Rick Perry indicted on abuse of power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:53:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rick Perry indicted on abuse of power
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Rick Perry indicted on abuse of power  (Read 7419 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:55 PM »

goddamn Rick Perry is a badass

Democrats fcked this up big time, this is gonna give him a huge boost.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2014, 10:37:14 PM by JCL and the Geologist »

The Dems have so stepped in a massive pile of Texan Cow Poo. I'm not a Perry fan either but I have to Facepalm the HillDawg folks for trying these shenanigans.

Texas- R+15
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

goddamn Rick Perry is a badass

Democrats fcked this up big time, this is gonna give him a huge boost.

I'm pretty sure Perry getting a huge boost is good for Democrats.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2014, 09:58:50 PM by Rockefeller GOP »

Doubt he'll run for President if this get's as big as Bridge-gate did.

Bridegate got big?  At least for Christie, it kind of fizzled away.

EDIT: Also, this is a non-story.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »

Bridgegate damaged Christie's brand. This indictment is enhancing Perry's.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »

Perry: 'I will fight this injustice with every fiber of my being.'
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:17 AM »

I guess I was wrong about this being bad for him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 01:20:25 AM »

He definitely seems to have gone out of his way to make it look as much as possible not like a mugshot.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:05 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »

This is pretty badass. I may have changed my support from Paul to Perry.

Not surprising, based on your signature. Perry's response to this has been very Nixon-esque, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. This has been a very big boost for him, and I think Democrats made a huge mistake in essentially resurrecting his viability as a national candidate with this idiotic stunt.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2014, 03:27:07 AM »

After the booking, Perry brushed it off by treating himself to an ice cream cone.  He tweeted these pics:

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »

I don't live in Texas, so I have my own filter. Texas has some strange politics.

Elected officials have no right to interfere in the judicial process for partisan ends. A state governor may use pardons and commutations as permitted by the State constitution, but that is as far as it goes. The governor cannot fire a judge or diminish his pay (which is a constructive firing) for political purposes.

An indictment has been made, and that does not itself imply guilt -- just that a case for prosecution exists. That is all.

It's good to see that someone gets it. I keep seeing this really, really nasty meme that it's okay to blatantly break the law if you're doing to to "punish" a wrong-doer (alleged or otherwise). Does anyone think that what Perry did would have been just dandy if he'd done it because the person he was targeting was hispanic? Or gay? Or Muslim? The ends DO NOT justify the means - if a civilization start ignoring its own laws because it think that is true, then its doomed.
There are two aspects here. How bad does it look for Perry? Did he break the law?

The DA's drunk driving arrest/ behavior fits both discussions. Primarily we've talked about the former, but it's still relevant for the latter.

As Governor, Perry has veto powers. And he is also able to say that he will use the veto powers under certain circumstances.

He wouldn't be able to use the veto powers to remove someone for being gay, Muslim or Hispanic. However, a prosecutor serving three weeks in jail for drunk driving, who is videotaped trying to pull rank on the officers around her, is not the moral equivalent of someone who is a victim of discrimination. She did something that's clearly wrong.

She was not removed for DWI. She was allowed to remain in office. Even if such is a mistake, it is not the prerogative of the Governor to deny the due payment for her work; such is not within his power.  That the attempt to deny payment for her office is done for what looks like a protection of the economic interest of the Governor's cronies makes the veto look like an abuse of power severe enough to allow an indictment. The Governor has veto powers, but if he uses them for corrupt purposes he may commit a crime.

Judges are not personally responsible to elected officials. Remember: an independent judiciary is a cornerstone of liberal democracy (in the classical sense). It does not allow judicial misconduct or grossly-incompetent performance... or blatant non-performance of duties.       

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »

Not surprising, based on your signature. Perry's response to this has been very Nixon-esque, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. This has been a very big boost for him, and I think Democrats made a huge mistake in essentially resurrecting his viability as a national candidate with this idiotic stunt.

Did they though? Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »

Oops.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »

Did they though? Wink

If Rick Perry can make people forgot about his oops moment (which is obviously not going to be easy), I think he's a strong candidate. Before the debates in 2012, I thought he was the GOP's best hope of defeating Obama. He's a charismatic guy, he can spin his record as TX governor as a very positive one, and he can unite most of the Republican party behind him.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »

I applaud the Democrats for resurrecting Perry's viability, that way he'll be in the spotlight to make even more hilarious gaffes before sinking back into the mud.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »

Believe it or not, Perry's PAC is now fundraising off of this.  For $25, you can buy a Rick Perry mugshot t-shirt:

https://www.rickpac.org/donations/limited-edition-mugshot-shirt/

Found it in this story on the worst campaign "swag" ever:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/08/22/in-which-rick-perrys-mugshot-fundraising-t-shirt-inspires-a-contest/

Note some of the other fun items from various PACs out there, like the O'Malley 2016 apron:

and the "2 legit 2 Mitt" t-shirt from the 2012 campaign:

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »

http://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/Wires/Online/2014-08-24/AP/Images/ForgottenGovernorNoMore-06b2a.jpg?uuid=-8HEFiucEeS-nmDMRMAefw

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44716000/jpg/_44716128_mugabeposter.jpg
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:49 PM »

An interesting (now deleted) tweet from earlier today:

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2014/08/indictment-mischaracterized-in-deleted-tweet-from-perry-account/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »

I don't live in Texas, so I have my own filter. Texas has some strange politics.

Elected officials have no right to interfere in the judicial process for partisan ends. A state governor may use pardons and commutations as permitted by the State constitution, but that is as far as it goes. The governor cannot fire a judge or diminish his pay (which is a constructive firing) for political purposes.

An indictment has been made, and that does not itself imply guilt -- just that a case for prosecution exists. That is all.

It's good to see that someone gets it. I keep seeing this really, really nasty meme that it's okay to blatantly break the law if you're doing to to "punish" a wrong-doer (alleged or otherwise). Does anyone think that what Perry did would have been just dandy if he'd done it because the person he was targeting was hispanic? Or gay? Or Muslim? The ends DO NOT justify the means - if a civilization start ignoring its own laws because it think that is true, then its doomed.
There are two aspects here. How bad does it look for Perry? Did he break the law?

The DA's drunk driving arrest/ behavior fits both discussions. Primarily we've talked about the former, but it's still relevant for the latter.

As Governor, Perry has veto powers. And he is also able to say that he will use the veto powers under certain circumstances.

He wouldn't be able to use the veto powers to remove someone for being gay, Muslim or Hispanic. However, a prosecutor serving three weeks in jail for drunk driving, who is videotaped trying to pull rank on the officers around her, is not the moral equivalent of someone who is a victim of discrimination. She did something that's clearly wrong.

She was not removed for DWI. She was allowed to remain in office. Even if such is a mistake, it is not the prerogative of the Governor to deny the due payment for her work; such is not within his power.  That the attempt to deny payment for her office is done for what looks like a protection of the economic interest of the Governor's cronies makes the veto look like an abuse of power severe enough to allow an indictment. The Governor has veto powers, but if he uses them for corrupt purposes he may commit a crime.

Judges are not personally responsible to elected officials. Remember: an independent judiciary is a cornerstone of liberal democracy (in the classical sense). It does not allow judicial misconduct or grossly-incompetent performance... or blatant non-performance of duties.       

Legally, it was entirely within Perry's purview as Governor to veto funding for her office. The argument is that threatening the veto constituted blackmail.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2014, 05:43:03 AM »

Politico notes that even if Perry is never convicted, the prospect of a trial complicates any presidential ambitions he might have:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/rick-perry-indictment-110651.html?hp=f3

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »

Why do people keep on pretending Rick Perry is relevant?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »

It could have been funny.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length