Cuomo v. Teachout (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:55:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo v. Teachout (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cuomo v. Teachout  (Read 38801 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »

Great news! Hope she pulls at least 35-40% of the vote.

I hope she wins Tongue

Oh, same. At least she'll have Tompkins County. Tongue

Hopefully she does better than Obama 2008.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »

Hearing rumblings that NYT may endorse her.

That would be an incredible boost to her campaign, and a shocking one.

Genuine question- when was the last time a newspaper endorsement dramatically changed the course of an election?

Well, not dramatically, but it's possible that the NY Times endorsement made the difference when Ned Lamont primaried Joe Lieberman.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »

After reading the NYT column, it seems pretty weak. It's basically saying "yes, we want to/should endorse Teachout, but we're not going to because reasons". I guess they don't want to make an enemy of Cuomo, but I think by not explicitly endorsing him they already have.
They may believe that a professor isn't ready to be their Governor.

A constitutional law professor with experience in leadership positions such as head of Internet outreach for the Dean campaign and former national director of the Sunlight Foundation is certainly more qualified than corrupt Coumo to be governor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »

This may actually hurt Teachout. People may see Wu as the more viable of the two and focus on making sure Kathy Hochul doesn't win the primary.

It's not really a slight of Teachout. If the it was Wu/Teachout, they'd have endorsed Teachout and declined to endorse Wu.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:28 AM »

Cuomo's allies have gone berserk attacking Teachout for being "anti-Israel". So what did she say that was anti-Israel? Beats me, but I guess it's in here somewhere:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/09/03/1326734/-How-long-before-one-of-those-newly-armed-teachers-accidentally-fires-a-gun-on-campus?detail=facebook
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »

Hillary Clinton is robocalling for Cuomo/Hochul

I guess she wants to stop New York from electing a female governor over a corrupt male incumbent. It'll be good to remember to bring this up when she or her supporters mention something about the "glass ceiling".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »

Hillary Clinton is robocalling for Cuomo/Hochul

I guess she wants to stop New York from electing a female governor over a corrupt male incumbent. It'll be good to remember to bring this up when she or her supporters mention something about the "glass ceiling".

While I agree that Clinton helping out Cuomo is obviously just blatant opportunism on her part, I think it's kind of silly to allege that this is in anyway hypocritical of her feminist beliefs. Advocating gender equality and supporting more female voices in politics doesn't mean you can't ever support a man running for office against a woman. By that logic if Sarah Palin ran for president in 2012 every feminist should have supported her just because of her gender

But supporting Teachout over Cuomo is obvious thing to do regardless of gender. A lot of Hillary's supporters claim the anti Hillary people are being sexist. Hillary's strongest primary opponents will likely be male, and they will play that card repeatedly. Well, I support the best person regardless of gender, and it's time for a certain woman to break the glass ceiling of the New York governorship.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »

I don't think anyone, in 2016, will really pounce on Hillary for not supporting somewhat of a fringe candidate who happened to get lucky and capitalized (at least in terms of endorsements, we'll see what happens on Tuesday) on a lot of lingering anti-Cuomo anger---and renewed anger about Kathy Hochul.

Will Hillary realistically move a lot of votes for Cuomo? Probably not but she will bring out some.

The real 9/9 path to votes is who is brought out by their respective union, elected official, newspaper, or an a pro-Cuomo or anti-Cuomo disposition.

In other words, the tepid voter will not show up to vote on 9/9 UNLESS: the union encouraged them to come out, an elected official does, a newspaper makes a compelling point, AND, and perhaps most likely, you are either anti-Cuomo or pro-Cuomo.

She robocalled for a corrupt male over a non corrupt female. She believes in the good ol' boys network except when it comes to herself.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 12:21:31 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The map will probably look a lot like a presidential election in NY. Teachout will play the part of the republican and Cuomo the part of the democrat, in that Teachout will carry upstate new york, but Cuomo's downstate margins will be far too big to overcome.

LOL, no. I would expect Teachout's best county to be Tompkins, which is the most Democratic county outside of NYC.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:23:42 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 01:25:17 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

How popular is fracking upstate? Is it resented as big companies trespassing on land or do people hope it'll lower gas prices?

The good thing is this whatever happens, Cuomo's dreams of higher office are effectively crushed Cheesy

Less popular than downstate. Upstaters oppose it 53-39.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2013/11/26/poll-fracking-opposition-increases-new-york/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

Teachout can't concede to Cuomo because he didn't give her his number. What an asshole.

That would require acknowledging her existence, which I doubt is any more likely to happen tomorrow than it was yesterday.

I don't know. He may kind of have to after this.

You think? I can picture Cuomo flipping tables and ordering his lackeys to hit the streets and crack some skulls a lot more easily than I can imagine him uttering Teachout's name in public. But I'll be very happy if my imagination is misleading me.

If she is willing to robustly campaign for him, he might.

LOL, why would she campaign for a corrupt politician guaranteed of re-election?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 10:14:16 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Ugh, IDC Tony Avella is holding on against John Liu 52-48 with 59% in. Sad

We need a left-wing Tea Party. I'm sick of this sh*t.

No wonder they don't take the left seriously. There needs to be some repercussions for being a sh**tty Democrat. Sure, sometimes someone is primaried from the left like Joe Lieberman or Albert Wynn, but it's pretty rare. Even William Jefferson won his last primary.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »

Looks like Teachout probably won a majority of New York's counties.
Right now she's at 31/62. If Cayuga votes like the rest of the Finger Lakes, she'll win it. She trails by only 5 votes in Orange county, which isn't completely in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies