Cuomo v. Teachout
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:14:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo v. Teachout
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Author Topic: Cuomo v. Teachout  (Read 38526 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2014, 05:25:22 AM »

How many of the registered NY Democrats live in NYC?

Who knows, maybe I can get a few people to vote for her.

You support a Teachout win in order to let Astorino have a chance to pull an upset? Tongue

I know it's a bit hypocritical since I've attacked the Tea Party in the past for doing similar things but I would be completely ok primarying Cuomo despite the fact that it would give a good chance for the Republican to win if it would have been a safe seat otherwise.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2014, 06:12:45 AM »

Just saw a Cuomo primary ad (!) on CBS2 New York's live stream.

Lulz.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2014, 07:59:53 AM »

I may be wrong,
But calling Clinton and De Blasio corrupt because they endorsed Cuomo is really exaggerated.
I mean, the word "coward" would be more appropriate. Cuomo has a big corrupt machine that could spend heavily againt Clinton and De Blasio if they wanted.  If I were a politician, I wouldn't go publicly against "Master corrupt".

I don't blame them.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »

How Cuomo's father managed to lose 20 years ago???
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »

George Pataki promised to execute more people and lower taxes.

New York isn't one the least crazy states regarding death penalty?

What is the problem with this society?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »

George Pataki promised that he'd start executing people again, and Cuomo was running for a fourth term.

Plus, it was 1994.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »

I don't think anyone, in 2016, will really pounce on Hillary for not supporting somewhat of a fringe candidate who happened to get lucky and capitalized (at least in terms of endorsements, we'll see what happens on Tuesday) on a lot of lingering anti-Cuomo anger---and renewed anger about Kathy Hochul.

Will Hillary realistically move a lot of votes for Cuomo? Probably not but she will bring out some.

The real 9/9 path to votes is who is brought out by their respective union, elected official, newspaper, or an a pro-Cuomo or anti-Cuomo disposition.

In other words, the tepid voter will not show up to vote on 9/9 UNLESS: the union encouraged them to come out, an elected official does, a newspaper makes a compelling point, AND, and perhaps most likely, you are either anti-Cuomo or pro-Cuomo.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »

Cuomo is being hit hard by the media for the video where he completely blows Teachout off.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

If Teachout is elected how does she get treated by the wacky State Senate?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #209 on: September 07, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »

George Pataki promised that he'd start executing people again, and Cuomo was running for a fourth term.

and 1994 was 1994. it was still an upset.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »

If Teachout is elected how does she get treated by the wacky State Senate?

not well.  Silver would also view her as his inferior.  but this is all fantasy.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »

If Cuomo doesn't do well…let's say he gets only 60% of vote or so to Teachout's 35%…there will be a very strong examination as to how Cuomo did in areas with competitive state legislative primaries.

For example, if Cuomo got about 60% of the vote in these districts as well, there will be an examination as to whether or not these areas has high influence on the race overall due to the nature of the competitiveness of down-ballot races. PERHAPS, this will lead NYS Dems who want to preserve Cuomo-esque political establishments to ENCOURAGE more primaries outside of NYC, particularly in the wealthier, more conservative suburbs.

If there were Democratic primaries on Long Island or in Westchester, Cuomo could be reaching out to a potentially active base of Democrats there. "Kathleen Rice voters," as opposed to those who backed Schneiderman in 2010 for AG. I am going to gander that Nassau and Suffolk produce some of the lowest voter turnouts across the state…there are no major primaries on Long Island (except for some judge races and one Assembly race that isn't really a race).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2014, 03:15:50 PM »

I have to wonder how things would be going if it was a Wu/Teachout ticket - Wu for Governor, and Teachout for Lieutenant Governor.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »

I have to wonder how things would be going if it was a Wu/Teachout ticket - Wu for Governor, and Teachout for Lieutenant Governor.

Teachout is considerably more charismatic and better at retail politicking... so I think Wu would be performing worse
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »

Teachout is considerably more charismatic and better at retail politicking... so I think Wu would be performing worse

Wu is only doing better than Teachout because Hochul is more egregious to Dem voters than Cuomo is, shocking as that may be.
NHLiberal

« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »

Wu is only doing better than Teachout because Hochul is more egregious to Dem voters than Cuomo is, shocking as that may be.

Exactly. That, and because LG is a significantly less important office, so voters are much more willing to vote in someone they perceive as inexperienced. These are the two major reasons that NYT endorsed Wu but not Teachout, and the reason they would have endorsed Teachout but not Wu if the ticket was reversed (in other words, it wasn't a diss to Teachout).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »

You'd think there would have been some kind of public poll done by now.

We really don't even know for sure that Wu is doing better than Teachout (although I assume he is as well because of the robocalls, etc.).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »

Yeah, the lack of polls is really annoying.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »

I was considering changing my registration to Dem this cycle just so I can vote for Cuomo over Teachout.  More importantly since this one is more up in the air, I really wanted to vote for Kathy Hochul over Tim Wu.  Too late to do this.   Hopefully Kathy Hochul wins.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »

Cuomo/Hochul is spending a tremendous amount of money on air and have a very large GOTV operation while Teachout/Wu have spent virtually nothing I would be shocked to see either get more than 20% of the vote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »

Cuomo/Hochul is spending a tremendous amount of money on air and have a very large GOTV operation while Teachout/Wu have spent virtually nothing I would be shocked to see either get more than 20% of the vote.

Gail Goode got even less attention than Teachout is, and she got 25% of the vote against Kirsten Gillibrand. Teachout is definitely going to do better than that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

Get ready to be shocked in a big way.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »

Cuomo is now explicitly attacking Wu at campaign events.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonswaine/status/508688588318715905
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »

Tim Wu has about as much government experience as Hochul does, so that attack doesn't even make sense?

Even when the horrible ones win Tuesday night, being able to witness this nonsensical desperate kitchen sink negative strategy from Cuomo has been a real delight, and in some sense, a victory itself.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »

Yeah, being a banker and a congresswoman for two years, on the other hand, is plenty of experience.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies