Cuomo v. Teachout
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo v. Teachout
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: Cuomo v. Teachout  (Read 38419 times)
xavier110
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »

How much was Teachout's victory in Romney counties due to Republicans trying to unseat Cuomo?

It's a closed primary...
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #476 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »

It's too bad.  I guess people in the Bronx just believe that they need their welfare cut so those millionaires in the Hampty Hamps can get their property taxes cut.  But, those nice rich liberals don't even want the tax cuts, they want to help the poor folks.  It's like an O. Henry story.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #477 on: September 10, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »

She almost hit 40% - to all the people who scoffed earlier, ha.

34.3% to be more precise (with 99% reporting). Hard to round that up to 40%, though, of course, still respectable. Cuomo is at 62.2% and Credico at 3.6%. Hochul is just a whisker below 60%.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #478 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »

How much was Teachout's victory in Romney counties due to Republicans trying to unseat Cuomo?

It's a closed primary...

Then that confuses me as to how she did so much better upstate than in the city, unless it has to do with anti-NYC sentiment (e.g. Tio Hardiman doing so well downstate vs Quinn).
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #479 on: September 10, 2014, 12:44:15 PM »

It's a closed primary...

Then that confuses me as to how she did so much better upstate than in the city, unless it has to do with anti-NYC sentiment (e.g. Tio Hardiman doing so well downstate vs Quinn).

Lets be clear, the total turnout in upstate NY where she did well was very low.  So it was more of a story of a lack of a Dem/Cuomo political machine there to turn out Cuomo voters.  In places where such a machine is in place Cuomo steamrolled Teachout.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #480 on: September 10, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »

It's a closed primary...

A combination of what jaichind just said and the fracking issue, for the most part.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #481 on: September 10, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/cuomos-embarrassment
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #482 on: September 10, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »

*sigh* I had been so happy when de Blasio won; I'd been hoping he won way back when Anthony Weiner and Christine Quinn were supposed to be locks to win Sad  What a disappointment!  Sadly, he'll probably be New York's next Senator or Governor Sad  His kind always seem to win; things like this really make it hard not to just sink into apathy.  Just more proof that you never know with these guys until they inevitably let you down Sad
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #483 on: September 10, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »

So imagine if before 2008 someone had said that in the next couple cycles an incumbent Democratic Governor of New York would get a primary challenge from the left, and the challenger would win a bunch of rural counties but the incumbent would get over 60% due to strength in NYC. Yeah unbelievable things do happen.

Still I'm happy with Teachout's result. At the very least it should put a final nail in the coffin of any Cuomo presidential ambitions especially since it served to highlight his right wing record.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #484 on: September 10, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »

Watching white liberal reformists realise they're not the base of the Democratic Party is always a fun time.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »

Watching white liberal reformists realise they're not the base of the Democratic Party is always a fun time.

Oh look, it's Snowstalker.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #486 on: September 10, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

It's worth noting that Teachout did carry plenty of the counties that Obama carried.

Columbia, Ulster, Albany, Tompkins, etc. are anything but right-wing hotbeds.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #487 on: September 10, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

Reminds me of the Jim Webb-Harris Miller primary in 2006.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #488 on: September 10, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »

I told y'all she would win counties upstate! I didn't expect half of the state, but yeah. She almost hit 40% - to all the people who scoffed earlier, ha.

Anyway, it looks like she won a mix of anti-fracking/Common Core voters as well as educated (wealthy) white liberals. For example, her surprisingly close showing in Suffolk County suggests that she won the rich enclaves/towns of Southampton and East Hampton. Minority communities killed her.

She did exactly as I thought basically, good run, if only she had the WFP endorsement/more time and she might have been able to win the thing, Cuomo didn't run a lights out campaign by any means.

I hope Hawkins can top 20% now and that the Teachout people get behind him big time
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »

*sigh* I had been so happy when de Blasio won; I'd been hoping he won way back when Anthony Weiner and Christine Quinn were supposed to be locks to win Sad  What a disappointment!  Sadly, he'll probably be New York's next Senator or Governor Sad  His kind always seem to win; things like this really make it hard not to just sink into apathy.  Just more proof that you never know with these guys until they inevitably let you down Sad

I agree with you, De Blasio has higher aspirations so he's selling out to get ahead, it's disappointing because I was a huge BDB guy like you.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

I'm kind of surprised everyone thinks that NYC Dems are all progressives rather than minorities and the working class.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #491 on: September 10, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »

I'm kind of surprised everyone thinks that NYC Dems are all progressives rather than minorities and the working class.

Who says minorities can't be progressives?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #492 on: September 10, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »

de Blasio has been a Dem insider for a few decades now.  the lefty-insurgent thing was a marketing tool as the opening was to run to the left of Quinn.  this should've been obvious to anybody paying attention.  it's amazing how teary-eyed progressive Dems can fall victim to the same hoax again and again.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #493 on: September 10, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »

de Blasio has been a Dem insider for a few decades now.  the lefty-insurgent thing was a marketing tool as the opening was to run to the left of Quinn.  this should've been obvious to anybody paying attention.  it's amazing how teary-eyed progressive Dems can fall victim to the same hoax again and again.

Why don't you capitalize the beginnings of your sentences?  Clearly you know the shift key exists, yet you seem unwilling to use it when starting a new sentence.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #494 on: September 10, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »

Why don't you capitalize the beginnings of your sentences?  Clearly you know the shift key exists, yet you seem unwilling to use it when starting a new sentence.

it shouldn't be a barrier to communication. beyond that, there's no such thing as a "correct" way to use language.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »

Who says minorities can't be progressives?

It's an interesting question, can you win working class minority NYC by running as a progressive?  Isn't that what Bill De Blasio appeared to do when he won black neighborhoods running against Thompson in the mayoral primary?  I would agree that De Blasio is basically the same as any NYC pol, but he definitely seemed to run on left-leaning issues.  On the other hand, the more conservative candidate Thompson tended to win the election districts with black housing projects if you look closely. 

I think it's just the case that many minority areas in NYC still run based on machine politics.  You need to pay the right people and have the connections.  Plus, it's just usually the case based on pure racial politics that the black candidate gets the black votes and the Asian candidate gets the Asian votes, etc.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »

also well-to-do white Bloomberg-Giuliani voters who pat themselves on the back for supporting gay marriage and legal abortion.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »

it shouldn't be a barrier to communication. beyond that, there's no such thing as a "correct" way to use language.

y'oure ri.gHt

nO cor re c~t way    to us;e lang'ua'g:e
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »

The Cuomo-Hochul spread is a lot smaller than I thought.  The Cuomo machine did its job in getting the machine vote to Hochul well.

And whatever it did not, she did a good job compensating in the Upstate. She is a solid politician, always liked her.

My thoughts exactly.  I really like Hochul.  I considered switching my registration on temp basis to Dem just to vote for her in the primary as I will still vote for the GOP ticket in the general election.  I also wanted to vote to Cuomo in the Dem primary in such a scenario as I have a high level of respect for him although I will not vote for him in the general.

$hitiest. Endorsement. Evah.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »

Kind of irrelevant at this point, but how do you pronounce Teachout? And what is the language/background of that last name?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies