Kaine vs. Kasich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:05:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kaine vs. Kasich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would win in this matchup?
Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA)

Gov. John Kasich (R-OH)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Kaine vs. Kasich  (Read 2029 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:44:19 PM »

Who would win in this 2016 matchup? Who would lead in opinion polls in the summer? Who would do better in the debates? Discuss with maps.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »

Kasich would trounce Kaine.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

In short, what Maxy said.

Now, Kaine could lead in the summer, similar to how Dukakis did in 1988, but Kasich would ultimately improve his performance as election day neared. I actually feel it is more likely that Kasich could manage to hold a lead for most of 2016. I think the debates would be a mixed bag, since neither Kasich nor Kaine seem particularly electrifying.

This is what I see as being a likely outcome:

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »

Never, I'm not sure where you came up with that.

Anyway, both aren't exactly exciting candidates, so I picked Brian Sandoval as Kasich's running mate, and Kirsten Gillibrand as Kaine's.

That being said, Kaine narrowly wins.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:07:26 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2014, 07:10:20 PM by Never »

Never, I'm not sure where you came up with that.

Anyway, both aren't exactly exciting candidates, so I picked Brian Sandoval as Kasich's running mate, and Kirsten Gillibrand as Kaine's.

That being said, Kaine narrowly wins.

I just see Kaine as a candidate who would fail; there are several Democrats (including the running mate you chose for Kaine) who would do so much better against Kasich on the electoral map. Kaine seems more like Kerry or Dukakis, the kind of candidate who would be easy to define as ineffective. For the record, I don't really like Kaine at all, so that surely colors my perception, but Kasich seems like a superior candidate. I can actually think of a few Republicans who would lose to Kaine, but Kasich isn't one of them.

I also think that Kasich should manage to do fine in the Midwest and Northeast. Considering states like MN/WI/IA/PA/NH gave roughly the same percentage to Obama in 2012 as Nevada, a state you colored Atlas Blue, I could see Kasich winning them, and thus the national election. Perhaps Kaine could hold on in Virginia during a presidential election, but I have some suspicion that he would not.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »

Now, Kaine could lead in the summer, similar to how Dukakis did in 1988, but Kasich would ultimately improve his performance as election day neared. I actually feel it is more likely that Kasich could manage to hold a lead for most of 2016. I think the debates would be a mixed bag, since neither Kasich nor Kaine seem particularly electrifying.

I don't see how Kaine loses PA, MN, MI, IA or WI he'd arguably do better among whites than Obama in those states. I think your underestimating Kaine's abilities as a candidate.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »

I don't see how Kaine loses PA, MN, MI, IA or WI he'd arguably do better among whites than Obama in those states. I think your underestimating Kaine's abilities as a candidate.

I could be underestimating Kaine, but even if he does win (I posted a Kaine ceiling map recently with him winning 300+ EVs), I don't think he will be able to do much better with whites than Obama, because I see him as being uninspiring with all groups. It is also possible that a Republican like Kasich could slightly improve with minorities. The Obama coalition could be difficult for a candidate of Kaine's quality to keep intact.

My map is probably about a 52-53% win for Kasich, something that could happen if the national environment moderately turns against the Democrats in 2016.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »

This is what I was thinking as well, though I do feel that Tim Kaine would end up carrying Virginia, albeit by not a strong margin at all.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »

Probably this, with VA, PA and NH that are very close.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »

A contest between two pols of similar abilities suggests a close race all the way unless one of the nominees has a complete meltdown and the other plays the election close to the vest by taking no high-risk chances.

Kaine at the least should win his own state due to the Favorite Son effect. I see no reason to believe that the Republicans are making inroads into states that they have not won since 1996. I see no reason for them to win either Nevada or New Mexico. 

Kasich does win Ohio due to the Favorite Son effect.

Colorado, Iowa, and New Hampshire will have people biting their nails into the morning.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »

This would be close.

I think Kaine is a slightly superior politician. He has won statewide office three times, winning the bigger races by better margins than Kasich in Ohio in 2010. Republicans need to win Ohio, while Democrats can afford to lose Virginia.

Kaine's weakness is that Democrats have held the White House for the last two terms. As a Senator/ former DNC chair, he can't exactly run as an outsider.

I'd give Kasich the edge due to the tendency of parties to do worse in the third term.

Kasich/ Martinez- 282 Electoral Votes
Kaine/ Klobuchar- 256 Electoral Votes
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »

This would be close.

I think Kaine is a slightly superior politician. He has won statewide office three times, winning the bigger races by better margins than Kasich in Ohio in 2010. Republicans need to win Ohio, while Democrats can afford to lose Virginia.

Kaine's weakness is that Democrats have held the White House for the last two terms. As a Senator/ former DNC chair, he can't exactly run as an outsider.

I'd give Kasich the edge due to the tendency of parties to do worse in the third term.

Explain to me how does Kaine lose Pennsylvania I'd argue he's a much better fit for PA than Obama ever was I'd think he improves among whites there and Eastern PA.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »

This would be close.

Explain to me how does Kaine lose Pennsylvania I'd argue he's a much better fit for PA than Obama ever was I'd think he improves among whites there and Eastern PA.
Kaine's in a worse position than Obama was. He's  a candidate who lacks the advantage of incumbency running to get his party another term in the White House.

I'd also imagine decreased African American turnout without Obama on the ballot. In 2012, African Americans were 13% of the voters (slightly higher than their share of the population) and 93% went for Obama.

Kasich would also have an advantage in Pennsylvania coming from a neighboring state. Even if Kaine's a better fit for PA than Obama, Kasich's a better fit for the state than Romney, McCain or George W Bush.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »

This would be close.

Kaine's in a worse position than Obama was. He's  a candidate who lacks the advantage of incumbency running to get his party another term in the White House.

I'd also imagine decreased African American turnout without Obama on the ballot. In 2012, African Americans were 13% of the voters (slightly higher than their share of the population) and 93% went for Obama.

Kasich would also have an advantage in Pennsylvania coming from a neighboring state. Even if Kaine's a better fit for PA than Obama, Kasich's a better fit for the state than Romney, McCain or George W Bush.

You could say the exact same thing about Clinton yet most people don't have her losing PA. And Kaine could just improve his numbers among whites to make up for lower black turnout.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »

This would be close.

You could say the exact same thing about Clinton yet most people don't have her losing PA. And Kaine could just improve his numbers among whites to make up for lower black turnout.
The point's been made that due to her name recognition, Hillary Clinton is essentially an incumbent.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-is-polling-like-an-incumbent-and-that-could-help-her-in-2016/

Kaine doesn't have the same advantage. He would essentially be a generic Democrat.

As for the suggestion that he could just improve his numbers among whites, I'm sure he wants to do that, but whether he can pull it off is a different story. Politicians can't just improve their numbers among large chunks of the electorate.

Kaine did run about two percent better than Obama in Virginia. However, he was running against an inferior political talent in George Allen and he had recently served as Governor.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 11:00:42 PM »

This would be close.

The point's been made that due to her name recognition, Hillary Clinton is essentially an incumbent.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-is-polling-like-an-incumbent-and-that-could-help-her-in-2016/

Kaine doesn't have the same advantage. He would essentially be a generic Democrat.

As for the suggestion that he could just improve his numbers among whites, I'm sure he wants to do that, but whether he can pull it off is a different story. Politicians can't just improve their numbers among large chunks of the electorate.

Kaine did run about two percent better than Obama in Virginia. However, he was running against an inferior political talent in George Allen and he had recently served as Governor.

It's not like Kasich has stellar name recognition he'd basically be a generic R or worse since he's unlikely to be unscathed form a brutal primary.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »

Doesn't Kaine waffle on abortion? He has some vaguely, not-party line viewpoint on it.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »

Doesn't Kaine waffle on abortion? He has some vaguely, not-party line viewpoint on it.

He's basically on the same page as Joe Biden personally disagrees with abortion but is pro-choice.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »

I think Kaine could do well in Missouri. He was raised there for a while and his roots could do well there.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »

He's basically on the same page as Joe Biden personally disagrees with abortion but is pro-choice.

I mean does anybody not "personally disagree" with abortion?  I feel like everyone agrees it's terrible, some just think it has to be a choice made by the woman.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »

I mean does anybody not "personally disagree" with abortion?  I feel like everyone agrees it's terrible, some just think it has to be a choice made by the woman.

That is in roughly the same position as disliking amputations but occasionally finding them necessary at times.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 08:01:08 PM by MormDem »

Kaine could probably take North Carolina, Kentucky (if Grimes beats McConnell), and Missouri as well as the other states Obama won in 2012.

Kasich is just a little bit too far right, and Kaine takes a lot of Clinton-esque positions as is.

He'd do better among white voters,which is the reason Obama didn't take North Carolina nor Missouri.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »

This would be close.

Neighboring state?

In 2008 Barack Obama of course won Illinois by an overwhelming majority, Iowa and Wisconsin by decisive majorities, barely won Indiana, barely lost Missouri, and lost Kentucky by a huge margin. Arkansas and Tennessee come close to Illinois on their extremes, and Obama lost both handily. Technically, Michigan has a water boundary with Illinois, and Obama won it by a margin in the high teens. 

John McCain won Arizona decisively, won Utah by a huge margin, but lost Colorado (at a point)  decisively and lost California, Nevada, and New Mexico by huge margins.

Bill Clinton never won Mississippi, Oklahoma, or Texas. He should have been a good cultural match for Texas.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »

Both are boring old white men, exactly what we need again Roll Eyes, but I think Kasich would win pretty narrowly, or it would be a tied map.

Colorado, Wisconsin, and Florida would probably be the three closest states, respectively.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »

Kasich would win in a close race, I believe.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies