Opinion of Israeli marriage law (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:54:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Israeli marriage law (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Israeli marriage law
Freedom Law

Horrible Law

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Opinion of Israeli marriage law  (Read 808 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »

Israel doesn't have a civil marriage statute. It only recognizes religious marriages, and for Jews this means by Orthodox standards. In other words Jews and non-Jews can not be married in Israel. Not even that, but the Orthodox standards of who is a Jew are quite restrictive and would exclude many people thought of as Jewish in the US. The only way for Jews and non-Jews to be married in Israel is to get married in another country under a loophole that Israel recognizes all international marriages, meaning Cyprus is a relatively popular destination for Israeli weddings.

For all the criticism of places that haven't introduced gay marriage yet, Israel doesn't even recognize interracial marriages and is basically at the standards of most US states before 60s, rather than before the 00s.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »

Don't give a sh*t. But admittedly I don't bother to go through the law books of random countries to find bad laws I can rant about.

Neither do I, it's just something I've seen brought up a lot recently now that Israel's in the news a lot and has been brought up before. And was reminded by the Israel LGBT thread because if you want to talk about gay marriage...Just about all American Jews familiar with the law (which of course is not all or even a majority of American Jews) also seem to find the law repulsive of course.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »

Don't give a sh*t. But admittedly I don't bother to go through the law books of random countries to find bad laws I can rant about.
I'm guessing this was no more "random" than my very popular thread earlier in the day Wink

Your opinion of the law?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies