Job Openings in U.S. Increase to Highest Level Since 2001
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:33:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Job Openings in U.S. Increase to Highest Level Since 2001
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Job Openings in U.S. Increase to Highest Level Since 2001  (Read 3279 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

Job openings rose in June to the highest level in more than 13 years, firming up the U.S. labor market picture for the second half of the year.

The number of unfilled positions climbed by 94,000 to 4.67 million, the most since February 2001, from a revised 4.58 million in May, a report from the Labor Department showed today.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-12/job-openings-in-u-s-rose-by-94-000-to-4-67-million-in-june.html
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

There are a whole lot more people looking to fill those positions than 13 years ago.  Also a lot more of those positions probably require skills and experience that people don't have.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2014, 02:11:32 PM by King »

Companies are going to have to lower their expectations with experience. The workforce is getting younger and transitional.

I'm sure there's plenty of young educated people capable of filling a lot of these jobs with a good month of training, despite their lack of 5-7 years experience.

I blame a lot of our weak labor force participation problems on employers and, more specifically, accounting driven business school mentalities. Efforts to streamline have put unreasonable expectations on HR to find people who don't need to be trained and work for below market value.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »

So that explains why Bushie manages to keep getting hired.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »

Companies are going to have to lower their expectations with experience. The workforce is getting younger and transitional.

I'm sure there's plenty of young educated people capable of filling a lot of these jobs with a good month of training, despite their lack of 5-7 years experience.

I blame a lot of our weak labor force participation problems on employers and, more specifically, accounting driven business school mentalities. Efforts to streamline have put unreasonable expectations on HR to find people who don't need to be trained and work for below market value.

I think there's a lot of truth to that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »

I think there's a lot of truth to that.

Yeah, that's a good point.

I mean, I interned at the Canadian Office of a pretty prominent union last summer. It was a pretty small office, but I knew I was capable of producing better work than at least half the people there. Unfortunately I'd never even be considered for those kinds of jobs because I don't have the proper "experience." Employers need to find a better way to judge the credibility of job candidates. Because they're the ones who suffer for it in the end.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »

As we've transitioned to a fake financialized economy instead of making real goods and services, companies don't need to hire. Even "manufacturing" companies are basically trying to mimic the FIRE sector by "growing" through hollow acquisitions or stock repurchases to artificially boost share price and the equity. And permanent un(der)employment at ever increasingly levels because technology or because inflation are the excuses "both" parties use. The job "openings" are pure kabuki: Hire some HR dolts to create some hoops to show how everyone's "unqualified," thus justifying the 20+% real unemployment that "both" parties have been commissioned to effect.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

As we've transitioned to a fake financialized economy instead of making real goods and services, companies don't need to hire. Even "manufacturing" companies are basically trying to mimic the FIRE sector by "growing" through hollow acquisitions or stock repurchases to artificially boost share price and the equity. And permanent un(der)employment at ever increasingly levels because technology or because inflation are the excuses "both" parties use. The job "openings" are pure kabuki: Hire some HR dolts to create some hoops to show how everyone's "unqualified," thus justifying the 20+% real unemployment that "both" parties have been commissioned to effect.

I've been through job interview processes where they call back and said that they hired no one and other times I have heard of job openings that have been open for over a year. It makes you wonder, right? I'm sure there has been cases where you are being an interviewed by a "friend with benefits" and still not get the job.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »

Not only are there more jobs available since 2001, the better-paying types are all making a comeback as well:

Better-paying jobs stage a comeback

By Ylan Q. Mui
August 17, 2014

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »

Not only are there more jobs available since 2001, the better-paying types are all making a comeback as well:

Better-paying jobs stage a comeback

By Ylan Q. Mui
August 17, 2014

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You think we are on track to being back to where we were in 10 years after the start of the recession?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies