Where We Come From, State By State (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:29:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where We Come From, State By State (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where We Come From, State By State  (Read 2199 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: August 17, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »

I wonder if the geography of major cities near state borders skews this at all.

A lot of people in New Mexico were born in Texas simply because El Paso is the nearest major city for a large swath of the state; so they'll be born at a hospital in Texas, then immediately go to New Mexico and never actually live in Texas. I'd imagine the same phenomenon might happen in the DC area for VA/MD/DC people.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »

On a related note, are there any statistics as to the breakdown of those born in the US by state (in other words, how many Americans were born in New York, California, Texas, etc)?

Born in the US or born in a particular state?

In fact the maps reveal both of those informations.

I wanted to know the former, and I didn't see that listed anywhere. I would imagine that more Americans were born in California than any other state, although I'd also guess that New York would be very high as well (probably second to California). To make it more clear, I'd like to know the number of Americans by state of birth. According to the 2010 Census, about 270 million Americans are native born. I'd like to see that number broken down by state of birth.

Social Security Administration might have that info somewhere.

Most people don't realize that the first three digits of your SSN correspond to where your card was issued to you; for most native-born people, that's the state they were born in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies