Did your mother keep or change her name when she got married? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did your mother keep or change her name when she got married? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did your mother keep or change her name when she got married?
keep

change

hyphenate

other

my parents were never married

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 120

Author Topic: Did your mother keep or change her name when she got married?  (Read 5723 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: September 14, 2014, 07:52:38 AM »

Why is the trend these days to take the husband's name? I cringe every time someone on my Facebook's feed has all of a sudden changed their last name. And if I were to ever bitch and moan about it, they would probably say it was their choice blah blah blah. Very well then, but the tradition is directly descended from when women were the property of men. Who wants to be associated with that tradition? Well, most women these days, inadvertently.

When our daughter was born, we gave her a hyphenated name. My spouse and I are yet to get married (we may, but it's not a priority). If we do get married, we'll adopt the same hyphenated name as our daughter. What's that? Yes, I, a man will be changing my name upon marriage! TAKE THAT FACEBOOK FEED! Professionally though, I would still go by my maiden name.

As for my mother, she's not the feminist I turned out to be, so she changed her name. That didn't stop some of my friends using her maiden name as a nickname for me (pronouncing it in the original German of course).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies