Do non-Human transgender animals exist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do non-Human transgender animals exist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Spoiler (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Do non-Human transgender animals exist?  (Read 4667 times)
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/new-zealand-transgender-bellbird-_n_1967151.html

What do you guys think? Is transgenderism also present in other animals?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

I don't know why they wouldn't...
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »

Uh no wtf
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »

Yeah. Haven't you watched Jurassic Park? Tongue Some amphibians can change sexes.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »

I doubt it. Gender is a social construct, isn't it? Do animals identify as a "gender"?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »

Highly doubtful, given that animals do not have 'genders' in the sense that human beings do.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »

Highly doubtful, given that animals do not have 'genders' in the sense that human beings do.

How so?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »

I doubt it. Gender is a social construct, isn't it? Do animals identify as a "gender"?

Not really, no - that's why transgender humans exist. Unless we develop the capability to have conversations with animals we won't be able to tell what their conceptions of gender are.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »

Also, there are humans born who aren't 100% male or 100% female, biologically speaking. It's rare but it does happen. Why should other animals be different?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »

How so?

In that gender in human society is a purely social construct which animals don't really have (at least to my knowledge). I might be wrong though, I'll admit I'm still not extremely knowledgeable on gender expression/transgenderism, which is something I regret and really need to read more about.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 01:24:21 AM »

I don't think animals worry much about what gender they are.  They may have behaviors and relationships normally associated more with the other sex of their species, but I'd think a transgender identity requires highly abstract and probably even linguistic categories.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:39:08 AM »

How so?

In that gender in human society is a purely social construct which animals don't really have (at least to my knowledge). I might be wrong though, I'll admit I'm still not extremely knowledgeable on gender expression/transgenderism, which is something I regret and really need to read more about.

I have not done anywhere near enough reading on gender, though to my knowledge the theory on gender being solely a social construct is more or less limited to gender studies schools of academia.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »

Animals lack consciousness, how could they possibly have a conception of normative gender identities to transgress in the first place?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »

No, at least not in a human sense and not at this point. However, there have been hermaphrodites that have been found. 

Transsexuality as we understand it is a fairly distinct, human psychological condition.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »

How so?

I have not done anywhere near enough reading on gender, though to my knowledge the theory on gender being solely a social construct is more or less limited to gender studies schools of academia.

I've never really understood that claim. Considering that men and women have different levels of behavior-affecting hormones, it seems likely that there are differences that exist at the root cause of socialization. As an example, the different levels of testosterone between the sexes create a predisposition for more aggressive behavior among men. Is it any surprise then that the male gender identity is wrapped up in more aggressive behavior?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »

Thinking about this some more, I suspect some animals do have a concept of male and female.  They are social creatures, and complex male and female roles are often part of animal social patterns.  It's hard to say where instinct ends and learning begins, or if they can be disentangled at all, but the idea that an animal might model themselves after or otherwise follow a pattern different from their physiological sex isn't out of the question . . . so perhaps that would qualify. 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:17 PM »

Thinking about this some more, I suspect some animals do have a concept of male and female.  They are social creatures, and complex male and female roles are often part of animal social patterns.  It's hard to say where instinct ends and learning begins, or if they can be disentangled at all, but the idea that an animal might model themselves after or otherwise follow a pattern different from their physiological sex isn't out of the question . . . so perhaps that would qualify. 

Yeah, exactly. I'd also argue that all you just said applies to humans- the difference being that humans are capable of expressing ourselves in a manner to be understood.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies