Snes vs Sega Genesis?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:58:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Snes vs Sega Genesis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one wins?
Snes

Sega Genesis

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Snes vs Sega Genesis?  (Read 2394 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »

The debate still goes on today, I grew up with a SNES, it had Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. while Sega just had Sonic but yet a blood cheat for Mortal Kombat.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »

The Sega did sports games MUCH better, especially the NHL series.  And since sports games are all that matter on consoles....
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »

Super Metroid, A Link To The Past, Mega Man X, X2, X3, Super Castlevania IV, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Turtles In Time, Actraiser, Earthbound...

Did I mention that every single one of these is better than the best Genesis game, Sonic 2?  This is no contest.  SNES by a light year.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »

NHL 93, NHL 94, NHL 95, NHL 96, NHL 97, NHL 98, Madden 93, Madden 94, Madden 95, Madden 96, Madden 97, Madden 98 all better on the Genesis...the only game I actually played that was better on the SNES than the Genesis was Street Fighter II Turbo.

I'll admit that Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Metroid and Super Mario World were all great games that I did spend many hours on, but at the end of the day, SNES was aimed at children and the Genesis was aimed at teenagers, I was a teenager at the time.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »

This is not even a real question. Sega Genesis by 100 million miles.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »

NHL 93, NHL 94, NHL 95, NHL 96, NHL 97, NHL 98, Madden 93, Madden 94, Madden 95, Madden 96, Madden 97, Madden 98 all better on the Genesis...the only game I actually played that was better on the SNES than the Genesis was Street Fighter II Turbo.

I'll admit that Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Metroid and Super Mario World were all great games that I did spend many hours on, but at the end of the day, SNES was aimed at children and the Genesis was aimed at teenagers, I was a teenager at the time.

Sports games?!  Bah!  No use for them.  Super Metroid is eternal.  Madden is replaced every year. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »

Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, and Fire Emblem 4 are some of the greatest games of all time
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »

Sports games are the only thing consoles do good, at least the only thing good that I actually enjoy playing.  Well, the Rock Band style games too I suppose.....  No matter how good a game like Super Metroid is, I couldn't spend any serious amount of time playing it without getting ridiculously bored.  Sports games have infinite replay ability because it's sport and every game/season/playoff is different.  Once you've beaten a Metroid or Mario or Sonic 10 times, WTF is the point of playing it again?  I played an entire season of NHL 97 on a Genesis emulator last year, I also played SMB3 as I think it's probably the best of all the "old" Mario games....I got about halfway through World 2 before getting stupid bored.

but all of this is just talk, nobody is right or wrong.  Just opinion.  Which is different than facts.  Facts like PC's are ALWAYS better than consoles.  Facts like consoles are for children and the elderly.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:51:38 PM »

Sports games are the only thing consoles do good, at least the only thing good that I actually enjoy playing.  Well, the Rock Band style games too I suppose.....  No matter how good a game like Super Metroid is, I couldn't spend any serious amount of time playing it without getting ridiculously bored.  Sports games have infinite replay ability because it's sport and every game/season/playoff is different.  Once you've beaten a Metroid or Mario or Sonic 10 times, WTF is the point of playing it again?  I played an entire season of NHL 97 on a Genesis emulator last year, I also played SMB3 as I think it's probably the best of all the "old" Mario games....I got about halfway through World 2 before getting stupid bored.

but all of this is just talk, nobody is right or wrong.  Just opinion.  Which is different than facts.  Facts like PC's are ALWAYS better than consoles.  Facts like consoles are for children and the elderly.

Once upon a time, I had one of the fastest times to ever run through Super Metroid.  It was a little claim to fame I had as a teen. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »

SNES.  I remember very clearly the first time I beat Bowser in Super Mario World (my older sister never could).
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »

SNES. I don't care about Sports gmes.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »

The SNES is an incredible console. I daresay the best ever.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »

I only had a Genesis.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »

I never played with the SNES, but my parents did own a Sega Genesis.  So, by default I have to say Sega.  The Sonic games were cool and so, too, were the Madden series.  I remember especially Madden 94 and 95.  The console we had before that was the original NES, the 1985 console.  The next console I owned was the Wii.  I have never owned the Playstation or the X-Box consoles.  However, the best video game console has been and always will be the Atari.  If I could find an old Atari that works on the new HD TV's, I would gladly get one.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:47:02 PM »

If you can hook your computer (assuming you have one) up to your TV you can do that now.  I'd link you to emulator sites, but I'm at work.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »

One of them had Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, the greatest game ever. The other did not. Ergo, SNES.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 11:17:21 PM »

Best 3 consoles I've played have all been Nintendo.  The SNES, the N64, and the stupidly underrated Gamecube. 
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 06:52:09 AM »

SNES. I remember it was a Christmas present in 1992 when I was five years old. It came with Super Mario World, which I still think is one of the best games I've ever played. There probably wasn't a single level I hated more than Tubular in the Special World. The most fun was always beating a boss and destroying their castle.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »

Snes, no doubt about it. I still play with the one I bought a few years ago, but since I have few games I mostly use an emulator on my PC...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

If you can hook your computer (assuming you have one) up to your TV you can do that now.  I'd link you to emulator sites, but I'm at work.
emulator
ROMs (the games)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »

Case closed
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 06:40:35 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2014, 06:45:16 AM by DemPGH, President »

I don't do gaming anymore, but I had a SNES and so did my friends; while I never had Sega, I can say that the SNES was pretty cool. We all had the 8-bit Nintendo, so the SNES was the logical next step. In addition to some of the games mentioned, how about Tecmo Super Bowl?! Loved that. Played that a lot on the 8-bit and the SNES version was even better. I still have both consoles somewhere!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »

We had a Sega Genesis and it was great. As dead0man mentioned I was more in their demographic. I would have been 11/12 and my brother 14/15 when we got it. We spent most of our time playing real sports but in spare time we would play sports games.  I dont think we owned any non sports games, other than the ridiculous Altered Beast that came with the console.  NHL '94 was just incredible.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »

We had a Sega Genesis and it was great. As dead0man mentioned I was more in their demographic. I would have been 11/12 and my brother 14/15 when we got it. We spent most of our time playing real sports but in spare time we would play sports games.  I dont think we owned any non sports games, other than the ridiculous Altered Beast that came with the console.  NHL '94 was just incredible.

NHL 94 on the sega platforms (Sega CD version was the same game with slightly better graphics and improved sounds) might be the best sports video game of all time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies