RIP Robin Williams
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:01:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  RIP Robin Williams
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: RIP Robin Williams  (Read 10167 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »

Right.

Let’s do this. What Dreams May Come was visually and philosophically beautiful and had the same impact on my formative teen years as the Truman Show and Pleasantville did. He stole Good Will Hunting and fully deserved the Oscar. Dead Poets Society has heart more than it had schmaltz ; it really does. There are teachers like that and both the system and parents conspire, even if they do not mean too to snuff out creativity. Jumanji, Aladdin and Mrs Doubtfire were my childhood; there is no question about that. He made Hook, and with Hoffman and the late Hoskins made it a far better movie than people give it credit.

And then there is Toys. I love Toys. I get Toys.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »

The Fisher King, Hook, Insomnia, Dead Poets Society, and a small part in the 1996 Hamlet at the end.

The Fisher King might have been the first "serious" movie that I saw.

This is terrible and when I heard it yesterday I couldn't believe it. Especially suicide. Awful.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »

Meh, RIP......too young.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »

Awakenings and Bicentennial Man are two other movies of his that don't get mentioned a lot. Admittedly they were schmaltz, but schmaltz I enjoyed greatly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »

Very (very) sad, though not really that surprising (unfortunately). RIP.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »

It was just so sad when I got up and started to listen to the radio as usual, and then they brought that he had passed away in the night... He truly was a great actor, I didn't watch many of his films, his great time was before me, but I really loved his performance in Dead Poets Society and especially in Good Will Hunting...
RIP Sad
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »

Rest in Peace. Sad
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »

Damn. I really enjoyed a good deal of his work. What Dreams May Come is a seriously underrated movie.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »

I can't say I'm a huge fan (I don't dislike him, I just haven't seen him on film), but I am in shock none the less. The guy was a legend.

I really can't even imagine what type of films you watch if you've managed to go your entire life so far without watching any of his.
I've seen Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanjii, Hook, Dead Poets Society, and numerous others. I failed to complete my post. What I intended (and thought I did say) is that I have never seen him in a film that I particularly remember enjoying (and I should note that I didn't dislike William's acting or talents as much as the movies), but I certainly don't believe that my own opinion detracts from his incredible career.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »

I can't say I'm a huge fan (I don't dislike him, I just haven't seen him on film), but I am in shock none the less. The guy was a legend.

I really can't even imagine what type of films you watch if you've managed to go your entire life so far without watching any of his.
I've seen Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanjii, Hook, Dead Poets Society, and numerous others. I failed to complete my post. What I intended (and thought I did say) is that I have never seen him in a film that I particularly remember enjoying (and I should note that I didn't dislike William's acting or talents as much as the movies), but I certainly don't believe that my own opinion detracts from his incredible career.

I really can't even imagine what type of films you watch if you've managed to go your entire life so far without enjoying any of his.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »

Such a sad story. Cry May he rest in peace.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »

He was one of those greats, along with Johnny Carson and Bill Murray, who you thought would always be there. I know everyone dies,but I just never thought Robin would.
Bill Murray is still alive.
I'm not saying he's dead, I'm saying he's one of one legends who you can't imagine living in a world without.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »

"I'm sorry to report that comedian Robin Williams has committed suicide, an event of great import and grief to his family. But his sacrifice has been a great boon to the the news cycle and the electoral machinery — thank God that we have a tragedy involving a wealthy white man to drag us away from the depressing news about brown people."

"Boy, I hate to say it, but it sure was nice of Robin Williams to create such a spectacular distraction."

I don't like some people.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »

Wow this is...this is very spot on.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:26 PM »

The worse is than this guy seems to be a old, white biology university teacher in Minnesota.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »

Sigh.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »

Ugh, no it's not, and I wish you wouldn't just agree with an opinion no matter how horrible it is, just because it's somewhat well written (at least in terms of its bluntness or wit).

People are allowed to be shocked and saddened by the death of a wildly popular celebrity, and want to talk about little else over the water cooler.  That doesn't mean they can't also be outraged at whatever latest horribleness just occurred in this sh**tty world we live in.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2014, 12:13:48 AM »

That's absolutely not how I meant for it to come across, so I apologize for that. I agree that the article is ill-timed and too blunt for its own good. However, the article makes a really solid point that, while people are grieving about Robin Williams (which they are perfectly allowed to do) there is still this spike in police-versus-citizen violence going on. As JR said, people are allowed to be upset about both at the same time. The problem is that a lot of people are focusing only on Robin Williams. For the time being, that is appropriate. But it's more of a caricature of society at large. It is sad that we lost such a funny man to such a horrible disease, but it just seems that, in the scheme of things, Robin Williams is just the newest star to burn out. Once his demise has been milked, it's not like the horrible things going on in the world are suddenly going to receive the kind of attention that his death did.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2014, 12:34:09 AM »

Pharyngula has a gift for saying things in the most inflammatory, counterproductive way possible.  So if you want to go hate on him, fine by me.

But...uh... I just noticed that there's been no discussion about the Michael Brown shooting and its aftermath on Atlas far as I can tell (please somebody prove me wrong?).  And there's been not too much about it in the social media circles I see, compared to a lot of other recent tragedies.  Which, come to think of it, is actually kind of f**ked-up.  Don't think it ought to be out of bounds to point that out.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »

But...uh... I just noticed that there's been no discussion about the Michael Brown shooting and its aftermath on Atlas far as I can tell (please somebody prove me wrong?).  And there's been not too much about it in the social media circles I see, compared to a lot of other recent tragedies.  Which, come to think of it, is actually kind of f**ked-up.  Don't think it ought to be out of bounds to point that out.

I only know about it because of Tumblr, so chalk that one up for the SJWs.

But this is essentially the point I was trying to make.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:01 AM »

That's absolutely not how I meant for it to come across, so I apologize for that. I agree that the article is ill-timed and too blunt for its own good. However, the article makes a really solid point that, while people are grieving about Robin Williams (which they are perfectly allowed to do) there is still this spike in police-versus-citizen violence going on. As JR said, people are allowed to be upset about both at the same time. The problem is that a lot of people are focusing only on Robin Williams. For the time being, that is appropriate. But it's more of a caricature of society at large. It is sad that we lost such a funny man to such a horrible disease, but it just seems that, in the scheme of things, Robin Williams is just the newest star to burn out. Once his demise has been milked, it's not like the horrible things going on in the world are suddenly going to receive the kind of attention that his death did.

There's actually been a lot of attention around the latest string of police brutality cases (they're probably the biggest domestic stories right now after Robin Williams' death). Don't let Tumblr get to your head.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »

Apologies for my harshness, R2D2.

But forget some random blogger; if you want to see pure insensitivity, without any kind of legitimate point behind it, please welcome the King of Real-Life Trolls, Mr. Rush Limbaugh:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams-killed-himself-because-of-a-political-leftist-attitude/
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 01:04:09 AM »

Robin Williams killed himself yesterday, and CNN still devoted probably a good quarter of their coverage last night to the Michael Brown shooting.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »

Apologies for my harshness, R2D2.

But forget some random blogger; if you want to see pure insensitivity, without any kind of legitimate point behind it, please welcome the King of Real-Life Trolls, Mr. Rush Limbaugh:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams-killed-himself-because-of-a-political-leftist-attitude/

I saw this and had to get up and walk around so I wouldn't lose my god damn mind
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 01:36:36 AM »

Rush Limbaugh needs a new shtick. Hating on "political leftists" via talk radio is so 1994.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies