TN: 2014 Senatorial Republican Primary Election Result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN: 2014 Senatorial Republican Primary Election Result
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TN: 2014 Senatorial Republican Primary Election Result  (Read 319 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:41 AM »

New Election: 2014 Tennessee Senatorial Republican Primary Election Results

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »

I don't really know Tenn. politics, but I'm surprised to see Shelby go for Alexander and Davidson go for Carr, since I thought the white areas in/near Memphis, were far more conservative than the white areas in/near Nashville.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2014, 07:18:36 PM by Miles »

^ Carr was (is) from Rutherford County. FWIW, Alexander has never lost Shelby County, even in a general election.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »

I don't really know Tenn. politics, but I'm surprised to see Shelby go for Alexander and Davidson go for Carr, since I thought the white areas in/near Memphis, were far more conservative than the white areas in/near Nashville.

In Shelby County, Lamar is our BFF Smiley

Actually there are a couple of reasons --

1) Shelby County's suburbanites tend to be more traditional social conservatives while those in middle TN are more closely aligned the new rage of the tea party.  Mike Huckabee and Right to Life endorsed Lamar.

2) Memphis has a relatively significant Republican population for a major urban city, and these folks are pro-business and a bit more moderate.  I haven't seen precinct results yet, but I'd be surprised if Lamar wasn't racking up high margins in East Memphis.

All that being said, Carr got more votes than I thought he would in Shelby, and his percentage was deflated by Flinn.

In the general election Lamar should do well again in big Shelby.  In 2008 he got nearly a quarter of the African-American vote, and another quarter refused to vote for his opponent over him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies