Confirmation Hearing: TyriontheImperialist for Vice President (Questioning)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: TyriontheImperialist for Vice President (Questioning)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: TyriontheImperialist for Vice President (Questioning)  (Read 6151 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
« edited: September 13, 2014, 04:23:33 PM by PPT TNF »

Senator Tyrion is nominated to serve as Vice President.

Senators, you have up to 72 hours to question the nominee.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »

So, Tyrion, what are your hopes and plans for the office? Are you going to be an active VP like Windjammer hoped to be or do you plan on taking the laid back approach? I support your confirmation either way, I'm just curious.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »

Are there any specific issues that you would like to push within the administration?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:34 PM »

I hereby present myself to the Senate.

So, Tyrion, what are your hopes and plans for the office? Are you going to be an active VP like Windjammer hoped to be or do you plan on taking the laid back approach? I support your confirmation either way, I'm just curious.
Are there any specific issues that you would like to push within the administration?

Well, I don't think I want to be at either "extreme", if we can call them that.

Unlike Windjammer, I don't plan on administering every slot. Like Windjammer, I plan on being active in Senate goings-on and active enough to keep the Senate rolling smoothly along. But now that the power structure has solidified, I don't feel any real need to take on quite the same role.

I do foresee myself still being pretty active in debate threads and whatnot, considering my background as a Senator for quite a while.

As for my hopes and goals, I obviously don't have a full term, but I'd like to see the first steps taken to a pilot program of implementing a significant universal basic income to replace many social services and most of the minimum wage, but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect such a goal to become full-fledged in such a short period of time.

I would like to see the Senate Rules consolidated and freshened up, and I think that's a good project to undertake. I want to thank Nix for making excellent headway on that.

Finally, I would like to see something close to power and fuel nationalization, although it's a bit of a hot button issue, so we'll have to wait and see if there's an acceptable version available.

I hope that sufficiently answered both of your questions. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to expand upon.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:52:05 PM »

Are you ready to be the President of the Republic of Atlasia if Pres. DemPGH were to die or resign?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:30:44 AM »

Are you ready to be the President of the Republic of Atlasia if Pres. DemPGH were to die or resign?

Oddly morbid question....

I am indeed ready if that is the case, but the President is in good health, and not likely to resign, I don't think.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:59:24 AM »

I must say that after recent events I am a bit wary of voting to secure the administration's hold on the Senate, even if many would consider such an action born out of mere partisanship and nothing more. Now, I have no animosity towards Tyrion and I have appreciated working with him during these months in the Senate, but during the past days I have spoken to many Atlasians who feel very disappointed with the current administration, several of them people who voted for the Labor ticket and that have grown to regret such a vote. These Atlasians are, after all, my constituency as an At-Large Senator, so I think I should speak up for the concerns they (and myself as well) have after the past weeks, specially in light of public opposition to many issues regarding the administration.

Yes, I know, Griffin already talked about his belief on the administration's entitlement to continue the push for energy nationalization and similar policies, he stated that politicizing this would be a failure and he boasted as usual about Labor's skill at bending public opinion and so forth, but I seriously doubt that public opinion is truly behind the current road. Not only the polls are clear regarding nationalization, it should be obvious by now that many believe that the initial promises of moderation and pragmatism have been somewhat challenged by recent failures or strange situations and, of course, an increased role in relevance by the more radical wing of Labor (which has brought criticism from people from all parties, including moderate Laborites). This confirmation, whether we like it or not, is very political. We are pretty much voting for the control of the Senate if we consider this chamber is divided on two sides for most issues and hence breaking ties will be crucial, as others pointed out before.

I'm not sure about how the others feel, so any thoughts from my fellow party members and Senator Spiral?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 03:20:28 AM »

I think tyrion will be an excellent VP, and I will be supporting him.

Even were he not someone who basically shared my political views, and even if I had doubts about him, I would still vote Aye, because simply put, it's not my place to do otherwise. The atlasian public elected a labor/labor ticket, and the senate should reflect that by supporting whoever DemPGH chooses.

Of course, you could all dismiss this as just empty partisanship, but I think my record (for instance, voting to confirm torie, and basically every other cabinet nominee) on these issues speaks for itself.

Overriding the VP choice of the atlasian public, just because the senate does not like his views, would be a very dangerous road to go down.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »

Do you think Windjammer overextended and if so, would you still main the same level of involvement as say DemPGH's time under Nix's reign of terror? Wink Tongue

Would you still run at least a handful of slots?

Also what about disputes concerning interpretation of rules, would you pursue an impartial approach to such?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »

Do you think Windjammer overextended and if so, would you still main the same level of involvement as say DemPGH's time under Nix's reign of terror? Wink Tongue

Would you still run at least a handful of slots?

Also what about disputes concerning interpretation of rules, would you pursue an impartial approach to such?

I think I'd be closer to DemPGH's involvement than Windjammer's, absolutely. I'm not sure I'd say WJ overextended, so much as he was required to preside over the Senate for quite a while with the Supreme Court injunction. But I certainly don't plan on extending myself that far, regardless of whether we can call it overextension or not.

And yes, I plan on running essentially the same handful of slots that the VP has historically run, from the foreign policy slots to the executive agenda slots. No real bells and whistles there.

I do certainly see myself being impartial on the rules. The rules are, to me, something that transcends politics.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:29:51 PM »

Any other questions?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »

I can start a vote here in three hours, if that is desired.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »

It's time for a final vote.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:42 AM »

Senators, a vote is now open on the nomination of TyriontheImperialist for Vice President. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »

AYE
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »

Nay, for the reasons I gave before.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »

I have not seen a response to Lumine's post. I don't know if this has been hashed out elsewhere nor do I have time to hunt for such.

So for now I will vote Nay pending a response on the matter.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »

I have not seen a response to Lumine's post. I don't know if this has been hashed out elsewhere nor do I have time to hunt for such.

So for now I will vote Nay pending a response on the matter.

Lumine left me nothing to respond to. It was a bald-faced call to politicize this vote, not a question for the nominee. 

But if I must respond, I'll say that I certainly do have a record of pragmatism. And, like I've said before, I vote to make sure that the best version of the bill is the one that passes, sometimes meaning pushing it to a redraft, and other times meaning rejecting the bill outright, like as was the case in the Public Fuel and Power bill, which, lest we forget, I voted against after understanding the arguments on both sides.

I didn't really feel the need to say any of that (mostly because Lumine felt the need to write a speech during the questioning period), but I think that should hopefully sufficiently address your concerns.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »

NAY
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:32 PM »

Aye.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »

Nay
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »

I'm not a fan of continuing this whole energy nationalization nonsense, but if anyone from Labor is qualified to be VP, it's TyriontheImperialist. During my time in the Senate, he was one of the strongest legislators in the body, and he's more willing to buck the party on votes than most anyone else in Labor. I hope the Senate confirms him.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »

This is utter insanity. You'll deny the President to have the Vice President of his choice purely on political grounds? This is a new low, even for you, Lumine. No one attempted to do the same when Cincinnatus was nominated to replace Matt, and Tyrion is of sterling character and has an impeccable record insofar as bipartisan and measured action in the Senate is concerned. You on the right who would play politics with this nomination should be ashamed of yourselves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies