Cuomo v. Teachout
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:44:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo v. Teachout
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25
Author Topic: Cuomo v. Teachout  (Read 38575 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: October 19, 2014, 01:34:24 AM »
« edited: October 20, 2014, 12:47:37 AM by Eraserhead »

I went to a Nader rally for Jonathan Tasini at a bar one night. Got a nice buzz on while listening to him.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #551 on: October 20, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »

The one and only televised debate will be on PBS this Wednesday the 22nd, featuring Cuomo, Astorino, Hawkins and the libertarian. Hopefully Howie gives Cuomo a good thrashing.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #552 on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »

My various trips around Westchester county where I plus other parts of NY state last couple of months live gives me the view that this election for Astorino is more about him building up his brand, especially in Westchester.  This seems to make sense as there is no chance that Astorino could win anyway.  While there is no sign of the Astorino campaign outside of Westchester county, the Astorino campaign is quite significant in Westchester, especially in places around where I live, Scarsdale and surrounding townships.  I go jogging after work and it takes me to all sort of places in Scarsdale as well as surrounding townships.  I can say for sure that the Astorino campaign is much more active than Paladino campaign in 2010 in my part of Westchester.   The level of support seems to be relatively high in surrounding townships of Scarsale and is related to household income.  In Scarsdale itself, the $200K-$500K household income areas has a significant where household income have a significant Astorino presence.  The $500K+ household income areas of Scarsdale are uaually non-political and that is no different this year.  In the surrounding townships of Scarsdale where household income are around $150K-$300K the level of support for Astorino seems even higher.  In other parts of Westchseter  where I have visited last couple of months I see the same pattern.  Outside of Westchester I do not see much of the Astorino campaign regardless of the what the household income are.  This has me convinced that for Astorino it is more about the Westchester election of 2017 and him rising in the ranks of the GOP in NY so he has a shot at higher office in case the GOP fortunes in NY state revives.   
KCDem

« Reply #553 on: October 20, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »

My various trips around Westchester county where I plus other parts of NY state last couple of months live gives me the view that this election for Astorino is more about him building up his brand, especially in Westchester.  This seems to make sense as there is no chance that Astorino could win anyway.  While there is no sign of the Astorino campaign outside of Westchester county, the Astorino campaign is quite significant in Westchester, especially in places around where I live, Scarsdale and surrounding townships.  I go jogging after work and it takes me to all sort of places in Scarsdale as well as surrounding townships.  I can say for sure that the Astorino campaign is much more active than Paladino campaign in 2010 in my part of Westchester.   The level of support seems to be relatively high in surrounding townships of Scarsale and is related to household income.  In Scarsdale itself, the $200K-$500K household income areas has a significant where household income have a significant Astorino presence.  The $500K+ household income areas of Scarsdale are uaually non-political and that is no different this year.  In the surrounding townships of Scarsdale where household income are around $150K-$300K the level of support for Astorino seems even higher.  In other parts of Westchseter  where I have visited last couple of months I see the same pattern.  Outside of Westchester I do not see much of the Astorino campaign regardless of the what the household income are.  This has me convinced that for Astorino it is more about the Westchester election of 2017 and him rising in the ranks of the GOP in NY so he has a shot at higher office in case the GOP fortunes in NY state revives.   

Lawn signs don't vote and Astorino (and any other Republican) has no future statewide in New York politics.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2014, 04:19:50 PM »

Lawn signs don't vote and Astorino (and any other Republican) has no future statewide in New York politics.

Lets be clear.  I am not making any predictions on how many votes Astorino wil get in Westchester either in absolute or relative terms.  I am merely making a comment on what I perceive how Astorino  is investing his resources and his motivations might be behind such a distribution of investments.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #555 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

NYT endorses Cuomo, unsurprisingly

But has some kind words for the People's Champion:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #556 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Hawkins will be holding a campaign rally with Ralph Nader in NYC next weekend!

Very excited to attend! With Cuomo's campaign collapsing into farce, double digits is looking more and more attainable!

Yuck. This makes me consider switching my endorsement. Nader has caused more damage to this country than Cuomo ever will. Too bad Rent Is Too Damn High isn't an option.

That's why I never supported Hawkins. I'd vote for another joke party if I lived in NY.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #557 on: October 20, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »

I went to a Nader rally for Jonathan Tasini at a bar one night. Got a nice buzz on while listening to him.

Sounds better than the Nader/Hawkins event that I attended at a UU church in Albany a few weeks ago. It featured a disquieting appearance by the Green congressional candidate for NY-21, who thinks that the government did 9/11. Sort of nipped any enthusiasm that I had for Hawkins' candidacy.

Are you surprised? The Green Party is an utterly terrible organization which should be obvious to anyone who's paid any attention to them or their candidates.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #558 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »

Very excited to attend! With Cuomo's campaign collapsing into farce, double digits is looking more and more attainable!

Yuck. This makes me consider switching my endorsement. Nader has caused more damage to this country than Cuomo ever will. Too bad Rent Is Too Damn High isn't an option.

That's why I never supported Hawkins. I'd vote for another joke party if I lived in NY.

Unfortunately the only other options are Astorino and a libertarian. I guess it doesn't matter too much anyway since his candidacy is solely to send a message, but Naderites always leave a bad taste in my mouth.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #559 on: October 21, 2014, 12:34:09 AM »

Unfortunately the only other options are Astorino and a libertarian. I guess it doesn't matter too much anyway since his candidacy is solely to send a message, but Naderites always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

There's also a Sapient Party candidate for Governor on the ballot.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #560 on: October 21, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »

Speaking of downballot greenies, should I vote Green or Working Families (i.e. Democrat) for Comptroller? I'm not even entirely sure what the Comptroller's job is. Obviously I'll be voting Hawkins for Governor and Schneiderman is and has been fantastic so I'll be voting WFP for AG.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #561 on: October 21, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »

Speaking of downballot greenies, should I vote Green or Working Families (i.e. Democrat) for Comptroller? I'm not even entirely sure what the Comptroller's job is. Obviously I'll be voting Hawkins for Governor and Schneiderman is and has been fantastic so I'll be voting WFP for AG.

Tom DiNapoli is a good man.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #562 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »

A State Comptroller is basically the head of the state's finances and in charge of overseeing accounting and reporting. Go Democratic/WF.
Recalcuate

« Reply #563 on: October 22, 2014, 01:49:16 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2014, 02:01:50 AM by Recalcuate »

I get the theory why the Republicans wanted to nominate a suburban Republican for the governorship. Suburbs + upstate = a fighting chance to offset the NYC vote. But if you try that strategy stick with it.

Undercutting your own candidate like Ed Mangano did in Nassau by endorsing Cuomo is just plain shameful.

I'd be shocked if Astorino takes Westchester County, at this point.

Cuomo has barely campaigned and barely mentions Astorino by name. The only debate will be in Buffalo and not mano-a-mano. He refused to debate downstate on anything other than radio.

I guess that's the luxury you have when you're up by 20-25. NYers deserve a lot better.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #564 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2014, 11:52:51 AM by bedstuy »

Cuomo's new book is a total flop (despite the New York state Democratic party using their email list to promote it).

In its first week, apparently it has sold 945 copies.  That correlates to #7,680 in Books on Amazon, where out out of 524 Amazon reviews, 493 gave it one star.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »

Cuomo new book is a total flop (despite the New York state Democratic party using their email list to promote it).

In its first week, apparently it has sold 945 copies.  That correlates to #7,680 in Books on Amazon, where out out of 524 Amazon reviews, 493 gave it one star.

Wow, that's embarrassing. LOL
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #566 on: October 22, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »

The only TV debate will be on at 8 PM tonight. You can stream it here:

http://www.13wham.com/news/features/around-the-web/stories/new-york-governor-debate-live-stream-wham.shtml#.VEg5UWnD9Dt

Hopefully Mr. Hawkins takes our Republican governor down a notch or six.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #567 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »

Cuomo on fracking: "I'm not a scientist."

f[inks] off
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #568 on: October 22, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »

f[inks] off

Cuomo has proven to be a more terrible person than I had thought.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: October 22, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »

f[inks] off

So Cuomo is using Republican talking points frequently used for climate change denial now? Wow.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

First he stole their policies, now he steals their talking points!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »

Finally, the one minute long screed on race relations by a fringe libertarian candidate that this state has always wanted.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #572 on: October 22, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »

The Libertarian candidate is pretty hilarious. Seems like a nice guy too.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #573 on: October 22, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »

It's pretty awesome how much Astorino and Cuomo hate each other.
Recalcuate

« Reply #574 on: October 22, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »

It's pretty awesome how much Astorino and Cuomo hate each other.

It would have been much more entertaining for them to go after each other one-on-one without the Libertarian and Green party guys the would have ripped each other to shreds.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies