Islamic State terrorists bury 500 Yazidis alive, enslave 300 women
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamic State terrorists bury 500 Yazidis alive, enslave 300 women
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Islamic State terrorists bury 500 Yazidis alive, enslave 300 women  (Read 1646 times)
Cory
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:57 AM »

Could we not use the word "terrorists" like in the thread title?  ISIS is an actual army, albeit one committing war crimes and crimes against humanity, not a terrorist organization.  Describing ISIS as a terrorist organization ruins the usefulness of the word terrorism.

Fair enough. I always thought it was missing the point to describe Hamas and Hezbollah strictly as terrorist groups when they basically have standing armies and functioning governments. When some people on CNN were debating Hamas I thought they were being rather naive not to recognize the fact that the Gaza strip is for all intents and purposes a small nation state run by Hamas. "Hamasistan", if you will. There are really "two Palestines" at this point.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »

At least ISIS never turned a Yemeni wedding into a Yemeni funeral.

Roll Eyes

Not yet.
He's being sarcastic...which is funny because he probably supports droning, so by his own logic there is nothing wrong with ISIS' actions.

This is the funniest and most ridiculous leap of logic I've ever seen. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was satire.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »

Considering the rather unusual opinions quite a few here seem to hold I'd generally advise against sarcasm unless you're, say, Mr Morden or something. Even then, in the other thread I missed his point entirely, so I'd generally avoid it unless extremely obvious.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »

I just want to remind everyone that there have been a lot of reports coming out of Iraq that have later been debunked as false. I myself was guilty of posting one recently regarding the destruction of a historic church. There was also a rumor going around that ISIS was requiring female circumcision, which ultimately turned out not to be true either.

In a war zone, it's easy for rumors to get started and information to be misinterpreted. It's happened before. During the Gulf War, you had nonexistent Iraqi soldiers taking nonexistent Kuwaiti babies out of nonexistent hospital incubators in order to kill them. During the Iraq War, you had Saddam Hussein allegedly feeding political enemies into a nonexistent human-size paper shredder.

It might be wise to "embargo" links to atrocity-related posts for a day or two until all of the facts actually come in.

The difference here is that mass murder of civilivians and slavery are a part of modus operandi of the kind of Islamic fundamentalism ideology which the Gulf States produce and which ISIS follow. The intellectual discussion of it goes back over the last few decades, you can find the arguments for capture and sale of slaves. Female genital mutilation on the other hand doesn't fit their ideology.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »

Considering the rather unusual opinions quite a few here seem to hold I'd generally advise against sarcasm unless you're, say, Mr Morden or something. Even then, in the other thread I missed his point entirely, so I'd generally avoid it unless extremely obvious.

I'm still annoyed that more people didn't understand my humor in this post from way back in April:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=190549.msg4123792#msg4123792
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »

I think it's less a matter of not understanding than it is not seeing.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies