Who will win the Hawaii Democratic Primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win the Hawaii Democratic Primary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who will win the Hawaii Democratic Primary?
Brian Schatz (D), I

Colleen Hanabusa (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Who will win the Hawaii Democratic Primary?  (Read 2886 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »

I have a feeling this is going to be a bad year for the Democratic party.  Hanabusa will manage to win, unfortunately.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »

Making a prediction either way is difficult, but Schatz if Ige wins the gubernatorial nomination narrowly (less than 10 points), and Hanabusa if Ige wins by a large margin. For some reason, I'm still thinking Schatz will win.
Panda Express

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »

Well, Hanabusa is slightly to the right of Schatz but I'm not sure it really counts as a primary challenge "from the right" when the primary between Schatz and Hanabusa has nothing to do with ideology.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »

^ As a Hanabusa supporter, the biggest criticism of her that I've heard is she's a follower, not a leader, on progressive issues (like SSM).
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »

Schatz, yet narrowly.  He'll win with less than 52%.

LOL if they only senate incumbent defeated this cycle is a democrat

In any case, the 3 strongest primary challenges against incumbents (Schatz, Roberts, and Cochran) have all been from the right.

Wat
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »

To continue what Sawx said, the undersampling of Asians will likely benefit Hanabusa due to the Inouye connection. Abercrombie is all but certain to lose, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Schatz's connection to him drags him down too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »

Well, Hanabusa is slightly to the right of Schatz but I'm not sure it really counts as a primary challenge "from the right" when the primary between Schatz and Hanabusa has nothing to do with ideology.

Well, yeah, she wasn't taking him on for that reason but it's still funny to think that a more conservative challenger to an incumbent might finally win a Senate primary...and it isn't a GOP primary. Tongue
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 10:32:53 PM »

In any case, the 3 strongest primary challenges against incumbents (Schatz, Roberts, and Cochran) have all been from the right.

Wat

Schatz is one of the most progressive Senators, and better on the environment, foreign policy, and civil liberties than his opponent. Hanabusa isn't a full-blown DINO, but she's closer to Generic D than a progressive. It took her until Inouye died to come around to Democratic pet issues like SSM, and despite ideology not being a factor, it's still a challenge from his right flank. Miles hit more of a nail on the head too - people are also pissed because they see Schatz as having a future in the party, while they see Hanabusa as a backbencher.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 10:52:25 PM »

LOL at some people on here acting as if Hanabusa is mothering Rand Paul. Hanabusa is progressive, to deny it, is silly.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »

When are these results going to be called?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:36 PM »

^ As a Hanabusa supporter, the biggest criticism of her that I've heard is she's a follower, not a leader, on progressive issues (like SSM).

"progressive issues"? Is that what this sort of thing is called these days?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »

When are these results going to be called?

Whenever the first printout is released. Only 5 polling places are open, after that, than it will be released. It'll include all the early voting and 75% of the absentee votes.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 12:38:07 AM »

LOL at some people on here acting as if Hanabusa is mothering Rand Paul. Hanabusa is progressive, to deny it, is silly.

Hanabusa is to the right of Schatz. She is about as progressive as your average Democrat is. That is all I said. These are facts.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 12:40:06 AM »

Er, dunno what you're trying to get at...That was the first phrase that I thought of.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:51 AM »

Wat

Check, the voting records. She's significantly to the right of Schatz. That doesn't make her a total DINO, since Schatz is pretty liberal. Although ironically he's the conservative Senator from Hawaii by an insignificant amount.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »

Seems she's leading right now
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »

We'll see if that holds up with the third print out.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 01:36:28 AM »

We'll see if that holds up with the third print out.

Never brought up a good theory. If Abercrombie is completely decimated, Schatz is dragged down with him. I think we may see that since Neilly-boy was absolutely humiliated.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »

Hanabusa may be mildly to the right of Schatz, but realistically, they're going to be voting the same way on 99% of legislation. That's why even though I support Schatz, I won't really be upset if Hanabusa wins.

It's kind of like the Roberts/Wolf primary in Kansas, not a campaign based at all on ideology or voting record, but internal political divisions within the state and non political issues (i.e. Roberts' residence, Inouye's request, etc.)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »

Er, dunno what you're trying to get at...That was the first phrase that I thought of.

Well, what is a "progressive issue"? An issue inspiring to "progressives", an issue the "progressive" side will likely win, a social issue, ... what exactly? And other than SSM, what is an example of another "progressive issue"?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »

Well, what is a "progressive issue"? An issue inspiring to "progressives", an issue the "progressive" side will likely win, a social issue, ... what exactly? And other than SSM, what is an example of another "progressive issue"?

I'd imagine it's an issue that the left supports and the right opposes. Like marijuana legalization or (actual) immigration reform.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »

I'd imagine it's an issue that the left supports and the right opposes. Like marijuana legalization or (actual) immigration reform.

I'll give you immigration reform, but pot legalization sort of bends the right-left spectrum. In general, yes, more lefties support it than righties, but there are plenty of right wingers who view pot legalization as not a big deal and should happen. And similarly, there are plenty of people like Patrick Kennedy on the left who think pot should remain illegal.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »

I'll give you immigration reform, but pot legalization sort of bends the right-left spectrum. In general, yes, more lefties support it than righties, but there are plenty of right wingers who view pot legalization as not a big deal and should happen. And similarly, there are plenty of people like Patrick Kennedy on the left who think pot should remain illegal.

I tend to think marijuana legalization will become a nanny state vs. anti-regulation thing sometime down the road, kind of like alcohol, cigarettes, and food. But as of right now ideology still has a good grip on that issue.
GaussLaw
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »

I tend to think marijuana legalization will become a nanny state vs. anti-regulation thing sometime down the road, kind of like alcohol, cigarettes, and food. But as of right now ideology still has a good grip on that issue.

Indeed.  If marijuana is legalized, it will eventually switch from being a social issue to an economic issue.

The social issue/economic issue dichotomy can lead to some strange things, like Democrats wanting to legalize marijuana for 18 year olds but heavily restrict soda consumption.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »

Indeed.  If marijuana is legalized, it will eventually switch from being a social issue to an economic issue.

The social issue/economic issue dichotomy can lead to some strange things, like Democrats wanting to legalize marijuana for 18 year olds but heavily restrict soda consumption.

Bloomberg is a Democrat?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies