Cuomo v. Teachout
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo v. Teachout
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25
Author Topic: Cuomo v. Teachout  (Read 38218 times)
xavier110
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:40 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2014, 09:20:18 PM by xavier110 »

If she couldn't get the Working Families Party endorsement, why would she win the less-liberal Democratic primary?

Internet "progressives" are convinced that because they think Cuomo is a DINO and a "Republican", all Democrats must hate him.  So says the echo chamber.  Yet independent polling shows Cuomo has wide support among Democrats.  And which type of Democrats like him the most?  Self-described Liberal Democrats, according to the polls.

In many respects, this is no different from the very conservative voters who still opt for Vitter or DesJardins who pay mere lip service to the values they claim to stand for... it's the phenomenon of partisanship at work.

What I find weird, though, is that Cuomo's key is boosting turnout. The more publicized the battle, the more Dems will come vote for him. A low turnout affair only aids the pissed off Teachout slice... so...
Panda Express

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »

If Andrew Cuomo loses the primary, does he still appear on the ballot on the WFP line?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »

In many respects, this is no different from the very conservative voters who still opt for Vitter or DesJardins... it's the phenomenon of partisanship at work.

What I find weird, though, is that Cuomo's key is boosting turnout. The more publicized the battle, the more Dems will come vote for him. A low turnout affair only aids the pissed off Teachout slice... so...

Low turnout doesn't necessarily help Teachout.  Low turnout in NY primaries usually means that only the party bosses and their underlings are voting, which helps the person actually nominated by the party - Cuomo.

If Andrew Cuomo loses the primary, does he still appear on the ballot on the WFP line?

Unless he turns it down. 
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:25 PM »

If she couldn't get the Working Families Party endorsement, why would she win the less-liberal Democratic primary?

Because very few people are actually registered WFP. Most of the WFP Committee Members are aligned with WFP due to association with a certain interest group, usually a union. There was pressure from individual unions to back Cuomo. And NY's progressive base still lies in the Democratic Party…WFP is instrumental in Democratic primaries through endorsements and field organizing, but not necessarily in determining the pulse of the Democratic wing of the party.

And I don't love Cuomo but I do not feel that Zephyr Teachout has earned the governorship at all. There are many talented individuals in New York who could have given Cuomo a serious, sincere, and substantive challenge.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 01:55:05 AM »

Guys, obviously Teachout is not going to win. I don't think anyone thinks she's going to win. It's just about sending a message and making sure that Cuomo gets to claim as small a mandate as possible.
TTS1996
Rookie
Australia
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2014, 02:08:57 PM by TTS1996 »

How can anyone take someone called Zephyr Rain Teachout seriously?

How can anyone take someone called TTS1996 seriously? What are you, a calculator?
What the f u u ck are you on about? My name isn't actually TTS1996, any more than yours is actually Panda Express, but hers is apparently Zephyr Rain Teachout, which is NOT A REAL NAME.
KCDem

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 02:30:57 PM »

How can anyone take someone called TTS1996 seriously? What are you, a calculator?
What the f u u ck are you on about? My name isn't actually TTS1996, any more than yours is actually Panda Express, but hers is apparently Zephyr Rain Teachout, which is NOT A REAL NAME.

Defensive much, bro?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »

This isn't Iceland. People can be named whatever they damn well want.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »

Hearing rumblings that NYT may endorse her.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »

That would be an incredible boost to her campaign, and a shocking one.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »

Genuine question- when was the last time a newspaper endorsement dramatically changed the course of an election?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 09:44:50 PM »

Genuine question- when was the last time a newspaper endorsement dramatically changed the course of an election?

The Washington Post endorsement was a big part of Craig Deeds primary victory in 2009, IIRC
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »

Well, not dramatically, but it's possible that the NY Times endorsement made the difference when Ned Lamont primaried Joe Lieberman.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »

Well, not dramatically, but it's possible that the NY Times endorsement made the difference when Ned Lamont primaried Joe Lieberman.

Statewide, you are right, it won't affect the race. But there are certain communities that are known as the NYT Editorial areas, where the NYT nod almost always helps Council candidates etc clinch the nominations. The Upper West Side (especially), Upper East Side, Park Slope, Downtown Brooklyn, etc, have huge turnout #s even in uncompetitive, and the NYT endorsement could earn Teachout thousands of votes in these high turnout communities. You have to keep in mind that though Cuomo has a huge war-chest, his support among prime Democrats is tepid, and many don't even realize there is a primary.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »

Statewide, you are right, it won't affect the race. But there are certain communities that are known as the NYT Editorial areas, where the NYT nod almost always helps Council candidates etc clinch the nominations. The Upper West Side (especially), Upper East Side, Park Slope, Downtown Brooklyn, etc, have huge turnout #s even in uncompetitive, and the NYT endorsement could earn Teachout thousands of votes in these high turnout communities. You have to keep in mind that though Cuomo has a huge war-chest, his support among prime Democrats is tepid, and many don't even realize there is a primary.

The NYT endorsement could have particular effect in this race, even beyond the normal bump in prestige, name recognition, legitimacy, and aid in recruiting volunteers and donors. A lot of Democrats upset with Cuomo may have some very serious (and frankly legitimate) concerns about casting a protest vote for someone named "Zephyr Rain Teachout", perceiving them to be another "Rent's Too Damn High" kook. The NYT blessing would do much to give her much-needed credibility.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

Yeah a NYT endorsement will singlehandedly bring Teachout into the mainstream.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »

The most interesting (and highly possible) prospect sans a Zephyr surge through MSM endorsements is Cuomo winning but Hochul, who has no base among Dem primary voters, losing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »

I got my schedule for classes next semester and I'm actually taking a Copyright class with Wu. I hope he doesn't cancel it if he beats Hochul.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »

So is this a serious campaign now?

Only in the eyes of some liberals on this forum.

And only the second largest public employee union in the state.

http://www.thenation.com/article/181289/how-zephyr-teachout-became-contender#

I am voting for Cuomo but I really think Zephyr could alter the landscape, especially if she wins counties.

Here's the thing….
Counties upstate... with conservative Democrats who don't pay much attention to "downstate" politics may vote against Cuomo in the primary because they don't support Cuomo's gun policies etc. See Gillibrand and Gail Goode, a no-name challenger who wound up doing better upstate than downstate despite her running to the left of Gillibrand.

Counties downstate… NYC, Long Island, Hudson Suburbs (Westchester, Rockland etc) will anchor Cuomo in his re-election, but, many of these Working Families Party-esque voters will support Teachout, and now she has inroads with Diane Ravitch, PCCC, and the Public Employees Federation.

The danger, as I said before, also lies with Hochul. She is meeting largely with elected officials (not much with voters), and Wu may earn support from communities that would be glad to see the first ever Asian-American statewide official in NY.

why are you voting for Cuomo he's awful?

with that out of the way, I think it's an awesome stick in the eye to Cuomo that NOW NY endorsed Teachout after he did his pathetic astroturf "Women's Equality Party" ballot line that Chris Quinn was involved in.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »

UPDATE:

New York State NOW (National Organization of Women) just backed Teachout. She continues to rack in establishment support…

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/219249/state-now-chapter-endorses-teachout/
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »

UPDATE:

New York State NOW (National Organization of Women) just backed Teachout. She continues to rack in establishment support…

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/219249/state-now-chapter-endorses-teachout/

Teachoutmentum!
xavier110
United States
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »

And the NYT continues its Teachout coverage!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/nyregion/cuomo-opponent-unbowed-by-underdog-status.html?referrer=&_r=0
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 02:07:55 AM »

My prediction:

82% Cuomo
17% Teachout
  1% Credico
NickCT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »

No one (well, a handful) will say "I'm voting for Teachout because NYT endorsed her" BUT a NYT endorsement would generate incredible coverage for Teachout's campaign (probably even nationally, to be honest) and that would aid her a great deal.  It would be a game changer that could make the race a lot closer than anyone thought it would get.  I don't see her getting their endorsement, though, but maybe I'm wrong.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »

My prediction:
68% Cuomo
30% Teachout
2% Credico