1841 Contingent Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1841 Contingent Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1841 Contingent Election  (Read 697 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2014, 05:09:30 PM by SPC »

Suppose the Whigs had gotten their way after Harrison's death and Congress forced a special election to be held to complete the remainder of Harrison's term. Who would be nominated by each party, and how would the subsequent election go?

I suspect that despite his loss, Van Buren would be best positioned to be the Democratic nominee again. He was the frontrunner in 1844 until Texas became an issue, so unless acting President Tyler somehow expedited the annexation process to help him win a full term, I do not see how Van Buren would lose the nomination. Given Whig dissatisfaction with Tyler, they would probably go with Clay. Tyler may have run an independent candidacy, as he originally did in 1844, and without an expansionist Democratic candidate likely would have stayed in the race.

As for the general election, Van Buren would probably have done slightly better in the North by virtue of running against weaker opponents. However, much of his Southern support would be lost to Tyler. Thus, I think a map similar to this would be the likely outcome (party loyalty may have given Van Buren Arkansas and Alabama, although I am skeptical):

In which case Clay probably would have won the vote in the House of Representatives. Thoughts?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »

Bump.

Reading about the 1844 election, IRL Tyler targeted New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey in hopes of splitting the Democratic vote to coax Polk to come out in favor of Texas annexation. With Van Buren in the race instead of Polk, it is possible that Clay would have won those states due to the split in the Democrats, thus avoiding the need for a House election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »

I strongly believe that Henry Clay would have ended up as president. He was the leader of the Whigs. The Whigs where in a good position in 1841 due to the economical troubles during the Van Buren Adminsistration. So in the aftermath of Harrison's death, Clay would easily win the election while the Texas issue is no topic.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »

I strongly believe that Henry Clay would have ended up as president. He was the leader of the Whigs. The Whigs where in a good position in 1841 due to the economical troubles during the Van Buren Adminsistration. So in the aftermath of Harrison's death, Clay would easily win the election while the Texas issue is no topic.

Do you think Tyler would have tried to win a term in his own right?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

Do you think Tyler would have tried to win a term in his own right?

I think he'd try.  IOTL he was adamant about the Vice President taking the full responsibility of the presidency to ensure continuity of government - and it seemed like despite all the stress it caused him, he did enjoy being president
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies