Opinion of Martin Luther
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:00:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Martin Luther
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Opinion of Martin Luther  (Read 5731 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »

Wow, it looks like most people want to blindly follow the Catholic Church. By the way:

Ofc by that criteria a good majority of the people born before the 20th Century (at least those were aware of the existence of Judaism) were anti-Semites.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »

Nah, Hipster Christianity is fine. Also those Protestant black churches that bus their congregation to the polls to re-elect Barack Obama.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »

Definitely not my favorite reformer, but FF if only for what his movement helped inspire.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 11:33:23 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »

Horrible. Protestantism is a plague that must be ruthlessly stomped out.

Veritas!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2014, 05:40:46 PM by Mr. Illini »

HP (Catholic)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »

Now I remember the time I jokingly suggested he become a saint. Can anyone else imagine the uproar against Francis if he decided to do that?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »

The amount of hate from the Catholic chauvinists is a bit amusing, especially considering the sort of Catholicism they favour and the reform Luther promoted. I seriously doubt Snowstalker and Lief are waxing nostalgic for the Latin mass. Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »

Now I remember the time I jokingly suggested he become a saint. Can anyone else imagine the uproar against Francis if he decided to do that?

Tangentially, Thomas More is an Anglican/Episcopal Saint, which is hilarious to me.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2014, 10:58:27 PM by Lt. Governor TJ »

He started off as a legitimate whistle blower and had it stopped there, he'd be a clear FF, but his reforms led as far as rewriting doctrine, which inevitably is done in one's own image. HP.

Although Luther was undoubtedly a nastier person, I have a higher view of him than Calvin because he was less bent on scorching the earth to rid Christianity of Church doctrine.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »

I think it's worth noting most of that really terrible anti-Semitic stuff everyone thinks of in regards to him, which was quite awful even by the standards of his time was written after his major reforms, pretty close to his death, and after he had likely contracted syphilis and sustained brain damage. He was probably literally insane at the time he was writing that stuff. He was probably never the most mentally stable individual to begin with but that stuff was not reflective of him during his important times.

Tangentially, Thomas More is an Anglican/Episcopal Saint, which is hilarious to me.

Do you think you'll actually find any Episcopalians/Anglicans today who would defend Henry VIII?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:18 PM »

The amount of hate from the Catholic chauvinists is a bit amusing, especially considering the sort of Catholicism they favour and the reform Luther promoted. I seriously doubt Snowstalker and Lief are waxing nostalgic for the Latin mass. Tongue

He's a Catholic?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 03:58:39 AM »

While Sainthood may be a little much, I personal think that the Vatican should set up two statues in the Vatican, one of Luther and one of Garibaldi, because those two men did more for Catholism than almost all the Popes together.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 04:06:20 AM »

I think it's worth noting most of that really terrible anti-Semitic stuff everyone thinks of in regards to him, which was quite awful even by the standards of his time was written after his major reforms, pretty close to his death, and after he had likely contracted syphilis and sustained brain damage. He was probably literally insane at the time he was writing that stuff. He was probably never the most mentally stable individual to begin with but that stuff was not reflective of him during his important times.

Do you think you'll actually find any Episcopalians/Anglicans today who would defend Henry VIII?

BRTD stop defend him. Luther was not turned anti-semitic by brain damage or syphilis (where did you hear him get that?), it was a natural evolution of his religious views, where he turned less and less tolerant of other greeds as he grew older (with the exception of the Hussites).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 04:37:04 AM »

Not as good as Martin Luther King Jr., that's for sure.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »

He's a Catholic?

No but he's a Catholic chauvinist.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »

Horrible. Protestantism is a plague that must be ruthlessly stomped out.

Obviously this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »

Yes? I don't know? I've never really asked one.

I think it's funny that I guy who literally burned early Anglicans at the stake and never repented is now an Anglican saint, that's all.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »

Yes? I don't know? I've never really asked one.

Henry VIII is a horrific sinner whose sins God used to inaugurate an institution that eventually became far, far better than any other aspect of his legacy, but only after generations of further sin and turmoil.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »

The distinction are that modern Episcopalians/Anglicans have very little in common with the Anglican Church Henry established. It's why they are not willing to defend Henry, while Lutherans and Calvinist are willing to defend their founders, simply because of much of their theology build on the writing of their founders, of course it also help that neither was as obvious horrible people as Henry were.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »

And in any case it isn't as though Henry VIII was a major influence on the theology of the CofE...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »