St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:49:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.)  (Read 45690 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »

A Ferguson cop does his very best to restore peace and civility to the situation.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2014, 01:12:32 AM »

God bless our boys in blue.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2014, 04:04:22 AM »

There's a video of the Powell shooting on Youtube. I'm not going to link to it but it's there. Having seen it, I can safely say that those police were guilty of murder.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2014, 04:19:05 AM »

This was Lieutenant Ray Albers from the St. Ann Police Department, who has now been suspended for his behavior:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2014/08/20/cop-ferguson-protesters-will-ing-kill-you-yourself/2udTSNAO21AiVgIGmEaCkL/story.html

Of course, he was only suspended, because someone happened to film the incident and published it on the Web. Makes one think how often such stuff simply goes unnoticed/unpunished...

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2014, 05:06:57 AM »

I think this could turn into a revolt soon.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #330 on: August 21, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »

Can the fycking Feds just arrest every cop in Ferguson?  Please.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #331 on: August 21, 2014, 09:05:49 AM »

God, I hate cops, and I never even do anything wrong.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #332 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »

This is a national problem but it is definitely worse in places. What is wrong with cops in places like St. Louis?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #333 on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »

There's a video of the Powell shooting on Youtube. I'm not going to link to it but it's there. Having seen it, I can safely say that those police were guilty of murder.

Antonio French said that the cop was justified in shooting Powell. Which, looking at the video, is clearly not correct. Another thing that we're not talking about here is why none of these cops are using their tasers? Do they even have tasers? At least in Ferguson?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #334 on: August 21, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »

Last page dead0man said there are millions of youtube videos of people being entirely unaffected by tasers, so there you go.

[/sarcasm]
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #335 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

Antonio French said that the cop was justified in shooting Powell. Which, looking at the video, is clearly not correct. Another thing that we're not talking about here is why none of these cops are using their tasers? Do they even have tasers? At least in Ferguson?

These chicka cops are hauling away a holocaust survivor who is over 90 years old.....looks like they have tasers though

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #336 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »

The guy who videotaped those officers murdering Powell actually mentioned that, IIRC.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »

I guess I understand shooting someone who has a gun. There's not a whole lot you can do in that situation. But shooting someone without a gun should almost always be murder, IMO. There is absolutely no reason that you have to fill a guy carrying a knife with ten bullets. Police officers around the world manage to non-fatally deal with criminals every day. The two police officers in the Kajieme Powell used three times as many bullets to "neutralize" his threat as the entire British police force discharged in the entire year of 2013! Why are they able to deal with people wielding knives without killing them and we are not?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

everything is terrible
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »

I guess I understand shooting someone who has a gun. There's not a whole lot you can do in that situation. But shooting someone without a gun should almost always be murder, IMO. There is absolutely no reason that you have to fill a guy carrying a knife with ten bullets. Police officers around the world manage to non-fatally deal with criminals every day. The two police officers in the Kajieme Powell used three times as many bullets to "neutralize" his threat as the entire British police force discharged in the entire year of 2013! Why are they able to deal with people wielding knives without killing them and we are not?
US cops are trained to kill, not wound.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2014, 03:08:11 PM »

This is awful.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2014, 03:28:09 PM by Joe Republic »

Notice how the number of whiteys donors to the Darren Wilson fund is about half as many as the donors to the Michael Brown fund.

(A perfect demonstration of the oligarchic style of GOP vs Democratic fundraising, in fact.  I always love that the fundraising emails I get from Democrats usually ask for $3, $5, or 'whatever you can afford', compared to the starting amount of $25 'expected donation' from the GOP.)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »

Notice how the number of whiteys donors to the Darren Wilson fund is about half as many as the donors to the Michael Brown fund.

(A perfect demonstration of the oligarchic style of GOP vs Democratic fundraising, in fact.  I always love that the fundraising emails I get from Democrats usually ask for $3, $5, or 'whatever you can afford', compared to the starting amount of $25 'expected donation' from the GOP.)

Although, if we look more closely at the figures, it can be seen that, since the Michael Brown fund had a four day head start on the Darren Wilson fund, in fact, it seems as if the latter has actually received more donors, proportionally, in its first three days, than the Michael Brown fund did. Indeed, if we extrapolate these figures, assuming no change in the rate of new donors, it looks as if the Darren Wilson fund will have about 6,000 donors after a week, which would leave it well ahead of where the Michael Brown fund had been. No matter, both families must be positively licking their chops at the thought of all the suckers giving them money.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »

Although, if we look more closely at the figures, it can be seen that, since the Michael Brown fund had a four day head start on the Darren Wilson fund, in fact, it seems as if the latter has actually received more donors, proportionally, in its first three days, than the Michael Brown fund did. Indeed, if we extrapolate these figures, assuming no change in the rate of new donors, it looks as if the Darren Wilson fund will have about 6,000 donors after a week, which would leave it well ahead of where the Michael Brown fund had been. No matter, both families must be positively licking their chops at the thought of all the suckers giving them money.

Yes, and the same extrapolation would put the teabaggers' donation total at over $260k.  Again, poor black people can never compete with rich white people.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »

Yep. A pretty big deal, one would think.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-police-admit-accidentally-killing-tosh-0-production-assistant/

One of the production assistants for Tosh.0 was accidentally shot dead by the LAPD after being confused for the suspect of a stabbing rather than another victim.  Of course, this victim was white, so an official apology from the police was quickly released.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »

The polling is surprisingly less bad than you'd think on this story.  It's kind of sad that "less bad than you'd think" means "white people claim to not know whether gunning an unarmed man down is a bad thing", but, well, there you have it: we're at least not generally saying that the victim deserved it like we do in a lot of these cases.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-police-admit-accidentally-killing-tosh-0-production-assistant/

One of the production assistants for Tosh.0 was accidentally shot dead by the LAPD after being confused for the suspect of a stabbing rather than another victim.  Of course, this victim was white, so an official apology from the police was quickly released.

"Sorry we killed the wrong kind of person"
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »

The polling is surprisingly less bad than you'd think on this story.  It's kind of sad that "less bad than you'd think" means "white people claim to not know whether gunning an unarmed man down is a bad thing", but, well, there you have it: we're at least not generally saying that the victim deserved it like we do in a lot of these cases.

That's worse than I thought. 67% of white people think protesters went too far while only 27% of them think police went too far. There's even 15% of the total respondents that think police didn't go far enough...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:10 AM »

"If that’s not fanning the political flames, I don’t know what is," the Missouri Republican Party executive director Matt Wills told Breitbart News. "I think it’s not only disgusting but completely inappropriate."

... Now what exactly could have disgusted this GOP director so much?  Why, voter registration drives among the black community in Ferguson, of course.  What else could piss off a Republican more than encouraging a black majority to vote out the white minority government?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies