Interesting poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:32:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Interesting poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting poll  (Read 5955 times)
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2003, 09:05:56 PM »

out of Montana taken the byMason-Dixon during the latter part of last week.  Bush way ahead of all potential Democratic nominees.  That's not the interesting part.  Bush being way ahead in a mountain state means no more than a Dem running way ahead in Massachusetts.  Big deal.  What was intersting to me was that Dean ran better against Bush than any of the other Dem candidates.

Bush by 26 over Clark, 28 over Liberman, 32 over Kerry, and 30 over Gephardt.  Dean was down 22.

Kind of surprised me.  I figured Dean would not be running the best especially in a pretty conservative western state.
M

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 09:15:41 PM »

Well, y'know what they say-- there's lies, damn lies, and then there's poll results!

Very humorous. At this stage, this indicates mainly name recognition. As in, "Oh, yeah, Dean, isn't that... oh, no, that's Brittney Spears... oh, wait, yeah Dean, he's running for president, right? Oh yeah, ok, yeah, that's what I thought. Yeah, ok, put me down for supporting Howard Dean".

Few people beyond politicians, analysts, enthusiasts, journalists, and people with too much free time know much about the dem primary. Yet. That's why Bush is saving choiuce clips to be replayed later.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 10:15:53 PM »

out of Montana taken the byMason-Dixon during the latter part of last week.  Bush way ahead of all potential Democratic nominees.  That's not the interesting part.  Bush being way ahead in a mountain state means no more than a Dem running way ahead in Massachusetts.  Big deal.  What was intersting to me was that Dean ran better against Bush than any of the other Dem candidates.

Bush by 26 over Clark, 28 over Liberman, 32 over Kerry, and 30 over Gephardt.  Dean was down 22.

Kind of surprised me.  I figured Dean would not be running the best especially in a pretty conservative western state.

I think what this proves is that liberals in Montana are the same as liberals in Vermont.  The far left wing has literally taken over the Democratic Party (that's why I left it) in every state.  That isn't an exaggeration.

The reason Dean is performing so much better than his rivals (and even in a state like Montana) is b/c each of his rivals are perceived as too conservative for the party--a conservative Democrat (Lieberman, in some ways Gephardt, Clark, Kerry and Edwards) will never win a Democratic primary for president b/c the liberals who control the party would never vote for them.
M

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 10:43:20 PM »

Note that this trend you identify is a departure from the '90s. This indicates the fall of the Clinton Centrist Coalition. I've said it before, and I will say it again- if the dems can not recover from the current trend by the end of the decade, the US may have a complete reordring of politics in the nation, possibly including the utter collapse and replacement of the democratic party.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 10:51:45 PM »

It's not that Zell didn't try to warn them.
Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 10:53:23 PM »

Dean has actually spent quite a bit of time campaigning in Idaho.  The reason: the Idaho primary is one week before the March Super Tuesday primaries.  If he wins Idaho it'll be in the papers for a full week leading up to Super Tuesday - which could be enough of a media push to win Super Tuesday and, for all intents, get the nomination.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 10:57:23 PM »

Not a bad strategy.  i'll say this for Dean.  He's run a very savy campaign thus far and it's the little things like this which have given him the edge so far.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 11:00:03 PM »

Actually what gave him the edge is that he is the only one to seriously criticize Bush is a consistent manner. Regardless of how one feels about the war, the manner in which it was presented to both the American public and the rest of the civilized world is indefensible.
Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 11:09:41 PM »

Bit of a threadjack, Beet.

I think another reason Dean is doing well is because of he is quite conservative on several issues, especially gun control.  Why he's allowing himself to be painted as an extreme liberal is condusing to me.  I don't hink he'll win the election, but it'd be quite a bit closer if he was a passionate moderate rather than an angry liberal.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 11:12:37 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2003, 11:14:45 PM by Beet »

Sorry, being called a Middle Eastern dictator and hearing Carter being compared to Hitler threw me off temporarily. Unless I misconstrued the post...

The point is that Dean distinguished himself as the antiwar candidate, thats why he's not in Kerry's position now. Certainly the technology-savvy helped, but he's going to allow himself to be painted as a strong liberal until he's confident in winning the primaries, because for now that's still his base. Certainly for those of us looking at the general election, things are very different.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 08:05:36 AM »

Couldn't help but see your signature, CairoEast.  LOL!  The EECS-Electoral College Championship Series!

Great signature.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 02:13:41 PM »

Dean is opposed to gun control.
In Montana that matters a lot.
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 04:49:28 PM »

One issue, guns doesn't make you a conservative.  And Balancing the budget the size of half of Miami hardly makes hima  fiscal conservative.
DarthKosh

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 06:58:31 PM »

Bit of a threadjack, Beet.

I think another reason Dean is doing well is because of he is quite conservative on several issues, especially gun control.  Why he's allowing himself to be painted as an extreme liberal is condusing to me.  I don't hink he'll win the election, but it'd be quite a bit closer if he was a passionate moderate rather than an angry liberal.

If he is a passionate moderate as you say he would not have the isane left on his side.
DarthKosh

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 06:59:23 PM »

Sorry, being called a Middle Eastern dictator and hearing Carter being compared to Hitler threw me off temporarily. Unless I misconstrued the post...

The point is that Dean distinguished himself as the antiwar candidate, thats why he's not in Kerry's position now. Certainly the technology-savvy helped, but he's going to allow himself to be painted as a strong liberal until he's confident in winning the primaries, because for now that's still his base. Certainly for those of us looking at the general election, things are very different.

He will lose his base if he tries to move to the center.  Nader would pick those voters up.
DarthKosh

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 07:00:26 PM »

Dean is opposed to gun control.
In Montana that matters a lot.

The whole picture not one issue.  Dean is still going to get his ass handed to him in Montana.
Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2003, 08:35:51 PM »

I don't hink he'll win the election, but it'd be quite a bit closer if he was a passionate moderate rather than an angry liberal.

If he is a passionate moderate as you say he would not have the isane left on his side.

The insane left is what it is: delusional.  He's a moderate and will have to lose those freakos that give the Dem's a bad name in order to put up a good show in the election.
Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2003, 08:37:08 PM »

Couldn't help but see your signature, CairoEast.  LOL!  The EECS-Electoral College Championship Series!

Great signature.

Thanks.  It's derived from an EC post I made.
DarthKosh

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2003, 08:55:14 PM »

I don't hink he'll win the election, but it'd be quite a bit closer if he was a passionate moderate rather than an angry liberal.

The insane left is what it is: delusional.  He's a moderate and will have to lose those freakos that give the Dem's a bad name in order to put up a good show in the election.

He shows that he is a "moderate"  and he loses at least 30% of his base in the general.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies