If Jay Nixon runs for president or is veep, can he do well with black voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:17:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Jay Nixon runs for president or is veep, can he do well with black voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Jay Nixon runs for president or is veep, can he do well with black voters?  (Read 1411 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »

With the Ferguson, Missouri shooting of 18-year old Michael Brown, that has outraged the country, some progressives are upset at Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon for not being active during the riots. If he is on the national ticket, can he do well with black voters?

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/the-late-show-with-jay-nixon-110032.html

http://www.politico.com//story/2014/08/maria-chappelle-nadal-twitter-jay-nixon-missouri-governor-110033.html
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »

He's more likely to run for Senate in 2016, I don't know what this President/VP talk is about I don't know a point where he was considered as VP or seriously running for President. And this will all be forgotten by 2016 just like the Trayvon Martin stuff has passed from people's minds.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »

He's more likely to run for Senate in 2016, I don't know what this President/VP talk is about I don't know a point where he was considered as VP or seriously running for President. And this will all be forgotten by 2016 just like the Trayvon Martin stuff has passed from people's minds.
You're probably right.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

He'll only lose the African American vote if his opponent is Allen West or Ben Carson
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »

It'd be so weird to have another President Nixon.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 10:23:19 PM by Mister Mets »

It's unlikely to have much of an impact.

The general response to his decision to replace the county cops with the Highway Patrol has been positive. As long as the situation improves, and it can hardly go worse, he'll probably get credit here.

That said, when a state senator posts an expletive directed at him on twitter, it might suggest some issues with activists.

* Edit- The initial response to the highway patrol taking over is rather positive. That's good for Nixon.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ferguson-protest-ron-johnson-2014-8

There was some discussion about whether certain political figures took too long to respond, but that part's unlikely to be remembered years from now as long as there's some tangible action.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »

I don't know what this President/VP talk is about I don't know a point where he was considered as VP or seriously running for President.

Back in February, he said he might run for prez in 2016 if Hillary Clinton doesn't:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/jay-nixon-2016-103780.html?hp=l4
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »

He did right. He acted as quickly as possible.

It is unorthodox to put local police under the supervision of the State Highway Patrol, but the situation required something.  At the least he kept President Obama out of it.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

If Jay Nixon somehow becomes the Democratic nominee in 2016, he would probably win the black vote by the same margin that John Kerry won it in 2004 (88%). I agree that he is probably running for the Senate against Roy Blunt instead though.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 10:50:36 PM »

Why wouldn't he? He is doing his part to protect a town in his state from unhinged riots. Did he break some kind of lib orthodoxy?
KCDem

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 11:14:22 PM »

If Jay Nixon somehow becomes the Democratic nominee in 2016, he would probably win the black vote by the same margin that John Kerry won it in 2004 (88%). I agree that he is probably running for the Senate against Roy Blunt instead though.

Really?! Any evidence other than wishful thinking?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »

With the curfews and a protester getting shot, it seems his handling of Ferguson will not help Nixon.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 08:57:01 AM »

If Jay Nixon somehow becomes the Democratic nominee in 2016, he would probably win the black vote by the same margin that John Kerry won it in 2004 (88%).

Nixon ran for the Senate twice before.  The last time was in 1998, when he ran against incumbent Republican Kit Bond.  Bond won 53-44 that year, carrying 33% of the Black vote.

Nixon has historically had cool relations with Missouri's black community.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »

If Jay Nixon somehow becomes the Democratic nominee in 2016, he would probably win the black vote by the same margin that John Kerry won it in 2004 (88%).

Nixon ran for the Senate twice before.  The last time was in 1998, when he ran against incumbent Republican Kit Bond.  Bond won 53-44 that year, carrying 33% of the Black vote.

It's interesting how Kit Bond did relatively alright among black voters against Jay Nixon, though he wasn't particularly offensive/reactionary on racial issues.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

Civil peace is worth the restraining of cops and the arrests of rioters. A peaceful protest is no excuse for a criminal act, whether a violent assault or a smash-and-grab larceny. If I were in a peaceful protest and I saw someone breaking into a storefront window I would take photos and continue the protest. I would also give the cops the digital images for use in a prosecution of overt crime and to merchants to facilitate insurance claims. 

The merchants did nothing wrong. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »

Or didn't Bond have rather strong relations with the MO black community (at least for a Republican)?
DS0816
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon will not be the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »

Or didn't Bond have rather strong relations with the MO black community (at least for a Republican)?

I remember reading the MO African-American community was pretty pissed at Nixon (especially certain branches of the MO NAACP).  I think generic 90s Republican probably seemed preferable to them or at least wasn't worth investing much effort into defeating when Nixon was the Democratic alternative.  I could've sworn I read that Bond got like 33% of the African-American vote, but don't quote me on that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »

Not a chance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length