Sanders: Not sure about Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders: Not sure about Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders: Not sure about Hillary  (Read 1662 times)
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »

Bernie Sanders says he isn't sure Hillary Clinton would make a good president.
Could he be looking at a run himself?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »

Could he be looking at a run himself?

Ummm….of course he is.  He's been saying so publicly over and over for the past nine months.  Haven't you been paying attention?  Smiley

E.g., as discussed at great length in the tea leaves thread:

Bernie Sanders is touring the South this week, and says that he's "willing to consider making a run if no one else with progressive views similar to his ends up taking the plunge":

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131115/NEWS03/311150043/Sanders-wants-progressive-presence-in-2016-president-race

As mentioned in the other thread, Sanders talked some more about 2016 in an interview with The Nation:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/178717/bernie-sanders-i-am-prepared-run-president-united-states#

Yep, twice.  One trip on Saturday, and another later this month.  Also sounds like he's leaning towards running as a Democrat:

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:29 AM »

BURN HIM AT THE STAKES FOR INSULTING OUR SAVIOR
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »

These baby penguins are also not sure that Hillary Clinton would make a good president:

http://www.clickhole.com/article/8-baby-penguins-are-pretty-cute-dont-stand-chance--686

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »

LOL
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »

Bernie Sanders is definitely running for the Democratic nomination against Hillary Clinton. While I only see him winning the Vermont primary, he can potentially give Hillary Clinton a run for her money in the Iowa Caucuses and the New Hampshire primary by receiving 20-30% of the vote in them.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »

BURN HIM AT THE STAKES FOR INSULTING OUR SAVIOR

Lol
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

Bernie may be unelectable, but he is a voice for people exhausted and tired of what has happened over the years.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »

Paul/Sanders 2016. Save our Republic!

LOL! You do realize that they strongly disagree on most issues?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »

Only on Atlas...
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

Truth be told, Sanders is one of our closest allies on the left.

How is he our ally on the left?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »

Bernie Sanders is definitely running for the Democratic nomination against Hillary Clinton. While I only see him winning the Vermont primary, he can potentially give Hillary Clinton a run for her money in the Iowa Caucuses and the New Hampshire primary by receiving 20-30% of the vote in them.

So you're thinking he will become a Democrat (last I checked, he wasn't) just for the sake of running against Hillary Clinton in the 2016 primaries?  
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »

So you're thinking he will become a Democrat (last I checked, he wasn't) just for the sake of running against Hillary Clinton in the 2016 primaries?  

From his public statements over the past nine months, that's exactly what it sounds like he's going to do (should he run).  He says that he doesn't want to be a spoiler in the general election, and he's highlighted the fact that if you run in the primaries for either of the two major parties, that gives you an opening to participate in the primary debates.  So that sounds like he's looking at running for president as a Democrat, but nothing's official yet.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:38 PM »

From his public statements over the past nine months, that's exactly what it sounds like he's going to do (should he run).  He says that he doesn't want to be a spoiler in the general election, and he's highlighted the fact that if you run in the primaries for either of the two major parties, that gives you an opening to participate in the primary debates.  So that sounds like he's looking at running for president as a Democrat, but nothing's official yet.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think the party establishment should shut him out. He's not a legitimate Democratic candidate if he's not even an actual member of the party. Doesn't he do the same thing in Vermont every time he's on the ballot? He runs for the Democratic Nomination but ends up being an independent.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »

Never thought I'd say this, but I think the party establishment should shut him out. He's not a legitimate Democratic candidate if he's not even an actual member of the party. Doesn't he do the same thing in Vermont every time he's on the ballot? He runs for the Democratic Nomination but ends up being an independent.
Well, yeah. You don't have to be a member of a party to seek its endorsement. Cuomo winning the WFP endorsement is a good example.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »

Hillary won't even debate him he won't even have the money to run ads.
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »

it seems like refusing to debate Sen. Sanders could easily backfire on Hillary.  It would probably cause a firestorm in the media and it could hurt her standing among "liberals" in the primary.  This is assuming that Sanders registers as a Democrat.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »

it seems like refusing to debate Sen. Sanders could easily backfire on Hillary.  It would probably cause a firestorm in the media and it could hurt her standing among "liberals" in the primary.  This is assuming that Sanders registers as a Democrat.

Even if he does register as a Dem he would have only been one for less than a year while Hillary has been one for decades.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 11:02:15 PM »

Anti-fed and centralization
Cite? he hasn't sponsored the Audit the Fed bill in the Senate and he supports most Federal agencies so I don't see how he's anti-centralization
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »

I don't agree.  The last thing we need is a Nader 2000 style situation in 2016.  And Sanders caucuses with us in the Senate, so it's not like he's some random nobody trying to run.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »

Anti-fed and centralization
Cite? he hasn't sponsored the Audit the Fed bill in the Senate and he supports most Federal agencies so I don't see how he's anti-centralization
Anti-centralization, in my eyes, is in opposition to a tight body controlling and manipulating everything.

This was anti-fed to me:
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/the-fed-audit

Yes, Paul and Sanders do agree on some issues like that they are against the federal reserve giving secret corporate welfare. Sanders is doing it because he's pretty liberal and seems to be about the least corrupt member of Congress. Paul just has an obsession with the fed, I think.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:14 AM »

I don't agree.  The last thing we need is a Nader 2000 style situation in 2016.  And Sanders caucuses with us in the Senate, so it's not like he's some random nobody trying to run.

Also, I'm not sure what "shut him out" even means here.  The DNC can't stop Sanders from getting on the primary ballots.  If he wants to run as a Democrat, he'll do so, and doesn't need anybody else's permission for it.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »

Also, I'm not sure what "shut him out" even means here.  The DNC can't stop Sanders from getting on the primary ballots.  If he wants to run as a Democrat, he'll do so, and doesn't need anybody else's permission for it.

They can completely ignore him and throw all their support and money behind Clinton, which they were likely gonna do anyway.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies