Rick Perry indicted on abuse of power (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:15:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rick Perry indicted on abuse of power (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rick Perry indicted on abuse of power  (Read 7459 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: August 15, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »

Oops
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »

The way the right wing media is spinning this has to be the funniest thing ever. Yes, people are arguing that getting indicted will actually HELP Perry's presidential run. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton says she's dead broke 2 months ago, and we get: "IT'S OVER! MITT ROMNEY 2.0! SHE HAS NO CHANCE!"
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »

I don't live in Texas, so I have my own filter. Texas has some strange politics.

Elected officials have no right to interfere in the judicial process for partisan ends. A state governor may use pardons and commutations as permitted by the State constitution, but that is as far as it goes. The governor cannot fire a judge or diminish his pay (which is a constructive firing) for political purposes.

An indictment has been made, and that does not itself imply guilt -- just that a case for prosecution exists. That is all.

It's good to see that someone gets it. I keep seeing this really, really nasty meme that it's okay to blatantly break the law if you're doing to to "punish" a wrong-doer (alleged or otherwise). Does anyone think that what Perry did would have been just dandy if he'd done it because the person he was targeting was hispanic? Or gay? Or Muslim? The ends DO NOT justify the means - if a civilization start ignoring its own laws because it think that is true, then its doomed.
There are two aspects here. How bad does it look for Perry? Did he break the law?

The DA's drunk driving arrest/ behavior fits both discussions. Primarily we've talked about the former, but it's still relevant for the latter.

As Governor, Perry has veto powers. And he is also able to say that he will use the veto powers under certain circumstances.

He wouldn't be able to use the veto powers to remove someone for being gay, Muslim or Hispanic. However, a prosecutor serving three weeks in jail for drunk driving, who is videotaped trying to pull rank on the officers around her, is not the moral equivalent of someone who is a victim of discrimination. She did something that's clearly wrong.

But this is a case of two wrongs not making a right. Should the Travis County DA have stepped down? Probably. But that doesn't make it ok to then extort that public official or their agency. Using the veto power to force a public official to resign is either an abuse of power according to the law or it isn't. I think the legal question here is an iffy one. The law is vague enough that it can probably be stretched to make this fit. But in any case, the morality of the public official being coerced is wholly irrelevant to the legality of the coercive action.

Anyway, Perry will be turning himself in today for his mugshot and fingerprinting.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-perry-to-turn-himself-in/

Can't wait to see his mugshot, LOL.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

goddamn Rick Perry is a badass

Democrats fcked this up big time, this is gonna give him a huge boost.

I'm pretty sure Perry getting a huge boost is good for Democrats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »

*bump*

Perry is trying to get the case dismissed quickly, to clear the way for a presidential run.  But so far, it hasn't worked:

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/case-could-make-perry-2016-impossible-22338.shtml

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let's hope he doesn't have to miss any of the debates to testify.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies