPG
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »

Well they tried being more Islamic in this election and that didn't work.

I personally would try to go more left, that's my bias talking though.

The real answer might just be that the opposition can't win under any circumstances.

Then they need to be more Islamic. Add the non-Kurd share of the third-party vote and you get a pretty good maximum of the vote the left-wing can win in current circumstances, assuming no-one at all switches away. The real answer is, probably, that it is hard to defeat a prime minister overseeing 5 - 6% average GDP growth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies