SUPERIMPERIALIST AMERICA ERA ONE: The Ascent to Domination (1844-1991)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  SUPERIMPERIALIST AMERICA ERA ONE: The Ascent to Domination (1844-1991)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Author Topic: SUPERIMPERIALIST AMERICA ERA ONE: The Ascent to Domination (1844-1991)  (Read 99964 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2004, 03:43:13 AM »

So many possiblities if this goes on through the Cold War.  All the coups and military intervention we did could all end up becoming states.

Can also nab a few African territories from Germany in WW1 (Kameroon, Sudwestafrika and Tanganyika).

Ahh the possiblities.

Yes, I'm planning on the US annexing Spanish, German, and maybe British African territory.  Also, the Siberia territory will play a big part in the Cold War.

Well if we're in Siberia maybe there won't be a Cold War - we'll be exerting influence in Russia and can either prop up the Czar or aid the White side in the civil war.  Those Bolsheviks wouldn't have a chance.

USA UK and France all did help the white side during the war, they still lost, they were unorganised, basically lots of separate armies whereas the red army was very centralised with control of all the major railways, and they had Leon Trotsky of course.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2004, 09:22:40 AM »

So many possiblities if this goes on through the Cold War.  All the coups and military intervention we did could all end up becoming states.

Can also nab a few African territories from Germany in WW1 (Kameroon, Sudwestafrika and Tanganyika).

Ahh the possiblities.

Yes, I'm planning on the US annexing Spanish, German, and maybe British African territory.  Also, the Siberia territory will play a big part in the Cold War.

Well if we're in Siberia maybe there won't be a Cold War - we'll be exerting influence in Russia and can either prop up the Czar or aid the White side in the civil war.  Those Bolsheviks wouldn't have a chance.

USA UK and France all did help the white side during the war, they still lost, they were unorganised, basically lots of separate armies whereas the red army was very centralised with control of all the major railways, and they had Leon Trotsky of course.

Exactly. The Whites never stood much of a chance in the Russian Civil War. They never won the hearts and minds, and a civil war can NEVER be won without that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2004, 09:31:22 AM »

Actually both sides were hated by the Peasants (who formed about 80% of Russia's population) hence the "Green" revolts and Nestor Makhno's "Blacks".
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2004, 09:40:08 AM »

Ahh the possiblities.

Exactly. The Whites never stood much of a chance in the Russian Civil War. They never won the hearts and minds, and a civil war can NEVER be won without that.

most wars can't be won without the hearts and minds - e.g. the Vietnam war, the guerrillas had the support of the peasants - "Fish Swim in Water". Anyone who can tell me who said that gets my admiration.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2004, 10:25:24 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2004, 10:25:43 AM by VP Harry »

PART TWO:

1897—Seeing how Spanish lands generally vote Progressive, Congress decides to admit the rest of Mexico as states.  The states of Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, and Franklin are admitted in former central Mexico.

[note:  in this timeline the Berlin Conference of 1884-85 never occurred].  Roosevelt summons all European nations to Washington for the Washington Conference in which they will discuss imperialist claims of each nation.  Britain, France, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russia, Portugal, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Japan, and the Ottoman Empire attend.

1898—The US frigate Panama explodes mysteriously in Manila Harbor in the Philippines, owned by Spain.  Congress declares war on Spain without TR’s asking, and the Spanish delegates in Washington are taken prisoner.  Commodore Dewey captures the Philippines.  The navy under Admiral Smith blockades the Spanish mainland.  Spain has no choice but to surrender to the US.  The US assumes all of Spain’s African territory.

With that, the Washington Conference concludes.  TR calls for a conference beginning the next year to discuss claims in Asia.

1899—American Morocco, Rio del Oro, American Equatorial Africa, and American Angola are formally organized into territories.  The Second Washington Conference begins.  Spheres of influence in China are divided among Japan, the US, Russia, Britain, and France.

Many members of the Democratic-Republican Coalition switch to the Progressive Party, leaving only Conservatives in the DRC.  The DRC changes its name to the Conservative Party.  

1900—Liberia decides to give up independence and join American Equatorial Africa.  Breaking tradition, but saying that his first term was incomplete, Theodore Roosevelt runs again for reelection.  The Conservatives turn to William Jennings Bryan and Adlai Stevenson.  The South responds well to Bryan, and the Northeast responds much better to Roosevelt, making somewhat of a turnaround.  

1901—Roosevelt grants statehood to Puerto Rico [includes Virgin Islands] and Jamaica.

1902—Roosevelt decides to offer territoryhood to American East Asian possessions.  The Phillipines is divided into 3 territories and Taiwan becomes a territory.

1903—Roosevelt starts the “Roosevelt Doctrine” that any region of the world may voluntarily annex itself to the United States.

1904—Roosevelt decides not to run again.  The Conservatives again nominate William Jennings Bryan and Adlai Stevenson, while the Progressives choose TR’s handpicked successor William Taft and James Sherman.  Bryan wins more states than before, but without the support of the Spanish states, which are now solidly Progressive, he cannot win.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2004, 10:33:06 AM »

Very interesting scenario, while I strongly doubt parts of it would ever happen it still is very fascinating.

Siege
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2004, 10:34:13 AM »

How did the British get hold of Libya?
dunn

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2004, 10:37:52 AM »

nice...the progressives rules

good work.

how come oklahoma still not in the union?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2004, 10:48:23 AM »

Excellent work!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2004, 11:00:23 AM »

Al, who would be leader of the CCF that I should include maybe as a presidential cnadidate?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2004, 11:05:29 AM »

Fantastic scenario! Perhaps you could have the USA swallow the UK due to war or something...i've always wondered how the State of Scotland would have voted....Smiley
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »

Fantastic scenario! Perhaps you could have the USA swallow the UK due to war or something...i've always wondered how the State of Scotland would have voted....Smiley

Ralph Nader!!!! lol
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2004, 11:09:42 AM »

Perhaps a war with Britain, and the US assumes control of the entire British Empire . . . Smiley
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2004, 11:12:33 AM »

I thought I've read in places that people believe that the U.S. will be allying with the U.K. I doubt that. Germany and the U.S. would be much better. Britain and France would be mad at Imperialist America for getting into their business i.e. Canada. The Japanese, Russian, English and French Empires against your America could run into serious problems, but America would have what America and France have, not Germany. I think.

Siege
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2004, 11:12:34 AM »

I wonder when we get the southwest
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2004, 11:16:47 AM »

Also, why was the U.S. willing to annex all that Spanish territory but made Quebec a republic? Just a little contridiction I think.

Siege
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2004, 11:17:20 AM »

Perhaps a war with Britain, and the US assumes control of the entire British Empire . . . Smiley

YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR EMPIRE!!!!!!!!!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2004, 11:17:40 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2004, 11:21:05 AM by Al »

Al, who would be leader of the CCF that I should include maybe as a presidential cnadidate?

The first leader of the federal CCF was J.S.Woodsworth (the MP for Winnepeg North).
In 1944, Tommy Douglas was elected Premier of Saskatchewan (you could make that Governer) and led the federal NDP (the new name for the CCF) from the early '60's.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2004, 12:37:40 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2004, 12:39:17 PM by Lunar »

No one from any of the new states or territories has ran for president yet.  You said yourself that Central America has at least been heavily populated by Southern immigrants, surely one of them will be interested.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2004, 01:06:56 PM »

a couple of things, in 1883 we would have inherited a war with england, no doubt, just as we inherited a war with Mexico in 1845 (though it took till 1848 to make it happen).  In fact, Belize is still claimed by Guatemala.  Also, the maquilladoras in Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, and Tampaulipas vote more capitalist than the peasants in Chiapas, Tabasco, Oaxaca, and Campeche. Also, an US idealist did try to set up an anglocentric empire in Baja California Sur around 1850, and it failed.  I forget the guy's name.  Bryan would have fared better in northern Central America, I imagine, depending on whether capitalist bosses would have let the working classes vote.  Also, when you show ventures into the eastern hemisphere (specifically africa) you should give more space to conflicts with england, france, italy, and germany.  I don't think they'd appreciate US involvement in Africa at that time anymore that TR would stomach european involvement in the Caribbean at that time.

Take a look at http://prep.ife.org.mx:8080/elecciones2003nacional/index.html for the most recent election results of our closest neighbors.  Although, given your scenario, they wouldn't have had seventy years of PRI rule.  I travel to mexico several times per year and enjoy discussing politics with the locals.  I know nothing of canada, other than it doesn't seem to have a culture distinct from our own and it has a nasty climate, but I'm sure you can find some canadophile to pick apart your predictions about our northern neighbors.  Seems that you should color the western provinces (except BC) the same as wyoming and idaho, given recent trends.  The same sorts of rugged individualist small government gun nuts who move to the rockies in this country seem to be attracted to the western extremities of the northern great plains in Canada.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2004, 01:08:26 PM »

I like how Polk ran for two terms. Polk is one of the 5 greatest presidents. I rate him as number 4.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2004, 03:04:21 PM »

Hey Angus, where in Mexico do you go?  I've been to Guatemala and the Yucatan.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2004, 03:50:23 PM »

Hey Angus, where in Mexico do you go?  I've been to Guatemala and the Yucatan.

chiapas is my 'favorite' state.  I scuba dive in Quintana Roo and in BCS regularly.  I have visited 22 of the 31 estados of mexico over the years.  some of them many times.  Panajachel is my favorite town in Guatemala, hands down.  It's like Goa, India, but you're less likely to get busted or get std there.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2004, 04:05:16 PM »

Excellent and interesting work Mr. Vice President, but keep your hands off FINLAND!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2004, 04:19:31 PM »

Excellent and interesting work Mr. Vice President, but keep your hands off FINLAND!

That may be a target of US expanision soon . . . Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies