Arlene Martel (TOS Spock's bride-to-be T'Pring) dead at 78
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Arlene Martel (TOS Spock's bride-to-be T'Pring) dead at 78
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arlene Martel (TOS Spock's bride-to-be T'Pring) dead at 78  (Read 555 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:59:49 AM »

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Actress Arlene Martel, who "Star Trek" fans know as Spock's bride-to-be, died in a Los Angeles hospital Tuesday of complications from a heart attack, her son said. Martel was 78.

Martel's ethnic ambiguity earned her the nickname "The Chameleon" among Hollywood casting directors in the 1960s, son Jod Kaftan told CNN.

It gained her diverse roles, including as a Russian spy on "The Monkees" and "I Dream of Jeannie," a French Underground operative in "Hogan's Heroes," a Native American woman in a "Gunsmoke" episode and as a Vulcan on "Star Trek."

Trekkies still lined up at sci-fi conventions to meet Martel and pay for autographs because of her role as T'Pring, the Vulcan priestess engaged to Spock in the first episode of the iconic show's second season.

Leonard Nimoy, who was the original Spock, tweeted his tribute to her: "Saying goodbye to T'Pring, Arlene Martel. A lovely talent."

Martel is also known for two former boyfriends. She was one of James Dean's girlfriends in New York before he became a star, Kaftan said. She also dated actor Cary Grant for a time, he said.

Her acting career began on Broadway when she was a teenager. She was cast as Esther in the 1956 production of "Uncle Willie." She was still using her birth name Arline Sax for her credits then.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/14/showbiz/obit-star-trek-arlene-martel/index.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »

RIP.

Sad
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »

RIP. On a related note, this is a very sad reminder that the original TOS cast is going to wane in the coming years. (Hopefully not, but Sad)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »

Apparently, she was also in two episodes of the The Twilight Zone that I can remember quite well. (I have yet to watch Star Trek: TOS, so I'm not familiar with her role there.) May she RIP.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »

RIP. On a related note, this is a very sad reminder that the original TOS cast is going to wane in the coming years. (Hopefully not, but Sad)
Last I checked only Scotty and McCoy are dead, right?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »

Yeah only Scotty and McCoy. But I mean, Nimoy's 80 now, and everyone else is getting along in years.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:36:07 AM »

At least all the Trek cast members seem to get to live till 80.

The actors from rival sci-fi show Babylon 5 started to drop like flies only a few years after the series had ended its run in 1998, with four members of the main cast having passed away since then. That's as if Forest DeKelley had already died in 1976 and James Doohan in 1983 or something...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:55:10 AM »

Yeah only Scotty and McCoy.

So what is Nurse Chapel, chopped liver?  She appeared in nearly as many episodes as Chekov did.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:58:54 AM »

The actors from rival sci-fi show Babylon 5 started to drop like flies only a few years after the series had ended its run in 1998, with four members of the main cast having passed away since then. That's as if Forest DeKelley had already died in 1976 and James Doohan in 1983 or something...

True, though B5 had a noticeaby larger cast, so…small number statistics and all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies