Is George W. Bush to blame for ISIS? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 12:16:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is George W. Bush to blame for ISIS? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is George W. Bush to blame for ISIS?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Is George W. Bush to blame for ISIS?  (Read 7406 times)
OAM

« on: August 10, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »

Perhaps indirectly, in the same way that Wilhelm II is responsible for Stalin.  Sure, he's a link in the chain, but the rise of ISIS was hardly *inevitable* from his actions.  Instability in general could be more heavily attributed to him, and even then there's caveats that complicate things.  There's been ample chance for the course to have been diverted since then, and by that I don't mean undoing all the damage, but it's like a asteroid.  The further away it is, the less of a push you have to give it to avoid it hitting a very specific spot.
OAM

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »

Eisenhower's fault for the 1953 Iranian coup, which eventually led to the Iranian Revolution, Iran-Iraq War, Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, Gulf War, Gulf War II, and the rise of al Qaeda in Iraq.

The fact that ISIS probably wouldn't exist without Eisenhower's Iranian intervention is quite valid especially as everyone in the past couple of decades has come to agreement it was a major blunder and f**k up and the consequences are being reaped today. Another dark mark on Ike's legacy.

Gavrilo Princip's fault for assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinand.  Without that assassination, no World War I, dissolution of the Ottoman Empire, or the eventual establishment of Iraq as an independent state.  And thus, no ISIS.

The fact that ISIS probably wouldn't exist without the assassination of the archduke is quite valid especially as everyone in the past century has come to agreement it was a major blunder and f**k up and the consequences are being reaped today. Another dark mark on Princip's legacy.

Thank you for these.  I wanted to do something similar earlier today, but couldn't manage with my current migraine.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies